“A nice stay, with a few glitches” 4 of 5 stars

The Paper Factory Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   37-06 36th Street, Long Island City, NY 11101   |
Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Long Island City
PALM SPRINGS
“A nice stay, with a few glitches”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

Stayed June 3-5 two nights. We tried to get a room in Manhattan, but NYC was booked solid, and the rooms available were outrageously priced. So, we found the Paper Factory in Long Island City. Kinda weary about it, but the reviews were pretty good. The price for our Executive King room was $215 a night plus $35 tax/charges.

We arrived at 1030 AM after a red eye. Previous posters said the hotel was strict on the 4PM check-in time, but our front desk rep checked her computer and said she had a room we could check into right away. The front desk staff members were very charming and efficient on all shifts. We were a bit apprehensive at first about the neighborhood - heavy industrial. But in reality, it wan't that bad. The room it self was as advertised - very clean, and trendy to go with the total hotel motif. It is a fun hotel. The subway stop is right across the street about 60 feet from the front door. Easy and quick access into Manhattan.

Only complaints are that our room safe did not work. We reported it to the front desk and they said they would be right on it. We took our valuables with us. Upon our return, no fix - and no note or communication as to what was happening. We just decided to ignore it and take our small valuables with us when we left the room. Also - no soda/vending/ice machines. In fairness, they are working on a bar/restaurant which looks like it is 2-3 months away from being finished. The coffee bar is open 0730 to around noon. Sometimes the hallways can get a little noisy, but for us it was no big deal.

Would we go again? You bet! But, I hope they lower their rates when NYC is hustling and full as during our stay. It is a fun hotel!

Room Tip: Great bathroom in the Executive King. Our view was of the dumpster and rooftops, but who cares?
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Ron O, General Manager at The Paper Factory Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2014
Dear Jandon,

Thank you very much for taking time to write a review on the Paper Factory Hotel, Long Island City. It was great to read your review and we appreciate your suggestions.

Promising to have something completed and fixed is a given. But promising and not doing is unacceptable and something we must take action.

I thank you for your time and looking forward to being of service again,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Just returned from a 4 night stay at the Paper Factory Hotel and I'm slightly torn on what to say about this hotel. For the price, and knowing what hotels in NYC cost these days, this place was excellent value. The space is beautiful and the rooms are clean and nicely designed. The location was very conveniently located next to a metro stop which we used day and night. The staff were helpful and friendly. In some ways I wonder what more I should ask for, and yet I can't give it a rave review and I don't think I would go back. Two big problems for me were the wifi and the amount of light in the room. For the wifi, as another reviewer said, they shouldn't really be saying they have it -- it was so unreliable it was basically useless. The real sticking point though was the light in the room. The room I was in had beautiful big windows but the blinds didn't fit properly and the room each morning was so bright it was impossible to sleep (sunrise is around 5:30am right now). If you can find a way around those two factors this place is worth considering for your trip.

Room Tip: If you'll be travelling by subway, bear in mind the M doesn't run on weekends. Check the MTA...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Ron O, General Manager at The Paper Factory Hotel, responded to this review, September 21, 2014
Dear Parleek.

Thank you very much for your time in writing a review on the Paper Factory Hotel. The suggestions and challenges you had are extremely informative and it is something we take very serious.

I am glad to tell you that the WIFI has been upgraded and you should see a huge difference once you log in the next time.
With regards to the black outs- most of our rooms have the black outs installed and that morning sun is soon to be a thing of the past in all rooms.

Again, your comments and suggestions are appreciated and we are looking forward to your next stay.
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

This hotel was just a short walk to the subway station and then a short ride to Manhattan. We loved the interior - repurposing materials from the old paper factory. The interior is really nice and the public areas were fun to look at.The staff was so helpful and really took time to help us with directions. I wish the restaurant was open - it was scheduled to open in 4 - 6 weeks after our stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review of the paper Factory Hotel Long Island City. It was a pleasure reading your review and we are glad you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us.
From the decor to the comfort to our team members, it seems like we did our jobs.

Thank you again and looking forward to your next stay.
Stuttgart, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

This place is about 40 m from the subway station, a 15 min. ride from Times Square, so the location is great infrastructurally, but it is quite industrial.

The interior is not your standard 4* hotel but much cooler - it used to be a paper factory.... It is noisy as it is not sound proofed, but neither are most other hotels in the US.

Staff is very friendly. They do charge 5$ per bag when you want them to store it on early check out - but when I complained they let me off the hook…

I would go there again.

Room Tip: If you don't need creature comforts and are looking for an affordable hip place in a convenient...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Valued guest,

Thank you much for your review of the Paper Factory Hotel, Long Island City. We appreciate your comments and suggestions to some of our readers.

Please keep in mind that we have done away from charging for stored bags so please feel free to store as much as you'd like next time.

Thank you again and looking to be of service yet again in the near future.
Sollentuna, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

Such a nice hotel and super friendly staff, especially the night crew. The only bad thing was the line to the coffee in the morning, sometimes an hour(!) The hotel is located close to the subway and it only took like fifteen minutes to downtown Manhattan. I read that some had complained about the noise and yes we could hear the neighbors but it wasn`t that bad, really! Don`t miss the coffee place next door, they served fantastic omelet for just four dollars. We loved this hotel, especially the supercool design!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Valued guest,

Thank you much for your review of the Paper Factory Hotel, Long Island City. It is great that we have guest's who venture out of the hotel and find great deals; the $4 omelette is something I will try in the near future.

Thank you again and looking forward to your next stay.
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I stayed last weekend for Mother's Day with the family and had a great time. The room was amazing, the decor, the ambiance, the cleanliness and comfort... WOW!

The staff was extremely pleasant and paid attention to all our needs. The cafe in the lobby was great & I can't wait for the bar & restaurant to open. Easy access to New York City, subway was across the street and just 2 stops away. All in all my stay was excellent and I can't wait to be back.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Ron O, General Manager at The Paper Factory Hotel, responded to this review, September 22, 2014
Dear Valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Paper Factory Hotel. We appreciate your suggestions and comments and are working very hard to make this Hotel the best it can be.

Thank you again for your time and we are looking forward to your next stay.
Auckland, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

I have never given any place below 4 stars so this is my first negative review. I've been staying in many different hotels and hostels during my stay in New York and this definitely is the worst one by far. I read a lot of reviews online on several different rating sites to book my accommodation. I stayed in Brooklyn Loft Hostel and their service was a hundred times better than the service at this hotel. None of the employees take responsibility or know anything regarding the hotel. They didn't know whether the parking right in front of their hotel was allowed or not. They shouldn't even be allowed to say WIFI is available when it disconnects every few minutes and you have to reconnect. As a traveler, being able to go online and check bookings, look at maps and keep in touch with friends and family is key at this day and age. This hotel made that very difficult. I wish I had stayed in the hotel I was in previously because this has got to be the worst hotel experience I've ever had. Yes the room is clean but the service is so terrible that I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. Spend a little more and stay in manhattan or go to Brooklyn and get your money's worth. The area is not good for lone travelers, I didn't feel very safe at night. I think the staff here need better training and better wifi. P.S No fridge or kettle in the double room.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Valued guest,

First and foremost thank you for taking the time to survey our hotel. I am saddened to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us as this is normally not the case.
You have brought up great points and I would like to address them for you to let you know that we have made great strides to enhance the level of service we provide to our guest's
The WIFI has been upgraded to a level that this hotel never seen before, this problem is a thing of the past and we are proud of this.
The knowledge of the team members is always on going and it is something we have taken as our priority. To ensure everyone is aware of their surroundings and simple knowledge.
Again, I am sorry you experienced such a bad stay, but I promise that if and when you return you will see a completely different Paper Factory in regards to the things you mentioned.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly the next time you are in need of a hotel in the area.

Thank you again and looking forward to hearing from you.

Been to The Paper Factory Hotel? Share your experiences!