We were looking for a decent hotel for the right price, preferably near a subway station. We found the Paper Factory Hotel online and we thought it looked interesting, so we made a reservation. Overall, we had a good experience. We were aware from other reviews that there might be issues with noise, amenities, services, etc, but we didn't have as bad as an experience as others had. We would consider staying here again.
- New hotel, clean, good atmosphere
- Nice room, large windows made it feel more spacious
- Subway station across the street
- Free street parking
- Free wifi (a little spotty though)
- Friendly staff
- Close to Astoria
- Cafe in lobby, another close coffee place within walking distance
- It is noisy (see below for details)
- Can't control room temperature
- HDMI ports on the TV didn't work
- Housekeeping was a little off
The hotel is really nice, has an industrial modern feel. Our room was at the end of the hall on the 5th floor (room 527) and had large windows. It felt less like a hotel and more like staying in our own space, which we liked. The bathroom/vanity area is separate from the shower. Our room had a queen sized bed, a large full length mirror, tv (no cable), dresser, chair, clothes rack with hangers, phone, iron and ironing board, hair dryer, side table and lamp, clock radio, a reading light and usb outlets in the wall.
The windows all had blinds, which was good because the room got a little warm during the day. We could open them slightly which helped let cool air in. The room had a thermostat, but we couldn't control it and the hotel still had the heat on for the winter, even though the highs were in the 50F-60Fs. If we had spent more time in our room during the day, this would have been more of an issue for us.
There is a subway station right across the street from the hotel which was convenient. There is free street parking, but it gets crowded right in front of the hotel during the day due to the Mercedes dealership across the street. There is parking around the other sides of the hotel too, and nearby streets. They play music in the lobby and have a cafe that sells coffee and pastries/bagels if you don't want to venture out. They are working on a restaurant and bar at the front of the hotel. The staff was very friendly, and the hotel manager, Rinat, took good care of us when we checked out, asked if we needed direction or a cab, and was happy to accept any feedback that we had.
We read reviews before visiting about the hotel being very noisy, and the walls being very thin. I was concerned, because I am a light sleeper. I tried sleeping without earplugs the first night, and only made it through early morning without them. There are warehouses around the hotel and a truck was loading/unloading at 1am on Saturday and it was very loud. That same night a party in a nearby room woke me. Once I used the earplugs I could sleep, and I didn't have issues the other nights we stayed. My husband slept through all of this without earplugs, so it just depends on how light of a sleeper you are, I think.
Based off other reviews, I thought the noise from adjacent rooms would be very loud - I could hear people, but their voices didn't carry as much as I was expecting. That being said, we could hear them plugging things into the wall we shared, moving furniture around, and things like that were way louder than their voices carrying. Noise in the hall was louder than noise in adjacent rooms.
The hotel has been open for a few months now, and they seem to be taking a lot of their guests feedback seriously, and trying to make the hotel a great place to stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Paper Factory Hotel is a boutique hotel. A former paper factory that was transformed into a luxurious building manifesting a sophisticated style at great value. Only 10 minutes away from midtown Manhattan. Our event spaces cater to whatever you desire, from conference rooms to celebrations. We take pride in redefining the ultimate Guest Experience as you know it and making the Impossible-Possible! We look forward to Inspire and be Inspired! We Live, We Love, We Inspire, We Travel! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, TravelClick, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, Odigeo, Hotwire and Agoda so you can book your The Paper Factory Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Paper Factory Hotel Long Island City, New York