“They charged without reason” 1 of 5 stars

Nesva Hotel
2.5 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   39-12 29th Street, Long Island City, NY 11101   |
Ranked #5 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
Bucharest
“They charged without reason”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

They charged me for damage after THREE DAYS I left ( 76 USD). I do not smoke and did not iron so they did not have any reason. When I asked them why they answer : "76 $ is a fee for a burnt fleece whether it’s coming from smoking or ironing " like they did not know smoking or ironing. I will fill a complaint against them also as this is unbelievable. - breakfast does not exist. I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone. I wonder how booking.com picked them up. Accross the street is Holiday Inn - you should try there.
It is incredible.

Room Tip: On the other side of the trains
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Nesva H, Manager at Nesva Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
It is always unpleasant to have to charge a guest that damages a room or equipment and that is why we inspect the rooms carefully after cleaning. We have a new hotel and nice new furniture and linens and we want to keep them in great condition for all our guests. When we find that guests have damaged things in such a manner that it can no longer be used for the comfort of the next guest we do charge for then for it ,as is clearly stated on our policies. 99% of our guests never receive any damage charges.

I did have one guest pleasantly surprise me recently when unfortunately his children had been playing and badly damage a dresser. When I first had to charge them, he of course got very upset and said it wasn't their fault, as I am used to hearing of course. But he called back an hour later and said he had spoken to his wife about it and yes the kids did damage the dresser. He said they were tight on their budget and could I work out a payment with them to deal with the damage. I admired this customer for calling me back , and I did work out a payment that was less then the actual cost.

I am sorry this customer disputes the damage but we always photograph the damage and submit it to credit card companies when requested.

111 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Greek first
Alexandria VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed here on a moment's notice when I was traveling for business in New York City. All manhattan hotels seemed to be sold out and a friend recommended that I try the Long Island City area. I am glad I stayed here!
This hotel is in a residential neighborhood of Queens, right across the river from New York City. I got a decent rate for last minute (just over $200). The hotel is a boutique/European style hotel that was extremely comfortable for my one night stay. The hotel staff was super nice upon check in and check out. The room itself was larger than manhattan hotel rooms....very comfortable bed with ample pillows and a larger bathroom. The toiletries were great, not your standard shampoo/conditioner/lotion/shower gel. I had a skyline view of Manhattan which was beautiful at night.
The great thing about this hotel is that it's a 3 block walk to the subway. And it's a safe walk. If you need the train to midtown, it's about 4 stops. About 10 stops to lower manhattan. The line is the N/Q.
I was very pleased with the stay, I was only there overnight on moments notice, but again, very satisfied with the accomodations and location!

Room Tip: Not sure if there's an extra charge, but if you can get a manhattan facing view, you will thank...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Hi Lisa,

Thank you for your positive review on our new hotel. We greatly appreciate you taking the time out to point out Nesva Hotel's greatest assets, from our spa-like toiletries to our gorgeous view of Manhattan.

We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again very soon!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

One of the main reasons this hotel is so good. Is because of the staff.
They are so polite. And helpful.
Rooms are clean.
Heating is a problem.
Apart from that. Had a great stay at this hotel.
Thank you nesva staff.
P Kaur. X

• Stayed April 2013
Hi P. Kaur,

Thank you very much for your comments about our Hotel as it is very motivating for our staff to continue offering the best and improve our service. Each guest room is individually heated with brand new units and if an issue should occur during your stay, our staff would be happy to resolve the issue at once. Please accept our gratitude for being one of our valued guests.

It will be a pleasure to have you back should you choose to return to New York City!

B
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

The Nesva Hotel only opened approx. a year ago so all its amenities are still new and relatively little used. It's located close to several different subway stations, the closest one being 39th Ave. The neighbourhood is a residential area, with several churches and schools and I never felt unsafe walking there, not even late in the evening. In the mornings, I was even woken up by the sound of a crowing rooster - nice, but not the thing you expect to hear in NY! The staff are very nice and helpful (e.g. they printed out my boarding cards for my flight back without any problems). I stayed in room 704 (7th floor), with a very nice view of the Manhattan skyline (slightly obstructed by another multi-story-building which is currently being built). The room is spacious, has a comfortable king-size bed, a big cupboard, a TV, an iron, a hair dryer, an empty mini-bar fridge (there are vending machines in the hotel lobby). The bathroom is also clean and quite big, with a nice big tub and complimentary toiletries. The breakfast is OK, but nothing to get excited about: muffins, toast, butter, cream cheese, jams, joghurt, fruit (bananas/apples/oranges), oatmeal, tea, coffee and orange juice. It is served in a small kitchen-area on the ground floor, you can sit at a counter on one of 5 barstools, so it does get crowded quite quickly. The drawbacks of the hotel are few: the room can only be heated through the noisy air conditioning system, which also not very good from an environmental point of view, and there are lots of prepacked goods and plastic/paper cups and plates on the breakfast buffet, which is not environmentally-friendly, either. All in all, the hotel was very nice and I consider it good value for money, especially considering NY-hotel prices.

Room Tip: Try getting a room with a view of the Manhattan skyline on one of the top-floors!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Nesva H, Manager at Nesva Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
First of all thank you for choosing Nesva Hotel. It is with great pleasure I read how much you enjoyed our hotel amenities and staff’s attentiveness. As for the rooster, it has since been removed from our neighborhood. Thank you for your comments, they will help us improve and continue to provide outstanding service to all our guests.

Bologna, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I booked this hotel with booking.com for May 2013. Then I got an email, there is problem with credit card, so I tried another one (I booked five different hotels without problem the same week), but again was not working. So I contacted hotel, came just generic information they will contact me asap, but they never even reply, and they cancelled my booking. Not impress by the customer service of the hotel. What a pity, because on the pictures looks very nice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Nesva H, Manager at Nesva Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. Your credit card declined when we attempted to authorize your reservation. We requested a new credit card with booking.com. We are not able to cancel your reservation unless you do not provide a new credit card within 24 hours of the request, as per booking.com policy. The information requested was never received and therefore booking.com canceled the reservation.

We apologize for the miscommunication and hope to welcome you to our hotel in the future.

Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We spent one night at Nesva in mid-February, 2013. After we checked out, they charged one of our cards additional $170. When we contacted them, their General Manager Tim Westwig wrote us very rudely that those charges were for damaged curtains and smoking inside. Both of these accusations are nonsense, we didn't damage any property or smoke anywhere close to this hotel. We suspect that this was a way to cover their own mistake, as they had some problems with their reservation system when they were checking us out. Avoid this place, they are shameless!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Nesva H, Manager at Nesva Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
This was a complicated situation. The guest never actually did get charged or pay for the damage that was done to the room. However , it was a seperate issue this $170.00 referred in the guest comment, this was actually a mistake a staff member had made. There had been multiple reservations made by two different people but it really was a single reservation. The staff member did make a mistake, I personally apologized to the guest for this mistake, and we did submit a refund for that amount. Even though damage was done to the room I let that go in light of the staff making this mistake. So the comment left here is factually completely false and we think trip advisor should be more responsible to remove comments like this that are 100% not true.

If our staff makes a mistake we take responsibility for it and fix it as fast as we can.
Limerick, Limerick, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We stayed 5 nights at the hotel and enjoyed every night of it. The rooms and toilet (even the hall ways) were very clean, the cleaning staff is definitely doing a terrific job. The hotel is a couple of minutes walk away from the 39th Ave subway station and you're off to the city.

The room was a bit tight though but no complains with the 2 queen beds we have. A bit on the downside would have been a small chair to sit on, and that cleaning staff always tend to forget to replenish our supplies of tissue and toiletries. But other than that, the great smiles of the front desk staff (Katya in particular, forgot the names of the others) are enough to make us want to stay at the hotel the next time we visit New York. Very friendly and accommodating hotel staff!

Room Tip: Hopefully next time we're at New York, we still get Room 501.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Nesva H, Manager at Nesva Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Many thanks for posting on Tripadvisor. It is so great that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you liked our location and staff so much. Come back to visit us again soon, we’ll have our warm welcome ready for you!

Nesva Hotel - New York City Vista

Been to Nesva Hotel? Share your experiences!