“Customer Service was terrible” 2 of 5 stars

You added Q4 Hotel to your Saves list
Q4 Hotel
29-09 Queens Plaza North, Long Island City, NY 11101   |
Los Angeles, California
“Customer Service was terrible”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I booked my hostel there, but they were so rude, I ended up cancelling my entire stay there, despite the penalties. They provided wrong information about date changes on multiple occasions. I even changed bus tickets based on their misinformation. I let them know that their employee provided inaccurate information and but, would not make any accommodations. Some of the staff do not know what they are talking about and the customer service, especially from the manger, I believe her name is Sophia was terrible and I do no recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I was very pleasantly surprised with this hostel. The location in location LIC is good, it's a 10-minute train ride to Manhattan. Brooklyn takes a little longer, but it's still ok. The place is new and the build-quality is hight. I really liked the common area in the basement. It's huge and has a flatscreen tv, pool table, a big kitchen, sofas, games, it's the best selling point of the hostel. I've been in two rooms in this hostel, and the rooms facing the street can get a bit noisy, so bring earplugs.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I stayed in the Q4 hotel in total 4 nights in a room shared with 3 other people. The hotel is clean, people working there friendly and helpful. Of course a lot depends on who you share room with, but in my case the other 3 girls were very nice. My room was from the side of the Subway, which made it a bit noisy, but when you visit NYC probably you'll be so tired every evening, that this won't hold you from sleeping very well. Aha, and in the entrance to subway (where line 7 etc arrive), there is fantastic place called Commissary - just wonderful for breakfast/lunch! Grab something there on your way to discover NYC! Fresh juices, very good coffee, croissants and other delicious things!

Room Tip: MAybe you can ask for a room which is not in the front part (facing subway)
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I stayed on level 3 for 4 nights. The noise there never stop, literally 24hrs. Had headache and lack of rest during my stay there. Was terrible.
The only upside staying here was the staff who was friendly and helpful.

On last day, I managed to move to room 107 which according to staff was the only quieter room.

It is cheap for NY but not worth the while if you have other choices.

Room Tip: Room 107 is quieter
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I would recommend this hostel, although I may add, it's nothing exciting.
The price is ok for NYC and it's definitely good value - you could go cheaper, but with downs on other parts.
What I would recommend are ear plugs as the hostel is right in front of a metro line.
In detail:
- rooms, common areas, baths are very clean
- common areas are quite nice
- kitchen very well equipped, everything very organized (food in fridge labelled)
- bathroom in the rooms (see previous reviews: some ppl like it some don't; I think it's convenient, although it is of note that the doors are sliding doors and don't shut completely which might be awkward for some ppl)
- room size is ok, lockers under lower bunk, about 35 l backpack size (rather on the small side)
- beds: bunk beds are a bit squeaky (metal frame), mattresses are a nightmare
- staff: uhm... I'd say functional. Neither very enthusiastic nor very helpful or friendly. they do their job.
- hostel policy: NO ALCOHOL allowed. you judge.

Room Tip: Try to get a room to the back or farther away from the metro lines.
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised with this experience in New York City. The location is a very short walk from the subway station and it is easy to access Manhattan as well as LGA airport. You can tell that the owners care about the appearance of their property - everything seemed new and very clean. I loved that they had lots of information on what to do in the city as well as insider tips and boards where guests can plan to meet up to do activities - that is especially nice for solo travelers. I was able to check-in early because my room was ready, but if you happen to go early and your room isn't ready, they have no problem watching your luggage so you can go explore. I was in a 4 bed mixed dorm and I was very happy with the room. It was obviously very clean and new. The room was nice - not too many extras, but that helped with not taking up too much space. There were two bunk beds with lockers under the beds. The AC worked very well and the pillows and blankets were decent quality, especially for a hostel setting. There were no individual reading lights at the beds, which would have been nice, but it wasn't a big deal. There is a full length mirror in the room which I appreciated considering part of the reason I was in NYC was for a business meeting and I was able to ensure I looked okay before leaving. The bathroom was in the room and I thought that it was really very nicely decorated with a nice large mirror and a little bit of artwork on the wall. The shower was very clean, had hot water and great water pressure. There were plenty of electrical outlets in the room for everyone to use. The one complaint that I would have is that it was pretty noisy due to our room facing the subway tracks. It is NYC though and this is something that cannot always be avoided. The front desk gave us free ear plugs though which greatly helped and I actually slept a lot better than I had feared I would when I first heard the trains. The common area downstairs was very nice with a full kitchen, nice tables, TV, laundry and so on. I cannot think of anything it was necessarily missing. I appreciated my stay here in a safe, welcoming environment and I definitely loved how clean and new everything was. I would not hesitate to stay at this property again.

Room Tip: If you could get a room which is not facing the train tracks, you might sleep better.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

It's always about personal experience, but in my case I found the hotel no more than average.
Breaking it down:
- Room: I stayed in a room with 6 people. The room is quite small for such a crowd, the toilet and shower room are inside the room so if you want to take a shower, go to the toilet, or sleep longer, be sure you will disturb your room mates. The room I stayed was right in front of the metro line and the noise inside the room was incredibly loud!
- Staff: they are there to do their jobs. Nothing else. I've been to more friendly hostels before.
- Cleanliness: the rooms were fairly clean, nothing worth of note though.
- Location: Convenient. A couple of blocks from the city, although a bit far to reach by bike.

If catching a cab from the airport, do expect to pay around 50 bucks.

Room Tip: Try to choose a room with the shower/toilet room outside (if they have it). I also recommend a room...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Been to Q4 Hotel? Share your experiences!