“Perfectly fine...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 25 Hotels in Long Island City
montana
“Perfectly fine...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

We stayed at the Comfort Inn in L.I.C. for seven nights last month. The location was ideal (a block away from a major subway station); I've read some reviews about the "sketchy neighborhood" in which it is located, but we walked back from the subway station at four in the morning a few times, and never had any problems. Yes, there is a junkyard across the street which affords beautiful views of used milk crates and tires and other assorted detritus, but if you're spending your time looking out of the window, then you're not doing it up "New York Style!"

The room was small, and clean enough (although I took down the inner-window curtains because they were filthy, but we didn't need them anyway). The front-desk staff was pleasant and helpful and accommodating; they gave us maps and directions and suggestions for restaurants, etc. The continental breakfast was fine: hard-boiled eggs, cereal, juice, fruit, pastries; but we're not big breakfast fans anyway. Our room was cleaned every day--even though we slept in until eleven (or noon sometimes!) When we came back, it was always freshly vacuumed and restocked with clean towels and sheet and toiletries.

Before the trip, I scoured Priceline, Travelocity, et al, and got this hotel for $100 a night--sweet deal, especially in NY! We spent very little time in the room anyway, so it served our purposes well. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who just needs a place to sleep and shower before hitting the wonderful streets of the Big Apple!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2010

I'll keep this short. We made a mistake in our pre-paid reservation and the front desk attendant, Sunil, wen so far out of his way and above the call of duty I could hardly believe it. He moved heaven and earth to get me my room.

Because of his superior service I shall become a very loyal customer of the Comfort Inn, Long Island City.

The rooms are smallish, but very clean. The location is perfect. 1 block from the subway and about two minutes to Manhattan from there. The breakfast bar in the morning is nice.

Do what you can to stay here. Any hotel that has the type of staff, like Sunil, deserves your patronage and the hotel is good, too.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

Let start at the beginning. Most of the rooms face a metal scrap junk yard. A bird's eye view. No kidding! Now the rooms. The shower drips continually, and it sprays out the side when you turn it on. The tub drains very slowly so you are standing in several inches of water most of the time in the shower. The neighborhood is dank and dirty. Not a nice scene. The train tracks are nearby. You hear commuter trains all night long. Finally there's the front desk staff. They are totally apathetic and unapologetic. Worse, they refused to do ANYTHING about the problems. They refused to change my room without getting more money. And 24 hours after asking them to fix the shower they did absolutely NOTHING. My advice, do not stay here.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Chennai (Madras), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

Not bad to be sure, but the rooms were a little smaller than I expected. I had to crawl around my girlfriend if she sat at the desk. It was a smoking room, which I did not request but generally do not mind. I was just surprised they assumed it would be ok. the location was decent, only a few minutes to mid-town, and easy to get to from teh airport.

East Midlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

The only issue we had on arrival at JFK was getting the hotel to arrange a pick-up with their 24 hour shuttle bus, this was because we did not have a US based phone number so that the cab driver could contact us... unsure how many foreign visitors they get that have a US number?!?! Any way it wasn't such a big deal as we were bombarded with people right outside the exit doors offering us a taxi ride, we got a black cab even though they initially wanted $67 I got it down to $40 which was what the hotel was going to charge us. The reason for us wanting to arrange the ride with the hotel was because we emailed the Comfort Inn prior to departure to get them to make the arrangements and was advised that we needed to phone the hotel when we landed and they would tell us where to wait for the bus.

After that glitch it was plain sailing! The hotel was great value for the money and most of all the distance from hotel to subway to Times Square took no more than 15-20 minutes! The hotel is visible from the platform in the subway station.The subway was very safe to use, as soon as we got on we noticed that most of the people riding it had their Ipod's, phones and other gadgets out on display in their hands instead of hiding them away from prying eyes. Once the train moved away from the platform the hotel disappeared, we looked the other way and had a beautiful view of New York. We used the subway up until I think the latest was 12.30am which was still perfectly safe.

The complimentary breakfast was fine, they had bread and a toaster, various cereals, fresh juice, fruit, tea and coffee and other bits. Their business centre was free and good, I needed to print off my boarding pass so I went down to their printer, plugged it into my laptop and off I went. I could have used their computers but had already downloaded the passes.
I'm a light sleeper and could hear the subway trains but the noise wasn't enough to disturb me or put me off staying there again. Our view from the room was awful, I'm not trying to be negative just honest but I didn't really care as I was there to experience New York not sit and stare out of my room window.

The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2009

We stayed there for a week in september. We had chosen the hotel for ts proximiy to the subway, so theoretically one can get to Manhattan in a matter of minutes.

However, the neighborhood is so rough I would not recommend anyone to walk around here at night. There are no houses around the hotel, only large construction sites and boarded-up shops. This makes for no passers-by and a rather threatening athmosphere. Homeless people sleep on the sidewalks. There is lots of shattered glass from car windows in the gutters so I wouldn't recommend parking there either (the hotel has no parking lot).

We took the subway in the mornings to get to manhattan without any problems. We felt we had to take a taxi back to the hotel every night. It cost us about 15 dollars every evening. One night our taxi had to evade a drunk person lying motionless in the middle of the street. It was pretty scary.

Obviously this is not something the hotel management has any control over but it is a major drawback.

On a different note, the room was impeccably clean, the breakfast was good and the staff was friendly.

Washington DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for two nights to attend a friend's wedding. I'll get right to the point. The good things about this hotel is that it is clean. Looks fairly new and the rooms were very clean. By far the best thing about this place is the location. You can take the N, W, or the 7 train and get into Manhattan in less than 15 minutes. There is a subway station literally a block away. We loved the closeness to the city yet still be across the river. The staff are also incredibly friendly and courteous.

The bad are that the neighborhood is a bit shady. I wouldn't recommend walking around at night. They don't have a dedicated parking lot, but street parking is always available and had no problem finding a space. The worst was that they put us in a room in the basement. Clearly they had rooms upstairs but we got a corner basement room. Our view out the window was people's feet walking by. We were BELOW the ground level. The noise was incredibly loud from people walking and chatting on the streets and it rained one night and the rain drops hitting the concrete next to our bed wasn't pleasant either. And our room was size of a closet. I saw some of the upper floor rooms, they were normal size. Ours was so small that we didn't even have room to walk AROUND the bed. Ask for a upper floor room. We got snubbed 'cuz we were tourists. And the couple next door to our room were going at it (if you know what I mean) every MORNING so it kept waking us up. Walls are thin. We paid over $130/night and it wasn't worth it.

Overall it's a decent hotel but I wouldn't go back. I'd stay further out in Long Island.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!