My husband and I, after complications at our first hotel, booked a room for our week-long vacation in NYC's Long Island City at the 'Comfort Inn'. We used Priceline.com as our booking method, and paid for our stay in full up-front before arriving at the hotel.
Two days into our stay at the Comfort Inn, we began noticing several large-bite marks on our legs, arms, & torso. Neither of us could recall swatting at mosquitoes at all beforehand, so we deduced that the only culprmit could be within our sheets as we slept, ie, the dreaded bedbugs.
We called the front office and alerted them of the problem, letting them know we didn't think that the bites we received came from outdoor mosquitoes, but instead from the bed in our hotel room. They offered to inspect the room and switch us to another(something we were already considering doing due to the jackhammer construction going on directly across from our initial room), and we were placed into another room that day. We also had to spend four hours of our honeymoon in NYC going to convenience stores buying trash bags & detergent for our contaminated clothing, and washing them at a local Laundromat.
We asked to speak to a mgr at the hotel, but the head mgr was gone for the weekend. At no point did any staff member alert the mgr that we had an issue with bedbugs in our room. We found this to be quite unprofessional given the severity of the situation.
After we cleaned all of our clothing, we checked our bank balance to discover a $85 hold/charge from Comfort Inm for our room, something not discussed with us or expected, since we had paid for our room up front. When we asked why we were charged this amount, they told us it was a 'fluke' in their system, but should be returned shortly. This amount has yet to be returned, and has also contributed to a $37 charge in banking overdraft fees. The front desk clerk promised this $85 charge would immediately be removed, but we have yet to see those funds on our statement,
This trip had been made more difficult due to the hygienic & financial issues caused by Comfort Inn. Not only were we extremely disgusted by discovering bedbugs in our bed, but we also had to deal with our funds being affected by mystery charges to our credit card. There was never any pro-active communication from the hotel staff(although staff member 'Andre' was sympathetic), and we were never contacted by the hotel manager offering any apology or their sympathies, leading us to believe that the mgr was never alerted to these issues within the hotel. To add to the list of issues during our stay, the sink & coffee maker in both rooms leaked water onto the floor and table, and there was no microwave or refrigerator in either of our rooms, preventing us from keeping any of food or leftovers. We didn't ask much as newlyweds, just to have a simple NYC getaway. What we got was six days of torture courtesy of Comfort Inn LIC Queens. We will never stay there, we will never recommend the hotel to anyone, and while we hope some form of restitution for all of the bogus charges & bedbug issues, we remain skeptical based upon our experiences from the past few days.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Comfort Inn - Long Island City is located at the base of the famed Queensboro/59th st. bridge that connect Queens to Manhattan. We are just minutes away from Midtown Manhattan. We are located just 1 block away from NYC Subways - which is the best way to get around NYC. Located just 7 miles from LGA and 12 miles from JFK. A great way to stay in NYC without having to pay the high Manhattan prices. Free Wi-Fi, Free Breakfast, Complimentary use of Business Center and Fitness Center, Free Newspapers, Iron/Ironing boards, In-room Safe, In-room coffee makers all come standard with your room. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity and Choice Hotels so you can book your Comfort Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Comfort Inn Hotel Long Island City
- Long Island City Comfort Inn
- Comfort Inn Long Island City, New York