“Inaccurate information and poor communicators.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #13 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
Derry, United Kingdom
“Inaccurate information and poor communicators.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Pros - very good location being very close to subway where a number of main lines passed through. Rooms satisfactory for sleeping in. Breakfast satisfactory. Clean and reasonably priced. Felt safe day and night walking to and from hotel to subway. The view of a scrap yard that many refer to is no longer as it has been removed in what appears to be a redevelopment of the area.

Cons - only 4 tables in breakfast resulting in either a long wait for a table or the need to carry your breakfast to your room. Rooms were small. In advance of my stay I had sent a few queries by email which never got a response. I had to mail numerous times before I eventually got a response. One of my queries was in relation to the hotel organising transport from JFK to the hotel. I was told to ring the hotel on my arrival and they would organise transport for me. When I arrived I rang the hotel to make these arrangements. On doing so I was asked for my mobile number so as the taxi driver could ring me to advise pick up point. It was at this point when I gave my number which was a UK number I was told that the driver was unable to ring international numbers. I was stranded with no transport!! I ended up taking a taxi from outside the vaiport for which I was charged $125. Originally I was quoted $65 by the hotel. All along during my communication with the hotel they knew I was from Northern Ireland but failed to inform me of this issue. When I arrived at the hotel I complained about the situation I found myself in but the reception staff were very dismissive of the situation and made the comment upon hearing what I paid for the taxi that they advise everyone to use a yellow taxi.......I wasn,'t told that. Not a great start to the holiday.
My second request at time of booking(7 months in advance) was for a room on the eighth floor this was ignored with a room on the fourth floor offered.
Since my return home ( over two weeks ago) my son realised that he left behind the charger for his laptop. I contacted the hotel to see if there was someway if organising its return. Surprise surprise the mail has been ignored and I still await a response.
Overall I found the hotel adequate but found the staff unhelpful, dismissive and very unwelcoming.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

328 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Derry
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Having visited New York several times we decided to stay somewhere different.
This is a great hotel near enough to Roosevelt Island in a residential area of LIC. Public transport into manhattan is cheap and easy to use

Room Tip: High room away from lifts
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Marietta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Pros: location and complimentary breakfast.
Cons: very small rooms, tiny breakfast area of 4 small tables only - be ready to take your food to your room or wait for someone to finish eating. The housekeeping was below average - the kids have left chocolate cookie crumbs on the coffee tray in the room on our first day, and the crumbs have stayed with us for all 3 nights.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Look, if you want luxury, don't stay at a Comfort Inn. But this was a perfectly fine hotel in a FANTASTIC location, with easy access to two metro stations on several major lines.

Staff were friendly, wifi and breakfast were free and good, our room was clean.

If you are a light sleeper, you might find the noise of the above ground trains to be a bit disruptive.

The bathroom had some mildew. Definitely not something unique to this hotel, but a slight negative, nonetheless. I would still recommend the place despite it.

Stayed July 2014
Quebec City, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

We stayed at this hotel from June 20th to June 24th 2014.
As a lot of other reviews say, the front desk staff offer a great Customer service.
We had a large room on the 4th floor with a king size bed, very comfortable and the room was clean. We could barely hear the subway from our room, so we did not have issues with that.

As far as the morning breakfast goes....there is a lot of room for improvement.
The size of the breakfast room is way too small for the size of the hôtel, the breakfast does not offer very much in comparison to other Comfort Inn's I've visited in NY and elsewhere. I believe the management should try and do something to improve on that, I think by adding extra space and offering a few more options (like scrambled eggs, another choice of juice, English muffins, bagels for exemple, would improve greatly) BUT we did not mind the variety as much as the lack of space available. Then again, it's not anything major, I would return to this hotel anyway!

As far as location is concerned, it's great! We purchased a Metro card for 1 week at the price of 30$ for unlimited rides. If you plan on taking the subway a lot, it's well Worth it! You may purchase the card directly at the subway station, there is a booth or you can just use the vending machine.

The subway station is just around the block which makes it very convenient and even though the neighborhood is kind of run down, it's very safe to walk back at night. The subway ride is 10 minutes to get to Midtown. Either the 7 train or the N,Q,R train can be used depending on where you'd like to go. Ask the front desk staff if you need help, they're great with that!.

If you visit during summer and you feel like going to the beach....it's very easy. Jump on the N train to Coney Island and you'll be at the beach! The train ride is 1 hour but well worth it!

If you want food near the hotel, there is a little diner at the corner of the street, you can grab something after a long day in NY and eat in room! On that same street you can also find a Pizza place, Subway restaurant, Checkers and the front desk staff can also recommend a lot of places in the area.

Lastly, if you are traveling by plane use the car service for either JFK or Laguardia. It's cheaper than a cab ride and easy to book. Just ask the front desk!!

Thanks for a great stay, we'll see next time ;-)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I've stayed in LIC several times on my visits to NYC. I love the proximity to everything. I booked an early flight for right after I got off working my night job. I waited in a long security line, waited in a long line to board the airplane, waited to get off the airplane (thanks LaGuardia) and waited in a very long line to get a yellow cab. Needless to say by the time I got to the hotel, I was ready to crash. The front desk confirmed by reservation, gave me a key and up to my room I went. As soon as I stepped in, I stepped right back out without even turning on the lights. You know that smell you have after turning on the A/C in the car for the 1st time in awhile? That urine smell? Thanks to either carpet left wet for too long or the window AC unit it had the smell of a men's bathroom urinal. I waited another 45 minutes for another room to become available and guess what? Same freaking smell! Too tired to go back to the front desk. Too tired to wait only to perhaps find out that it's simply what all the rooms smell like thanks to a need to upgrade to central air instead of archaic window units. I love staying in Long Island City but this will be the last time I stay in this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!