“A Real Bargain Relatively Close to NYC” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #13 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
Connecticut
“A Real Bargain Relatively Close to NYC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We go to NYC about twice a month and have stayed at many hotels in Long Island City, which offer a great value compared to most Manhattan lodgings. On the plus side, this hotel had what might be the nicest breakfast of any hotel in LIC we have tried yet, mostly by virtue of the availability of mini croissants (along with standard, pre-made omelets and sausages) and the fact that breakfast is available there until 11 a.m. (Most hotels seem to stop service at 10, which is too early for a weekend, if you ask us.) Also, the king bed we had here was notably comfortable. Unfortunately, the area in which the hotel is located, while within a block of the Queensborough Plaza subway stop, is very industrial, run-down, and not at all appealing, but that’s true for most LIC hotels. On the downside were two issues: 1) The room was the smallest we have encountered yet in any LIC hotel. And 2) our room overlooked an enormous heap of scrap metal. Not attractive to see out your window when you wake up! The front-desk clerk said that there will be new condos going up in its place, though, so stay tuned! In the end, we got a dirt-cheap price, and we were barely in the room, anyway. So we might very well return again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

438 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Copenhagen, Denmark
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I stayed at the Comfort Inn Long Island City from the 1st of September 2013 to the 12th of September 2013 in room 807. On the 4th morning I woke from my sleep due to some itching bites on my legs. I thought it might be mosquito bites and did not think more of it. The following morning I woke by having being bitten a lot more and I remembered reading an article about bed bugs and cities like New York. So I started looking through the sheets...and to my horror I found one. I took a photo of it and killed it. I went down to reception and presented the bloody napkin and photo. They just looked at me like it was nothing and after a long discussion about the creatures all they could offer me was to send my clothes to be washed and me to change room. So I did and moved into room 407. I tried explaining to the reception that if the clothes/shoes I was wearing or my handbag was infected it would move the bugs to the new room. Again they looked at me as they had done everything they could do. So I left my suitcase and shoes (that I wasn't wearing) in the old room for an inspection by the pest guys. I however don't think that they ever called a bed bug company as the scheduled time kept changing (getting closer to my departure) and they would not give me the name of the company or a website or phone number so I could call them and talk about what precautions I should take. So I spend the entire day reading about what to do and I think I have done everything I could do when going home, but now I woke up this morning to several more bites. I hate this and it is no joke...now I have a hard time sleeping and have to arrange for a pest control company to come and that is expensive, time consuming and just a plain pain in the [--]. I am so mad with the hotel and their ignorant way to discard my concerns and not giving me any chance to try and prevent the bugs from hitching a ride with me. I even called Choice Hotel main phone number to get their help in the matter, but all they said they could do was try to facilitate communication between the hotel and me, but the guy at the other end would only call them once and just said that if the hotel did not want to give me any information about the pest company there was nothing he could do. So I wonder what it is it the hotline can help with....because facilitating communication is definitely not very helpful when it is not done and you as a paying guest is in a very uncomfortable situation and you stay is complicated by pests, semi-hostile staff and a hotline that can't/won't do anything about your problem.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
comfortinnlic, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to apologize for the inconvenience during your stay at our hotel.

We would like to bring to the attention of all readers:

1) A pest company inspected the property and did not find any infection
They left a personal note for the guest after inspection of their belongings.
almost $100 was spent for dry cleaning. All this was done without a sign of infection and just as a precaution.
2) Choice Hotels International heard the guest complaint and provided all information including Exterminating Company.
3) A complaint was filed by guest with New York City and they dismissed the case as well after thorough inspection and not finding anything

There is not much more that can be done in a situation like this where 3 different agencies find the hotel has done everything in the case.

We take these matters seriously and would never jeopardize the health of our guests when it comes to something like this.

Monmouth, Maine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I had the misfortune of staying at this Inn one night over Labor Day weekend - Saturday. We were booked to stay 2 nights, but it was not to be. We arrived early on Saturday and the staff happily held our luggage as the room was not ready. We left and went to the city for the day because we didn't travel 6+ hours to spend any amount of time in Long Island City - we went to tour around Manhattan which is what we did. When we arrived back to the Comfort Inn two men at the desk promptly informed us that he no longer had a room for us -something about a flood. Be advised that we NEVER received any phone call about this problem. The Clerk offered to try to find us a room somewhere else, but the problem is that it is now midnight, we are exhausted and the main reason we chose this hotel is because of the close proximity to the subway - easy in and out of Manhattan. We had NO intention of going to some other hotel unless it was IN Manhattan. After another half hour and when the clerk realized we were not leaving (we had no where to go) he got nasty and said he didn't have to do anything for us. I guess putting 3 women out on the street at midnight is OK by Comfort Inn standards. Eventually, and miraculously, a room became available. My take is that they wanted to sell the room to a paying customer - since we had booked the first night using reward points. If the hotels are not going to honor the points then the whole reward program is a farse!!! BAD service. And, oh by he way, the trash in the surrounding streets was not pleasant at all.

Room Tip: Just stay in Manhattan - its worth the extra hundred bucks!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
comfortinnlic, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
It seems like a duplicated review of the exact same incident reviews a week ago.
LIke in the previous review, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience and inform our other fellow Readers and Reviewers that a room did not appear miraculously but it so happened that We inconvenienced another guest and moved them to a different hotel so our Choice privilege member could be accommodated.
We have a policy of not over selling our rooms. BUt in the event of an emergency maintenance issues, we try to take care of our guests by moving them to other hotels (which normally is a very expensive affair since we pay for Transportation and higher costs at other hotels)

We will let the readers decide if this is good or bad customer service on our part.

We are in the Hospitality Industry and we know that we would not be in business if it wasn't for out guests.

Thank You.
Strongsville, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

First off, I called and asked about the neighborhood before booking, or I would nave never taken my daughter and niece to this run down area with bags of garbage on the streets. We did early ck-in, they took our bags to be held. Went out to spend the day in the city, came back at 11:40 PM to have our bags sitting at the counter and person at the desk tell me we no longer have a room due to a "flood".Long story short, there was no place to go, and he saw we were not going to leave, & around 1A M, it was a miracle, not one but 2 rooms appeared! He also told me "Lady, I don't have to do anything for you."Plus he also said when we finally got a room, that now he has to turn someone else away, when At 2AM! Another worker told me there was a big concert not far away. I was using my Choice Points, so my take is he wasn't making money on me and he could sell my room to someone else. Ended up cut the trip short, left in the morning because couldn't count on another night there. Plus the window air conditioner was loud and I was up all night. Horrible, nasty, scary people to turn 3 women away at midnight. I will commend the Comfort Inn for returning my points to me but that idiot should lose his job.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
comfortinnlic, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank You for taking the time to share your reviews.
I would like to apologize for any inconvenience during your stay at our hotel.

for our readers, we would like to clarify a few things:

Hotel gladly held luggage for you for free since you arrived very early and did not want to wait.
Hotel genuinely had maintenance problems and was contacting all guests that had not arrived which is a normal procedure for any hotel.
We accommodated you on one of the highest floors and had to inconvenience some other guest as you are a privilege member.
We offered to accommodate you at another hotel and pay for transportation but you wanted to stay at our hotel.
You specifically selected our hotel for redeeming your points.

Hotel offered bonus points for the inconvenience.

We take pride in our customer service and tried to do everything possible to make your stay comfortable. If there is anything else that could have been done in this situation, please let us know.

Thank You.
Albion Park, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

My family and I had two days in New York, middle of July; we were very happy with the Comfort Inn. The location surroundings is not one of the most exciting but it is very easy to reach Manhattan through the subway, Literally five minutes walk. The people at the reception are very friendly and helpful and the hotel is very clean. We had better time here then the so called five star Caesars palace where staff were rude and not professional. I have no hesitation in recommending the Comfort Inn. You will be happy.

Room Tip: We had the two double bed room, one of the bigger room thy have.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!