“4 days in NY” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
Grand Cayman
“4 days in NY”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

Cheap and clean option for your stay in NY. Only 100US per night and you are very close to Manhattan. There was flat screen TV, coffee maker and fridge in our room. I would stay there again!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

62 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
nyc
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012 via mobile

First of all, I had to stay here because it was close to my work because the place looks like a tv repair shop from the outside. Small dingy entranceway to a dirty, fluorescent lit room with a bullet proof windowed counter. The staff was very freindly and courteous, manger even gave me a break on the room rate (after some haggling).
Room was clean but unimpressive, rattling AC and dinged up old furniture, but the bed was comfortable, so I turned in right away.
One thing I discovered immediately was the walls are very thin, and as it was a Saturday night, people were partying and "getting intimate" in the surrounding rooms. I might as well have been in the room with them, (although you couldnt really describe what was going on as very "intimate"). some of the sounds were downright scary to be honest. One guy kept shouting "Take it! Rrrrrrrriight theah!" every 2 minutes from 1am till 230 in a thick Brooklyn hood accent... Meant I had a pretty sleepless night.
Then the cleaners are loudly banging and vacuuming outside at 7am, no idea why they would start that early. But they did, cheerfully shouting to one another in high rapid Spanish, and that was my signal to leave. There are a lot of budget hotels in this area, I'm going to check out another one next time.

• Stayed May 2012
royanu
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Motel is in a half-decent part of town. Walking distance from the subway and free parking. Room was 'okay'. So I gave it a 2.

Other than that, SAVE YOURSELVES! I wish I could have found something else inspite of all of the above. I even tried cancelling but I had already paid so I would have forfeit my money. Plus it was too short of a notice to go find something else. It cost us $150. This place (taking everything into consideration including location, etc.) is NOT worth more than $65.

Motel smells 'weird' all the time. The staff is useless at best. Their check-in time is at 2:30 PM. I got there early (think 7:00 AM!) and willing to pay extra to get in but NO. Check-in = 2:30 PM. So I wasted a lot of time bumming about waiting to check in and put our stuff in and shower before going out on the town. I wasn't going to haul all my belongings when I went to sight-see. We just walked around in the area and went to some restaurant. First they told us that we can come back around 10:30 and they will have a room. So we did. Alas! No room. We were to wait longer. So getting us to come back was plain STUPID. In the interim I had to go to the bathroom but, there IS NO BATHROOM for patrons! I was already a customer because I had already paid ahead of time! Yet, there was NO WHERE I could go. And there isn't anywhere else I can go for another 2-3 blocks. THAT'S horrible.

There is NO hot water in the shower. I had to bathe using a mug and reaching out at the sink for hot water. I 'showered' one mug at a time. It was horrible! :(

And don't even get me started on the breakfast. Do you see the photo of the front desk of the motel? Well that's the lobby. And that's where the breakfast is. It's a few pitchers of juice and EXTRA SMALL stale muffins. There is a small table and one chair that you can sit on and it's RIGHT IN FRONT of that bullet-proof check-in window. We didn't eat this at all because the breakfast is only until 9:00 AM. We weren't awake then. We saw this when we had showed up on the first day to check in. Also, that day I had showed up and seen this, I was REALLY hungry but I was not tempted AT ALL to eat this. In fact, it killed my appetite. The juice pitchers were dirty and muffins looked [very] stale.

They are currently renovating because there's another hotel opening RIGHT NEXT TO THEM. It's currently under construction. So I suppose the owner feels threatened. (And he very well should!)

In conclusion, SAVE YOURSELVES and pay extra to go someplace else!

Room Tip: The best room would be any that is NOT at this motel!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
W Springfield, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

I stay in budget hotels ($100-$140) in NYC every week for work. They are almost always next to a subway or highway, and usually fairly loud.

Cons: This gem is your typical low end name brand hotel. 2 story, no elevator, horrendous continental breakfast (danish, cereal, coffee), small rooms, outdated furnishings, etc.

Pros: Quiet - the hotels is 3-4 blocks from the nearest subway or highway and at the end of a street so there isn't even that much vehicle traffic. There are plenty of restaurants of all kinds within 5 blocks. You are still close to the subway, highways, and even Manhattan. The hourly rentals seem to be minimal.

Room Tip: Don't expect too much out of this except for a good nights sleep. Take a walk and see the resta...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Buckeye, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

I have been going to NYC for 25 years for work. This is the 1st time I have been shut out in getting a room for a 3 night stay in Manhattan. It was a last minute trip, and all the reasonable price rooms were not available. By "reasonable", in NY terms, I mean $300/night and under. So, it was either the airport area places or this place in just-over-the-river Long Island City. I took it out of desperation, at the inflated price of $299/night.

First off, I have to say the staff was very nice and helpful. When I checked in , they actually showed me 5 different rooms to pick from. Friendly people. But, the place is just not up to standard. Shabby rooms and dented furnishings. I know the room was cleaned and the linens changed each day, but the rooms need a major detailing in every area! Just hope you don't have neighbors, as the walls are paper thin. The do have a great coffee machine in the lobby, but the other breakfast offerings are scant. Plus, only one table, so i saw that a lot of people were taking bowls of cereal to their rooms. No fitness room. Didn't have my laptop, so don't know about internet access. New flat-screen TV's in room was about the only up-grade I could see.

Now, the location. If you have a car, they have free parking. If not, the subway is about a 10 min. walk up Broadway. At first, me being used to Manhattan, I thought I was going to be stuck in some dangerous ugly neighborhood. I was wrong-its actually a pretty interesting and lively area- Broadway past 21st St. has a lot of nice places to eat-lots of people on the streets. Plus, right on the corner is the great 24 hr. Bel-Air Diner. I ate there twice, and found it full of the real New yorkers you don't see in the Manhattan places.
It was pretty good!

All and all, i can't say it was a great value at the money I paid, but that's New York!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Atlanta GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

The bullet proof glass at checking threw me off but checked in anyway this is NY after all...got to the 1st room and i was scared into a new one just like it! The smell of smoke was overwhelming and I am an occasional smoker. And there were ants already occupying the room so I left. Did not ask for my money back just went to another hotel. Had them call me a cab, and I think it was the guy at the front desks cousin with a town car. He was friendly and reasonably priced. The staff was very very very nice and helpful. I am all for a 1 star hotel just not that one.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Stuttgart, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

Stayed there because we needed a hotel room in NYC in a short term, as we decided spontaneously on our East-Coast-Round-Trip to stay the last night´s also in NYC - after staying the first seven nights in that great city. The room was very small but clean. The small bathroom seemed to be clean but stunk a bit. The neighbourhood didn´t look safe - on a first view - but it was. We´ve seen no trouble - going and coming at all times. The subway is a ten minute foot walk along Brodway - where you can go for breakfast or grab something on the way. So overall i would say: You can go there, but I will not really recommend it.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Super 8 Long Island City? Share your experiences!