“Good inexpensive basic accommodation” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof Inn

Save Saved
You added Red Roof Inn to your Saves list
Red Roof Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3805 Hunters Point Avenue, Long Island City, NY 11101 (Formerly Queensboro Hotel)   |
Ranked #20 of 23 Hotels in Long Island City
Chandler, Arizona
“Good inexpensive basic accommodation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Right next to the Brooklyn Queens Expressway, about 3 miles from LGA and 12 miles from JFK.
Staff was polite and helpful. WiFi & breakfast, including waffles, bagels etc. was included in the inexpensive room price. Late night parking was full both nights, but street parking was fairly available. Very basic, but clean room with daily cleaning. A few minutes from NYC by subway, at about 25% of the price. Hotel was full of foreign, young tourists who appeared happy with it.
I would use it again for a basic place to sleep for the night, if you don't use any overpriced amenities.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing freeway are quieter. Try "Pete's Diner", a few blocks away for late n...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Ignacio F, General Manager at Red Roof Inn, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Thank you. I appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the Queens Red Roof Inn,

Red Roof Inn – Queens

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Location - Best part about this hotel....It's about a 10 minute walk to the subway, which is a quick ride to Times Square. Beats paying over $200/night in Manhatten. The neighbourhood looked a little run down but I think it's just old. Columbian restaurant close by serves up big servings. There was also a Williamsburg burger place close by - twas ok. Hotel was close to the highway.

Hotel - parking was limited, but I got a spot. Parking lot on the side of the hotel is tight. There is also parking in front of the hotel.

Breakfast - hard to find seating, crowded. Enough food to eat for me but my son got tired of the selection and wanted hot food. Oatmeal, yogurt, waffles, fruit, cereals, bread, bagels, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, juice, fruits.

Room - small - we were 4 people. Appeared clean. Not enough towels and depending on when you asked, you may have to wait until housekeeping comes in the morning. Every morning housekeeping would knock on our door and ask if we needed our room cleaned that day. That's the first time this has happened to us. Shouldn't housekeeping just clean your room every day - no need to ask?

The Staff - no complaints about the staff. They were accommodating. Not overly friendly but certainly polite.

Bed Bugs - About 3 days after I arrived at the hotel, I got a few itchy spots on my arms and thought mosquitos in Central Park might have bit me that day. The next day I saw a bug on a towel on the bathroom floor. I googled bed bug images and confirmed this bug was a bed bug. This bug appeared in daylight. There must be an infestation if you can see it in the bathroom...away from the bed..in daylight. Did a little more googling later on that night and saw that some people only react to bed bugs bites after a few days, so I suspect the bugs were biting me from day 1. Some people might not even react to their bites. I think I was the only one in the room who reacted to the bites...and thank goodness I did. If I had no reaction, I would not have inspected every piece of clothing and placed each piece of clothing into garbage bags. Took 3 of us 3 hours, until midnight, to go through all the clothes, bags, etc. Since bed bugs come out when it's dark, I thought if I left the light on, they wouldn't come out...But they did,,,I slept in the car that night, and checked out the next day.

I was still reacting to bug bites days after I arrived home. Got corticosteroids prescribed to help with the blisters & itchiness due to the bites. Left the clothes, luggage in the sweltering heat of the car, for
days, in the hopes that if there were any little hitchhikers, they would die. Then washed/dried all the clothes. Left all the luggage in the garage for a month. Took a few weeks before all the blisters fell off. I still have scars where the bigger blisters were. Spent more time learning about these critters and worrying that I brought them home, given they can survive without a meal for months.

I would not recommend it...Although very reasonably priced it's not worth the $$ in savings in exchange for bed bug bites and the effort you have to put in to prevent them from coming home with you.

In fairness, I heard that NYC is the worst place wrt bed bug infestations, but maybe housekeeping should make it part of their job to vacuum each room, every day, instead of finding a way to skip out.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

We stayed here during the weekend of the New York Marathon. Very good location and not nearly the price of staying on Manhattan. You can take the shuttle service to the nearby subway station and catch the Number 7 into Manhattan with little trouble. We chose to walk to and from the station and found the neighborhood part of the New York experience. We are small town people and this was all very different for us. We never felt unsafe, even when getting off the train late in the evening.
As for the hotel, it is a basic property, average hotel breakfast, average cleanliness for NY, helpful and pleasant staff. It is right by the freeway, but with the fan of the AC unit on it never bothered our sleep. I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Ignacio F, General Manager at Red Roof Inn, responded to this review, November 17, 2013

Falkirk, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

We turned up at the Red Roof Inn and was pleasantly surprised by the hotel. Its location is awesome and the free shuttle service to the train station is handy. 10 mins into times square. All staff were very kind and helpful. The only reason I did not give it 5 stars was we had a room at the side of the expressway and you could hear those impatient new york car drivers peeping their horns until evening. And the breakfast could have had a better selection but was still great.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not beside the expressway
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
I will make sure to share your comments with the rest of our team. Feedback from our guests is always welcome as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our service, also I will like to apologies about the noise at the high way bother you during you rest time.

San José, San Jose, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Good price in a location very close to Manhattan. We came to this hotel through Hotwire and it was a great pick. Very good priced, very close to town, a little bit far from train station but management solved it by having a free shuttle! Luis at the front desk is a great guy always trying to help!
Would go back there.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Ignacio F, General Manager at Red Roof Inn, responded to this review, November 1, 2013

Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We arrived at the red roof inn at 11.00pm and were met by friendly check in staff. When we went to our room we could smell dampness but we were that excited to be there after a long journey we left it. In the morning we went to breakfast which was very busy. We just got a couple of yoghurts and took them to our room. The room was dusty and needing a hoover and clean.
We generally left the hotel about 11.00 and did not return till very late. It's a great location and a good neighbourhood, some good pubs and takeaways close by.
Overall we enjoyed our stay, however, the only suggestions I would make would be that the rooms could be cleaner, ours certainly had not been hoovered properly the whole time we stayed and that breakfast finished too early at 9.00am when we were still sleeping from the night before. We also had housekeeping chap on our door at around 8.00am on a couple of occasions.
New York was amazing though and we will certainly be back.

Room Tip: get a room at the back if traffic bothers you, it was not a problem for us though.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Ignacio F, General Manager at Red Roof Inn, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Please take my apologies for any inconvenience, I will definite I will have our housekeeping department take action’s on the cleaning part, I will do all my best to have rectify this issues so we can serve you better on the future , I will make sure to share your comments with the rest of our team

Red Roof Inn - Queens
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I'm going to try to make this more subjective and objective and as non-judgmental as possible. They got my name and email address wrong on the reservation; the first room they had for us was unprepared in that the beds were unmade; the room we moved into had mold in the bathroom; the room's phone jacks were falling out of the wall; some of the switches were out altogether; the room's curtains were not properly hanging; that room's toilet kept running; the room's sink leaked out of the handle when turned on; the room's clock and phone did not work; the room cost roughly $200 for 2 people for one night with all of this stuff present. I can say more but I'm afraid the rest of it will come off as an opinionated rant and won't accomplish my objective of successfully ruining this red roof inn's reputation.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel aside from this one, for the price of this one, if you pay ten to twenty dolla...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Ignacio F, General Manager at Red Roof Inn, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Please take my apologies for any inconvenience, and am sure I will take care this issues personal so this don’t happen again, I hope you give us the opportunity to serve in the future, and I sure that time will be much better, so our hotel be in your future plans, I will make sure to share your comments with the rest of our team

Red Roof Inn - Queens

Been to Red Roof Inn? Share your experiences!