“Fantastic place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof Inn

You added Red Roof Inn to your Saves list
Red Roof Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3805 Hunters Point Avenue, Long Island City, NY 11101 (Formerly Queensboro Hotel)   |
Ranked #21 of 25 Hotels in Long Island City
London, England, United Kingdom
“Fantastic place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Location; excellent- a taxi from JFK was $35 and took about 50 mins, Carmel Limo always do money off vouchers and their cars are clean with reliable drivers. A 10 mins (slow) walk to the metro then a 7 train had us in Manhattan in 30 minutes, the free hotel shuttle will take you to the station in 5 mins or you can hail a taxi at $4. Lots of shops and restaurants open til very late or 24 hours meant busy streets, we walked to the station every morning and evening and never felt unsafe.

Amenities; clean microwave, fridge and coffee making machine in the room were invaluable. Wifi signal was good all over the hotel.

Cleanliness; perfect, housekeeping were very efficient

Staff; really helpful and friendly, always happy to give advice

Breakfast; the professional picture supplied is incorrect (maybe an old one before the ownership change) the seating area is very small with too little tables available for a full house (5/6 tables roughly). We had breakfast just once there as we couldn't be bothered to wait around for a table or take breakfast back to our room. However it was well stocked, clean and had a nice choice of food. The breakfast area was the only downside but really that is all and it cannot be helped as the hotel lobby isn't that big- you can always take breakfast back to your room. It is definitely NOT a reason to overlook staying here.

Stuff I'd recommend:

Buy a 7 day Metro pass for $30- they're invaluable for getting around the 24 hour system without hassle

Petes 24 hour diner opposite the Metro (by the gas station)- food was amazing, great value for money and superlovely staff

For souvenirs, a few doors down from Petes there are heaps of shops that sell exactly the same stuff you'd find in Times Square shops for a fraction of the cost,

Overall, really good value for money and will stay there again without doubt

Room Tip: Second floor (room 204) was very very quiet
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ignacio F, General Manager at Red Roof Inn, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Thank you. I appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the Queens Red Roof Inn,

Red Roof Inn – Queens

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Hello. I read some of the reviews on Trip advsior and was quite unsure about staying here but I can happily recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a good value stay close to Manhattan. As much as I feel strongly about giving the Red Roof Inn a positive review I feel equally strongly about pointing out how unreasonable some of the other reviewers have been about this hotel.

Firstly, my review. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Everybody said good morning and if I asked any questions they either could answer them or would find out the answer. The rooms were perfectly adequate and plenty large enough. We had a very good nights sleep. Tea and coffee were provided and there was a flat screen TV should you want it. Breakfast was provided free of charge. Our room was cleaned to a high standard. I have no complaints whatsoever. Plus free parking. An American friend came to see us and he was allowed to park at the hotel for a few hours.

My response to some of the ridiculous criticisms of this hotel are as follows..

The rooms are too small - That is rubbish. How much room do you want!?

The staff are not helpful or friendly - Nobody I spoke to at the hotel had anything other than a very positive experience of the staff!

The breakfast area is too small and the breakfast is very limited. - Firstly the breakfast is free and varied enough for anyone. Waffles, Bagels, Toast, Cereal, Fruit etc. Plenty of juice and hot beverages. The breakfast area was empty enough for us to sit down most days. If we came down a little later a table soon became available. There are other seats you can use but the image created by one reviewer that breakfast was a nightmare is totally untrue. I suppose the breakfast area could be bigger but then some of the rooms would have to be taken away to facilitate this. The net result of that of course would be higher room prices. So be careful what you wish for.

Here's the thing that struck me. I have stayed in New York many times, always in the centre of Manhattan and always at a 4 to 5 star hotel. There were 3 porters in full uniform at the doors at all times at that hotel. Having not been to the USA for 7 years I naturally looked at staying there first this time. The trouble is the cost is now $3000 for the 5 nights I was intending to stay compared to the $600 it cost me last time! I am not a millionaire so was very happy to find the Red Roof hotel which cost me $2400 less for a hotel room and gave me a free breakfast as well! People moan on here that they have a 10 minute walk to the subway station from the hotel plus 15 minutes on the train to get into Manhattan, yet we all spend a lot of our days walking around the city or getting from one place to the other on the subway, a little extra is worth it if the savings are that great isn't it? The hotel even provide a shuttle service to the subway once an hour which you book with them, again free of charge and if you want picking up you call them and they come and get you!

My 5 star hotel of the past did not provide breakfast nor many of the other extras the Red Roof provide for free. I did notice however the lack of 3 porters on the door when I had a sneaky look at it when I got into the city and who knows what else had changed in 7 years other than the 5 fold price increase!

When we arrived at the Red Roof we did not have the King sized bed room I had been promised by the company I booked my trip through, THE FLIGHT CENTRE! After travelling for 12 hours in total I did not think my stay had got off to a very good start. Cutting a long story short it was THE FLIGHT CENTRE who had actually lied and said they had spoken to the hotel to confirm the correct reservation, they hadn't. The hotel manager came out to look into the issue personally and apologised for the problem. I made it clear this was not the fault of the hotel staff and I would be directing my anger at the correct target back in the UK. I wonder how many times third party organisations drop the ball on bookings only for the hotel to take the stick for it!? The manager was unable to rectify the problem at the time as the hotel was full.

If you want luxury then Manhattan is the place for you but if you're considering this hotel then price is obviously an issue. We would rather spend our money enjoying our holiday and buying things we want rather than spending it on a room that we will mostly be asleep in albeit in the city itself. Hotels such as the Red Roof offer an affordable way of visiting New York these days. What we saw of it we actually liked Long Island city. We ate there a couple of times and the food was very good. There are no shortage of places to eat that's for sure.

Stay here with complete confidence and enjoy New York.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of the hotel are away from the road
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ignacio F, General Manager at Red Roof Inn, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
I will make sure to share your comments with the rest of our team. Feedback from our guests is always welcome as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our service, I’m very sorry the inconvenience about the booking trouble, but at am glad you have a great experience stay at our hotel .

New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Good help and service from the staff. The rooms were ok, but not luxurious - those we lived in were placed at the main level (half basement) and one of them smelled a bit because of high humidity. But the rooms were clean. There was too much noise in the mornings because of the breakfast-area, that was situated at the same floor. We recommend to order a room at the 1. floor og higher. The breakfast was good and well managed by the staff (a lady was filling up bread, coffee etc., so there was allways enough food). Not too much space in the breakfast area, so we had to wait for someone to leave. The location in NY was ok - 10-15 min. walk to subway station and 15 min. subwayride to Grand Central Station or Times Square. No problems with wireless internet connection. All in all good value for the money - but don't expect luxery.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Ignacio F, General Manager at Red Roof Inn, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thank you. I appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the Queens Red Roof Inn ,

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

During the summer months, we visited NYC and decided to stay outside of Manhattan to keep the cost down. And this hotel definetely was affordable.
With free parking and breakfast, it is an awesome value. Breakfast may be crowded at times, but you can easily take your yogurt, bagel, etc to your room. Although no 'hot' items, it was plenty to get you started for the day.
Parking was outdoor at the back of the hotel. Beware if you are driving a larger van or truck (I guess you should beware to take a large vehicle into NYC anyways). We arrived on a Sunday evening, and had plenty of parking spots to choose from (we didnt move the car until checkout) but did noticed that one night it was all full. Not sure what arrangements were for those that couldnt park on the property.
Rooms are sufficient. And with adequate fridge & microwave. Our shower takes a long time to heat up. Free hotel shuttle to the nearby subway station (20 min subway ride into Times Square) or about a 10min walk. Near the subway station was McDonald's and many other restaurants, also a 24hr diner.
Staff are always helpful, and polite. We would stay here again if we ever visit NYC again. (not really our type of city, or travel destination)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Please take my apologies for the inconvenience about the mold we take a quick action on this issues. I will make sure to share your comments with the rest of our team

Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Tiny efficient room with a fridge & microwave. Comfortable bed. Friendly staff. They do not allow check-in before 3pm. No room to store luggage other than sitting in the open lobby. Bathroom had new sink & counter top but black mold around the bathtub edges. No restaurants nearby. About five blocks/15 min walk from the subway got old after walking all day in NYC. Cab from LaGuardia was less than twenty dollars.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Please take my apologies for the inconvenience about the mold we take a quick action on these issues, also we do allow to do early C/I but this depending if we have rooms available from de night before, I will make sure to share your comments with the rest of our team

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Obtained very good rates through Expedia and was not sure what to expect on arrival. Room was good size, clean and although facing the main road I was unable to hear the traffic noise. Had problem with shower rail which I pointed out to reception and amazingly it was put right when I returned later. Breakfast was plentiful, well prepared and good standard. The only people I heard complaining were AMERICANS wHo I think expected to be offered a whole steak with extras for breakfast. Seating could be a problem but with patience a seat always became available.

I was worried about being out late in NY but the 10 minute walk back to the hotel from the subway was well lit and appeared to be very safe.

Would definitely stay again. Well done.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Halls Head
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Had a pleasant stay here for 4 days and really had no problems. everything looked pretty clean to me and room size was adequate. The staff were helpful in general and overall friendly.If your looking for a good standard everyday place this is fine. 10 minute walk to subway.

Room Tip: Room on the opposite side of the freeway side the best bet.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Red Roof Inn – Queens

Been to Red Roof Inn? Share your experiences!