“Review From Spain” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof Inn

Hotels.com Priceline.com
Red Roof Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3805 Hunters Point Avenue, Long Island City, NY 11101 (Formerly Queensboro Hotel)   |

338 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for five nights in April 2013. The general reception area was undergoing refurbishment, which was slightly off putting - however, staff were friendly and the rooms were clean and average sized with a fridge and microwave. The lamp in the room didn't work however.

Breakfast was your average continental style breakfast - finishes serving at 9am and everything gets locked away at that point. Coffee/tea etc available all day though.

The area is safe and a nice walk from 40 st station which will take you straight into the City.

Overall great value for money, with a little room for improvement!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Ignacio F, General Manager at Red Roof Inn, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you and I appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the Queens Red Roof, and please take our apologies about the inconvenience of the light didn't work but we do take actions so this problem don't happen again..

Ignacio Fonseca

Red Roof Inn - Queens
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

and I LOVED our stay at the Red Roof Inn. We visited NYC to run the half marathon on St Paddy's Day, so most of the hotels were booked in the city. We found Red Roof via Trip Advisor, the rates were good & we went for it. Having never been to NY myself, the entire journey from Seattle was new for me. We arrived around 3:30 in the afternoon...took a train & then a subway, then hoofed it to the Red Roof, having got off the subway at the wrong spot,we had a pretty good hike to the hotel. We finally made it, after a long, COLD walk.....but fortunately greeted by a gentleman named Valentino, who was very friendly & very accomodating. Our room was small, and yes, the hotel was under some renovation in the lobby area....no big deal. The room was clean & perfect for what we needed. It wasn't the Ritz, but that's not at all what we expected. What is WAS, was a cast of characters that were absolutely GREAT...right down to Toni (aka Super-T) & Eli, our shuttle drivers. They took very good care of us, both late at night, and the morning of our marathon, at 4 AM.... And can I just say that the bed was the MOST COMFORTABLE bed ever!! We covered a lot of miles on foot during our 7 day stay, and that bed was a little slice of heaven. Our maid service gals were delightful, and very understanding of our crazy schedule..... we visited a LaQuinta just to see about pricing for when we come back in December... they were not friendly, the lobby smelled nasty, & we definitely appreciated our Red Roof after that. Ignacio, the general manager was so gracious to us...really, everyone was awesome. We look forward to planning our "pre-Christmas" vacation & most definitely will go back to the Red Roof Inn. Thanks to all for making my first trip to New York a fabulous one!! xoxo Christie & Robert from Seattle

Room Tip: Our room was located on the side right on the Freeway, across from a large cemetary and honestly, it...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to complete your online response I appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the Queens Red Roof

Ignacio Fonseca

Red Roof Inn - Queens
Stuttgart, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 4 nights and from the beginning they were renewing the corridor. We asked for a different room, since our room was super close to it .They wondered and guaranteed to be finished with the work in a few hours so that we won't be bothered by any means. They were not even finished, when we left the hotel at the fifth day. At one night I complained at 2 am in the morning, because they were not stopping and used loud machines. The attached picture shows the view out of my room door at 2:20 a.m. I did not pay for the last night.

Also the staff was not very friendly. At 9 a.m. the breakfast lady came to the super tiny breakfast room and complained why the people are still having breakfast. Officially the breakfast closes at 9 a.m. and the hotel staff is really forcing this. Come on, we were on holidays. Even some other staff colleagues told the lady to calm down.

The wi-fi was not working in the first two days.

For this price ($153) I expect better quality in service (even in New York). The room itself was ok. After all I do NOT recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't go for a room close to the breakfast area. The waffle machine keeps beeping whenever a waf...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Queens Red Roof. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please accept my sincerest apologies.for do this type of work over night , but we are really sorry for this inconvenience .

Los Angeles, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Room is OK...(they boost that the rooms were recently remodeled...but it appears that means they put in a new refrig & microwave...and facelift types of things...
My trip was extended by 4 days and I'm going to move hotels because of the night manager at the front desk was a complete [--] JERK...he lives up to the other reviews about the hotel that say the same thing...No One had anything but bad remarks about him...I'm overlooking the fact that he has the personally of a wet mop..On Travelocity, the hotel states, and I quote, they "have a Free shuttle within 5 miles of the hotel"...That's a BIG LIE...Rooms should be cheaper...considering almost the entire ground is under construction...you have to walk through a big mess every time you come in...the only time I was greeted by a friendly person at the front desk was when I arrived the first night and I haven't seen that girl back...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Petaling Jaya
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Booked this inn as an overnighter before we flew home. Reason being it's nearer the airport than Manhattan and we would be able to avoid the peak hour rush traffic. Have no regrets at all. Though tired-looking (it's currently undergoing refurbishment), the room we had was clean and spacious enough for the three of us and our many pieces of luggage! Everything works, so no complaints there.

What really bowled us over was the service. The staff were really friendly and helpful; especially Miki at the frontdesk. Leaving our luggage there until it was time for departure was no problem either. Miki was most efficient in securing us a taxi to take us to the airport.

Complimentary coffee, tea and snacks are available for guests round the clock at the lobby. The location of the inn is also within walking distance to 40th St subway. Overall, quite happy with the stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ignacio F, General Manager at Red Roof Inn, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete our guest survey. I appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the Queens Red Roof.

I will make sure to share your comments with the rest of our team. Feedback from our guests is always welcome as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.We hope we see you in the future again .

Canton, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I based my decision to stay here on the reviews I read here, and I have to say I had mixed results. First of all, the rooms are tiny. If it was just me, or me and my wife, it would have been OK, but for a family of four, we could barely move around, and it was difficult to find room for our stuff without it covering the carpet. The bathroom was also tiny. The first night we arrived, the internet was down. When it came up, there were times when we couldn't get in because of too many users. Not acceptable. The lobby was undergoing renovations, which will be good for those to follow, but annoying for us. My biggest annoyance was that I booked the room largely because it claimed to have two queen sized beds. This is NOT true, they are full sized beds, which makes it tight for four adult-sized people. The breakfast area is tiny and we usually had to bring our food back to our room. We had a hard time getting hot water for showers in the morning. The rooms were dated and beat up, but I expected that.

Now for the good: The people were very friendly and helpful when needed. Also, it is in a great location for getting around. We were visiting to look at colleges in the Bronx and Queens. We wanted to be able to drive to the colleges, but take the train into the city, and we couldn't have picked a better location. The parking lot is small, but we never had a problem finding a space. The train station is about a 10 minute walk through a good neighborhood. A few reviews noted that the neighborhood was a bit sketchy, but that couldn't be further from the truth. We walked back to the hotel late at least two nights and never, for a second, felt uncomfortable. Times Square is four or five stops away.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
thank you for taking the time to post your review on trip advisor, we are very sorry about the inconvenience you have when you arrive to our hotel, the internet is been upgrade to a better service now we actually install a brand new equipment so your access will be more efficacy, about the renovations of the lobby we apologies about the mess but there is no other way to do work like this, we try to do the best way so they don’t affect to our guest.
I hope we see you again in the near future and we will do everything is possible to serve you better.

Been to Red Roof Inn? Share your experiences!