“Very helpful staff” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof Inn

Save Saved
You added Red Roof Inn to your Saves list
Red Roof Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3805 Hunters Point Avenue, Long Island City, NY 11101 (Formerly Queensboro Hotel)   |
Ranked #20 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
Petaling Jaya
“Very helpful staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Booked this inn as an overnighter before we flew home. Reason being it's nearer the airport than Manhattan and we would be able to avoid the peak hour rush traffic. Have no regrets at all. Though tired-looking (it's currently undergoing refurbishment), the room we had was clean and spacious enough for the three of us and our many pieces of luggage! Everything works, so no complaints there.

What really bowled us over was the service. The staff were really friendly and helpful; especially Miki at the frontdesk. Leaving our luggage there until it was time for departure was no problem either. Miki was most efficient in securing us a taxi to take us to the airport.

Complimentary coffee, tea and snacks are available for guests round the clock at the lobby. The location of the inn is also within walking distance to 40th St subway. Overall, quite happy with the stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ignacio F, General Manager at Red Roof Inn, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete our guest survey. I appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the Queens Red Roof.

I will make sure to share your comments with the rest of our team. Feedback from our guests is always welcome as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.We hope we see you in the future again .

326 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Canton, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I based my decision to stay here on the reviews I read here, and I have to say I had mixed results. First of all, the rooms are tiny. If it was just me, or me and my wife, it would have been OK, but for a family of four, we could barely move around, and it was difficult to find room for our stuff without it covering the carpet. The bathroom was also tiny. The first night we arrived, the internet was down. When it came up, there were times when we couldn't get in because of too many users. Not acceptable. The lobby was undergoing renovations, which will be good for those to follow, but annoying for us. My biggest annoyance was that I booked the room largely because it claimed to have two queen sized beds. This is NOT true, they are full sized beds, which makes it tight for four adult-sized people. The breakfast area is tiny and we usually had to bring our food back to our room. We had a hard time getting hot water for showers in the morning. The rooms were dated and beat up, but I expected that.

Now for the good: The people were very friendly and helpful when needed. Also, it is in a great location for getting around. We were visiting to look at colleges in the Bronx and Queens. We wanted to be able to drive to the colleges, but take the train into the city, and we couldn't have picked a better location. The parking lot is small, but we never had a problem finding a space. The train station is about a 10 minute walk through a good neighborhood. A few reviews noted that the neighborhood was a bit sketchy, but that couldn't be further from the truth. We walked back to the hotel late at least two nights and never, for a second, felt uncomfortable. Times Square is four or five stops away.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
thank you for taking the time to post your review on trip advisor, we are very sorry about the inconvenience you have when you arrive to our hotel, the internet is been upgrade to a better service now we actually install a brand new equipment so your access will be more efficacy, about the renovations of the lobby we apologies about the mess but there is no other way to do work like this, we try to do the best way so they don’t affect to our guest.
I hope we see you again in the near future and we will do everything is possible to serve you better.
toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

it was a Great hotel , Staff was very friendly to us. parking little bit tricky its NYC so you have to expect that. . Rooms are Very clean , And the Breakfast is good. I would recommended this place to family and friends

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ignacio F, General Manager at Red Roof Inn, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time and we appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the red roof hotel. Your comments are very welcome and we will share with our staff, were happy that you enjoy your stay , and we hope to see you in the future and we will make you feel “at home away from home”

Bilina, Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Our stay in hotel was fantastic! We were here in March 2013. I must say "thank you" for general manager Ignacio Fonseca - was really very willing, everytime. The hotel is good located and staff is very kind. For travelling in surroundings is good to have a shuttle. It is free in this hotel and is ready everytime you need! When we get back from Denver, CO, se we took our stay in this hotel again. Thx for everyting!

Room Tip: We had a room in second and in third floor. Both were good.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Ignacio F, General Manager at Red Roof Inn, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment about us . We appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the Queens Red Roof.

we hope we see you soon again .
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

This is a great hotel for visiting NYC on a tighter budget (without going for a hostel). Considering you're getting a private room, bathroom, breakfast, and great wifi; this is a great value.

There were definitely maintenance problems: one lamp didn't work, the toilet was clogged, and the doorknob on the bathroom was falling off. Very clean and excellent customer service however.

There's a few convenience stores and chinese resturaunts nearby. Very easy walk to and from the subway. I'm sure to come back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Ignacio F, General Manager at Red Roof Inn, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Queens Red Roof. Please accept my sincerest apologies for inconvenience with the light bulb and the door handle. and also I will like to you know we are working on this problems, so our next guest or in your future stay don’t experience this problems, I hope you notice were on the renovation process, so we can serve you better in the near future

Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

While on a road-trip across the north-eastern USA last summer, my mom and I spent 3 nights in this hotel.

I researched hotels in NYC for hours upon hours, trying to find the best bang for my buck. Eventually, I decided on the Red Roof Inn (At the time I believe it was still known as the Queensboro).

The hotel is a 10 minute walk to the nearest subway station through a residential neighbourhood, and about 12 minutes from the time you walked onto the train and walked off it in Times Square. The room was pretty tiny (typical for NYC) and the beds were pretty hard, but I paid $109/night and it was clean, felt safe, had in-room wifi, a fridge, microwave and coffee maker. Plus they served free continental breakfast every morning (only until 9am though - too early for us night-owls) and free off-street parking. The lady at the front desk was an absolute gem, completely taking us under her wing with regards to restaurant recommendations and how to navigate the subway system (which, by the way, is no where near as intimidating as one would expect!).

Being in a residential neighbourhood, we did feel fairly safe even late at night when walking back to the hotel from the subway stop.

My only complaint (aside from perhaps the beds being a little too hard for my preference) was that when we tried calling out for delivery, it was constantly busy. We had the distinct impression that it was the hotel disabling the function of calling out. Eventually we gave up trying to get through and walked to one of the two restaurants we were trying to call. When we got there, there was a guy talking on the phone so perhaps that was why we couldn't get through, but I'm not sure that it was a coincidence that both restaurants we were calling had constantly busy phone lines. We could have just called using our cell-phones I suppose, but being from Canada, that would have cost an arm and a leg. Not a big deal though, we just walked!

I would definitely recommend the Red Roof Inn to anyone willing to sacrifice a bit of time (for traveling to Manhattan), space and bed comfort. Besides - when you're in NYC the last thing you'll be doing is sleeping or hanging out in your hotel room.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to complete our guest review. I appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the Queens Red Roof.

Lagos, Nigeria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

The hotel location is perfect for either leisure and business. The staff are courteous and warm. The front desk service and subsequent customer relation rendered by the General Manager, Ignacious Fonseca was excellent.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Ignacio F, General Manager at Red Roof Inn, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you and ,we I appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the Red Roof Inn Hotel Queens ,Long island City

Been to Red Roof Inn? Share your experiences!