“Great place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof Inn

Save Saved
You added Red Roof Inn to your Saves list
Red Roof Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3805 Hunters Point Avenue, Long Island City, NY 11101 (Formerly Queensboro Hotel)   |
Ranked #20 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Let's face it, you are only reading this review because you have already seen that this is a very affordable hotel. Please do not let any of the prior reviews discourage you from checking this place out. The staff here is beyond great! I came for New Years when every room was booked and the front desk, being very busy, still took the time to go over a subway map with me and even write out directions on paper so I didn't have to carry a bulky map around. Our room was plenty big and very clean. When we first checked in the fridge wasn't cold and there was no tv remote..... But get this..... I turned the knob in the fridge and asked the front desk for a remote and BOOM! Everything was fine! Maybe others should try such crazy things before they write a bad review! Breakfast area is kinda small but so what, just go make your own waffle in the waffle maker and eat it in your room if there are no seats down there. They also have fresh juice, cereal, coffee... If you want the four seasons treatment, go pay for it at the four seasons, I'll be here with a smile on my face and a few hundred extra bucks in my pocket!

Oh yeah, the train to time square is just a few blocks away and it's only a 9 minute ride. They will even drive you there!

As for the bed bug claims... Not one sign of a bite on myself or my wife! This is NYC though and even the finest hotels have had problems with bed bugs! It is a problem that has nothing to do with cleanliness.

Thank you for reading my review. I know it's a little long but I felt compelled to speak my peace after reading negative things about this place. I would recommend it without hesitation!

• Stayed December 2012
Ignacio F, General Manager at Red Roof Inn, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
We appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the Queens Red Roof. We always enjoy hearing about the positive experiences our guests have at our hotels.

At this time I would like to extend the opportunity for you to share your experience with others,TripAdvisor is one of the top travel review Internet sites that allows travelers to read and write reviews about hotels nationwide. Your review can help others make their choice of hotel with confidence.
Ignacio Fonseca

318 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here last week and was totally disappointed. First our confirmation said we were in a upgraded room, but they gave us a standard room. When I inquired why not the upgraded room I was told they didn't have any available. The man at the front desk was very rude. I asked to speak to a manager and he said she wasn't available. I said I would wait. Finally she was availabe and said she would see what she could do. We got the proper room after she cleaned it herslef. The room was decent, at the time but now looking back I'm sick to my stomach. When I got home I noticed bits appearing on my arms BED BUGS! I read it takes a day or so for them to appear. The bed was hard as a rock worst bed ever.

Also during our stay they advertised a shuttle to the subway well... Only one of our four days the man was actually there. We had to carry our bags to and from the hotel. When asked for the cabs number they gave us a towncar service which wanted to charge $30 for a short trip.

I will never stay here again nor recommend it to anyone. Your better off at the days inn up the road!

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Queens Red Roof. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations.
I can assure you that corrective measures will be taken to ensure a similar situation does not occur in the future. At Red Roof, it is our intention to have your confidence in our abilities to prevent similar problems in the future. Please know that we value you as our guest and appreciate your business. Thank you for sharing your concerns and I hope you will give us the opportunity to better serve you at Red Roof the next time your travel plans require lodging.

Very truly yours,

Ignacio Fonseca
Red Roof Inn - Queens
Iasi, Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

The hotel is really nice, the rooms are big enough and clean. The only problem for me was the breakfast. Honestly, it was almost nothing to eat... :(
The location is really good, it took me 7 minutes to get to the train station, so I was in Manhattan in max. 20 minutes. I was alone so, at the beginning I was afraid of coming back to the hotel at night, but the neighbourhood was really safe and quiet. So, I used to come back every night around 12 or 1 o`clock and nothing bad happened :)
It`s a great choice!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Ignacio F, General Manager at Red Roof Inn, responded to this review, December 24, 2012

At this time I would like to extend the opportunity for you to share your experience with others. You can post information about your stay at our hotel on www.tripadvisor.com. TripAdvisor is one of the top travel review Internet sites that allows travelers to read and write reviews about hotels nationwide. Your review can help others make their choice of hotel with confidence.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

After reading some bad reviews for this hotel prior to our trip to NY it is fair to say we were a little anxious before we arrived as we didn't know what to expect.

However, i am pleased to say that we had a pleasant stay. The rooms are cleaned daily and bedding is always changed.
This hotel offers complimentary breakfast too which most don't in NY. This made things convenient for us as we were up early every morning ready to explore Manhattan. There was plenty of choice and always enough food provided for everyone.

Even though the hotel is only a ten minute walk from the subway station, there is a free shuttle service on offer from the hotel which can be used for those mornings when your legs need a rest! However, it is a good idea to walk so that you get to know what shops/restaurants are in the area. Pete's diner is just across the road from the station and is a great place to go for food!
We stayed on the third floor where there was no disturbances from outside which again is something you wont find in manhattan.

As a family we would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a good deal on accommodation for their trip to NY!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
San Pedro, Belize, Belize
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Overall this was a great value option. Our room was clean and well fitted. The service staff were extremely helpful and the shuttle to the subway makes getting around to the sights super easy! The hotel was undergoing some renovations, so it was a blend of old and new finishings, but overall this was a great hotel and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a value hotel.

Room Tip: If you want to sleep in, get a room well away from the lobby as the complimentary breakfast crowd wi...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

stayed one night here in room 101. My room was really bad, it was tiny, room smelled of mold, the shower faucet was loose and actually came off in my hand when I tried to shut off the water. Also this room was right near the side door exit which people used all the time. My friend stayed in room 125 which was much bigger and looked ok. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: dont choose a room with a low number like 100, 101, 200, 201, etc... try to get 125, 225, etc.... a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed in the hotel for 9 nights on B&B basis.I must say that the breakfast is very basic + the paper plates and plastic cutlery as well as the tiny breakfast area...but at least they make an effort to include something in the very reasonable price.
We found all the staff very helpful and nice.
It is about 10 minutes walk to the metro station in a nice,quiet and safe area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Red Roof Inn? Share your experiences!