“Good but a little bit neglected” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof Inn

You added Red Roof Inn to your Saves list
Red Roof Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3805 Hunters Point Avenue, Long Island City, NY 11101 (Formerly Queensboro Hotel)   |
Ranked #19 of 26 Hotels in Long Island City
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Good but a little bit neglected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

The staff was very kind. The room was very clean. The location was nice for me because I wanted to go just to the Flushing Meadows Park (was only 12min to get there) but if you're planning to visit Manhattan you better choose another location. The breakfast was ok. The typical continental breakfast: muffins, waffles, bread and yogurt. The thing I didn't like, was that the hotel is a little bit neglected and looks old. Even though we had a pleasant stay. Excellent quality-price

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Turkish first
South Williamsport, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I arrived in NY tired and just wanted to check in to relax for awhile. I arrived early and was not allowed to check in even one minute before 3:00PM. While I waited, I used the hotel lobby restroom which looked like the restroom of a gas station. There were holes in the walls (some with tissue in them to prevent others from looking in). When I finally checked in, the room was on the first floor. The first thing that I saw was how small and cramped the room was as well as a HUGE dent in the center of the bed. It was so dirty that my friend and I did not want to sit down. Because we didn't want to waste our vacation time looking for another hotel, we asked for another room. The receptionist allowed me to see another room on the third floor which looked 75% better than the other. When I went down to tell the receptionist that I would take the room, she and one of the cleaning staff were "attempting" to whisper about me and my complaint. After we moved and settled in I noticed nasty mold and mildew on the windows, air unit, ceiling of the bathroom and badly patched holes in the wall. The free parking also was limited to very few cars which meant that we had to park on the street. I will never stay here again.

Room Tip: If you do stay here, do not stay on the first floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
West Springfield, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I first stayed here back in May 2012 with my daughter. The Queensboro Hotel claims to be a 2 star hotel but I wouldn’t be so generous, maybe a 1 – 1½ star. I'm a light sleeper and we had a room 2 doors down from the lobby on the first floor. The voices of the folks who came in late at night and congregated in the lobby carried right into our room. It's not that they were particularly loud but the lobby is tiled, the sound echoed and the guest rooms are only about 15 feet away. After the lobby cleared of the late night crowd around 2am it was replaced with the early morning breakfast crowd at 7am. Again, not that they were particularly loud, but I awoke with a start to the beeping sound of the waffle maker…I thought it was a fire alarm! Needless to say, it’s hard to get back to sleep after that.

However, the room we stayed in was clean but cramped. The bathroom was clean but in desperate need of updating and modernization. Although they have a parking lot that fits about 18 – 24 cars it is rather small and my minivan seemed oversized parked there. That is if you can find a spot in the lot, if not there is on street parking. Not as easy to come by, but after circling a few times we found a spot. The neighborhood appeared to be safe and secure and my daughter and I felt safe walking the 4 blocks to the 7 train into the city. The breakfast was better than I expected. The usual beverages, coffee, tea, juice, along with bagels, a selection of cereals, fresh fruit, yogurt, oatmeal, and of course, fresh waffles. The hotel doesn’t offer any other meals but there are plenty of places to grab a bite to eat within a few blocks for dinner.

The employees were very helpful and educated us about the metro system. Very helpful for a first time rider.

On our most recent visit in July, I was wiser and asked for a room farther away from the lobby. They were accommodating and put my husband and I in a room at the end of the hall on the second floor. His only complaint was the bed was more firm than he would have liked. But again, clean room but cramped.

The room rate fluctuates greatly depending on demand, we were able to get a reasonable price but you may be able to negotiate a better rate by calling the front desk.

I would stay there again and recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Don't stay near the lobby.
Athens, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

The hotel itself was nice. Clean beds and room. The service wasn't the best. I felt as if it was an inconvience to ask questions. Most of the time when you came to the desk the staff member was in the lobby watching TV or had their headphones in and on their phone. I also had a billing question and the woman at the front desk couldn't answer it. She called her supervisor, on her personal phone, in front of me and was not professional to say the least. It was a good stay, not great. I felt the service was not up to par. Working in the hospitality industry, I felt it was well below standard.

Winchester, Virginia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

My husband and I have stayed here many times over the past two years. It has been clean though a bit dated. The amenities have just changed, downgraded, as they are preparing to become a Red Roof Inn. The beds are clean and towels are fresh. The rooms are a bit cramped but compared to NYC, spacious. Ironing boards and irons as well as a luggage rack and hanging closet are in each room. Also, coffeemaker/refrigerator/microwave oven in each room. Bedside table on each side. New this past week: iPod compatible alarm clock. FREE parking. Breakfasts are provided though they have downgraded also--used to include bacon and pancakes in addition to muffins, coffee, toast, juices and yogurt. Still, a great deal just outside the city. A/C is loud if run on high. On previous trips we have called ahead to alert of a late, ie. 1-3 am, arrival time and have had NO difficulties. Staff have bent over backward. Love the woman who cleans up at breakfast area.

Salem, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Stayed in May 2011. I had booked this hotel for my group (12 people) and had noted that when booking (there are extra fees for more people in the room, as expected) we were greeted by what I assume was the manager saying not all of us could stay there. Even though I had paid already. 9pm scrambling to find random friends/relatives in the city with whom some of us could stay, after a full day of traveling. Terrible experience, terrible customer service. Never again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Cairo, Egypt
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

this hotel cannot be rated as a 2 star hotel at all ,it is terrible by all means
the check in wasnot easy at all we arrived at 11 o'clock after 18 hours flight & we asked them to check in & almost we begged them but they refused saying that we have to wait till 3 pm
really the staff were not helpful at all they treated us in a very rude & aggressive manner but except for the lady preparing the poor breakfast was very helpul & professional.
the rooms are very small & dirty with an awful smell,even without shampoo only soap is available when we checked with them a very rude impolite woman claiming that she is a house keeping manager said that they run out of stock & may be tomorrow or after tomorrow they will get the stock & of course for 3 days until we checked out nothing was recieved,(she said you can use soap for your hair no need for a shampoo & i told her i have never used soap for my hair ,she said ok go & buy one or else keep your hair dirty)of course she isnot professional at all, when we asked for the manager or officer in charge they said no one is available he is on a vacation & you can talk to him when he comes back after 2 days ( the day we will check out) of course if a manager appoints such a type of staff what you will ever expect him to be???????
& our booking unfortunalely was non refundable & we had an arguments with booking.com but they couldnot reach any solution with the hotel as no one is incharge available
the hotel's not close to the subway station you have to walk for at least 15 minutes which might be unsafe at night & their free shuttle bus works till only 3 pm & also their house keeping staff works till 3 pm ,no staff after 3 except one receptionist
this place shouldnot be recommended by expedia or booking it isnot a hotel it is disaster

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Red Roof Inn? Share your experiences!