“Girl Trip to NYC” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof Inn

Save Saved
You added Red Roof Inn to your Saves list
Red Roof Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3805 Hunters Point Avenue, Long Island City, NY 11101 (Formerly Queensboro Hotel)   |
Atlanta, Georgia
“Girl Trip to NYC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I can't possibly say enough good things about this hotel. The price was way cheaper than any of the others I had looked at. Clean updated room, with a nice shower and good water pressure, great free breakfast, friendly staff and quiet safe neighboorhood. The only slight draw back is the distance from the hotel to the subway, but I felt totally comfortable walking at night with 2 other females. When going to NY hopefully you are not in the room much any way. It is about a 20 minute ride to Times Sq. I would stay here again for return trips to NY just to save money and know when I got back to the hotel at night I would get a good nights sleep and have a good free breakfast in the am. We were on the 3rd floor near the elevator and never experienced any noice at night. On the last day the staff arranged for our ride back to the airport and one of the men at the desk even insisted we take bannanas with us b/c we left before breakfast started at 6:00 am.

Room Tip: I would recommend any room.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

338 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

The staff and the stay overhere was extra nice. I recommend this hotel to anyone who decides to vacation or do business here in New York. The staff will accommodate your needs and will take care of you in your stay. Breakfast is also included and wifi as well in your room. The rooms were really clean and comfortable, as well as, the subway was within reach. Ten thumbs up

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for 5 nights with a friend whilst visiting manhatten. The hotel was clean and staff were very friendly and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble for them. Very smooth check in and check out. Breakfast was average - could have done with some more fruit choices but overall ok - nothing fantastic though.

In terms of location, the hotel is a short walk from the 7 metro line which takes you directly into grand central station and times square. We had a a few nights out in the city and got a cab back from the metro station after midnight and it only came to 6 dollars. Would definitely recommend buying a metro card for 7 days (which is 29 dollars) to allow unlimited use of the metro.

The hotel is next to a highway but the noise didn't bother us at all.

The room we had (2 double beds) was very large and spacious - plenty of room for the 2 of us and was very clean. No sign of any bed bugs!! The bathroom however was quite dated and could definitely do with an upgrade. The extractor fan was noisy and not very effective at all which meant that the bathroom and bedroom of room 220 that we stayed in had a 'damp / humid' feel to it which was a real shame and unhealthy.

All in all however a great stay and would recommend. So much cheaper than staying on manhatten and we liked experiencing a new york borough other than manhatten and see how and where the locals live. Pete's diner next to the metro station (40th Lowery street) does excellent brunches if you sleep in and miss the hotel breakfasts (which finish at 9am on week days and 10am on weeks - so need to go on for longer as is the case in other hotels where breakfast easily goes on until 11am every day of the week). But Pete's was great - lovely retro old diner serving fantastic traditional american pancakes, french toast, free coffee top ups and massive muffins!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for a week with my boyfriend. The room was nice, quite small, but big enough, and the bathroom seemed to be recently renovated. The room was clean, and at least so far we have not found any signs of bedbugs. :) Even though there is a highway next to the hotel, the noise didn't bother us.

Also, the breakfast was included. It wasn't awesome, but all right with hot waffles, bagels, toast, yoghurt, juices etc.

Walking to the metro station took us 10 minutes. It is not exactly next to the hotel, but if you are used to walking, I would rather stay here than in Manhattan and use the saved money for a Broadway musical for example. :D The neighborhood felt safe, however we did not return later than at midnight.

Service was usually good, with one exception (and this is also what makes me drop one star). We had booked and paid the hotel through a well-known (in Europe) online service. When we arrived, the girl at the reception did not have our booking, and she told us that she had never heard of this website before. Even though we had the receipt, she made us call the service number of the online booking site, who then faxed the reservation to the hotel. Since we had an European operator, and were calling a number in UK from US, it costed us a fortune. So, you may want to check if the hotel has received your online reservation.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

I would normally stay on Manhattan when visiting NY but for some reason this last trip all the Hotels were either booked or wanted $300+ per night.

Having found the Queensboro via a late rooms deal website I had not anticipated too much other than value for money.

Although the hotel was undergoing some cosmetic work (redecorating the lobby) I have to say it was surprisingly clean and pleasant. I always inspect the room for signs of bedbugs and general cleanliness and have to say that this was one of the cleanest hotels I have seen in the US. Much cleaner in remote areas that many of the big name chains.

I would happily stay here again and will be recommending it to friends as the Metro from queens blvd is very close and there is an amazing Ecuadorian restaurant on the corner of the next block.

They even let me check in early at about 10am as I was just off a flight from Argentina.

Overall this hotel exceeded my expectations and I am usually a very tough reviewer.

I sincerely wish them the best with their business and hope that they maintain the standards, I will be back to check up on it.

David

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Warrenton, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

I had stayed at the Queenboro in the past and was pleasantly surprized to see many improvements. I was greeted with a smile and "Thank You For Staying With Us". I found the room to be clean and very comfortable. When you are traveling a long distance, that means a great deal. No complaints.
Will come here again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

The service was refreshing and friendly, the room and grounds were maintained very well, and the location was just close enough to the train to be both convenient, and non-intrusive, especially for the area. I also felt safe while on and around the hotel property, and as a frequent traveler, that is definitely a plus. I'd stay here any time I came into Manhattan- Central Park is only a stone's throw away!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Been to Red Roof Inn? Share your experiences!