“The best view of the city is from just across the river” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #4 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
Tampa, Florida
“The best view of the city is from just across the river”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

We started by looking for rooms with a view in Manhattan. What we found was at least twice the price and even more than Z Hotel. We weighed the thought of not being able to walk downstairs and be right in the middle of things and decided arranging our schedule so we could take the hourly hotel shuttle to midtown was worth the effort for a much larger room with an unparalleled view.

Staff:
The desk staff were very friendly, check in and out was a breeze. They were always very attentive when we asked for an iron to be delivered or help with the TV. We arrived earlier than our room was ready and flew out hours after check out, both times they checked our bags for us and our expensive electronics and cameras were left undisturbed.

Hotel:
The building has a kind of a strange quirk. This in no way was a big deal, just struck me as odd. All the rooms face the city to take advantage of the view. So the hallway for each floor is on the backside but they are connected via this weird, half indoor/outdoor hall. It struck me as strange because it made me think the building was older and originally had outdoor halls but I read it’s a relatively new building. They have this kind of vinyl outdoor covering closing the hallway in but it doesn't keep out the January temperatures. It does keep out the rain and wind so it wasn't a big deal.

The biggest drawback to the hotel is the fact the immediate surrounding area has little to offer. That is unless you’re are a big enthusiast of warehouse architecture. There is a little area a very short cab ride away with several good restaurants but there’s nothing immediately adjacent to the property.
The lobby is on the main floor with little more than a desk and couple of chair where you can sit and wait for the shuttle or a cab.

The bar/restaurant (slash rest of the lobby?) is down the main staircase. There are plenty of comfortable seating options and several TV’s with various stations showing sports or news. We got there just as the breakfast buffet was closing down so we ordered breakfast from the menu. It was decent but not remarkable, I hope to think this was due to the time in which we came. There is a small business center (two workstations) that we used to print out our boarding passes for our trip home. The bartender was very friendly and although you do pay NYC prices for your cocktail, the drinks were very favorably poured.

The entire building has Wi-Fi. I had to re-enter the password every little time it went to sleep mode but the connection and speed was always good.

Room:
The room was very nice sized for a NYC hotel. It features floor to ceiling windows with an amazing view of the Queensboro Bridge, Citibank Building, Chrysler Building, Empire State Building, and the UN (listed north to south). You can’t see the Freedom Tower because of other high rises to the south on the near side of the river.
Our room had a king sized bed, couch, little desk, and a couple of nightstands. The bed was simply amazing! I thought our bed at home was comfortable; I honestly have to write them back to ask what kind of mattress that was because I want one. I didn't care if the city never sleeps, I wanted 10 more minutes in that bed.

The shower is huge and the big glass door sealed the room to make a nice steam room, good for me, and good for steaming a lot of my clothes to not have to iron every single item that came out of my suitcase. The heated floors made the January mornings very comfortable under foot.

The only thing I wished the room had was better closet space. There were two areas to hang our clothes but one was a shortened height by the safe, and the other was a shortened width by the minibar/fridge. Even still, we stayed for 4 days in January with dresses, a couple/few big coats and other layers to hang and made the limited space work for both of us.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

533 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Turkish first
Waringstown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Unique boutique hotel very handy for Manhattan but without the constant noise! Friendly , relaxed, welcoming and modern! Ultimately totally friendly. We were on the 10 th floor with a tremendous manhattan view! Shuttk bus takes you to Lexington ave right outside Bloomingdales ! Rooms are lovely and modern and clean with very comfortable beds and white linen ! Not far also from Roosevelt Island where you are able to get a cable car across to manhattan ! The hotel is also close to queens borough subway ! Loved this hotel! Totally recommend. !

Room Tip: High floor offers marvellous manhattan view!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

I was a little nervous about staying away from the centre of New York but I shouldn't have been. This is a lovely modern hotel with helpful and friendly staff. The shuttle bus was great for getting in to Manhattan. We didn't use it for coming back but that was because it was more convenient for us not to. It's easy to get to this hotel by public transport and even though it doesn't feel like the greatest area we had in issue going back late at night.
I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

I have stayed here couple of times and it is always a great stay. Nice rooms, great view, cool Lounge, good food and convenient shuttle bus service to Manhattan. Look forward to my next stay - hopefully very soon. Thanks to Lisa and the team for a great hospitality

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

I really wasn't waiting anything really good for that price i have booked this hotel for. As i thought it wasn't really good location, and price is low but =anyway i did it. And i was really surpresed when i got to the room... i have panorama of New York as you see it in movies right infront of me! Big window was reallygreat for that and i really couldn't sleep!
By taxi it takes really not long to get to the center. and administrators are always kind and helpful.
I have loved it!

Room Tip: Take the highest floors and city view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

My friend and I stayed at this hotel at the start of December and were very pleasantly surprised by this top class hotel. Having never stayed outside of Manhattan on all my trips to New York, I was reluctant at first but am very, very glad we chose this hotel. There is a free shuttle service that runs to and from Manhattan regularly, with a drop of point right across the road from Bloomingdales which is an excellent location, as 5th Avenue, Central Park, and Times Square are all within a decent walking distance, plus there is a subway station near by for any trips further afield. On one of our returns to the hotel, the shuttle service was full, but we were told by the driver to get a taxi, and we were reimbursed for this at the hotel which I think is a bonus. All the staff members were extremely friendly and helpful, and made us feel very welcome and at home straight away. When we arrived, we were immediately greeted with a smile and helped with our luggage, right up to our room. The room was a decent size, very clean and very comfortable and cosy. The hallways were quite cold and basic, but the heater in the room ensured that we were most comfortable and cosy, and I slept fantastically in the comfortable bed. The location of the hotel ensures a magnificent view of the Manhattan skyline. We were on the third floor, and could enjoy this view, but I feel it would be better from a higher floor. Unfortunately, we never got to try the rooftop bar, but would be assured that the view from there would be spectacular.
Overall, I highly recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to New York. It is much cheaper than most overpriced hotels in Manhattan, and the service is A+ and well worth every penny.

Room Tip: Higher floors will provide an even better view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for five days this month. All rooms have the most fantastic view of the Manhatten skyline. Fabulous. We often kept the curtains open and just admired. The hotel staff were very helpful in showing directions to all the tourist attractions. The food was good and reasonably priced. The room was sufficient for our stay and was "made " each day. The toiletries were first class. I would definitely recommend this hotel and definitely stay here again. The shuttle bus was a huge bonus and the drivers friendly, always turning up on time! In the area there were a few diners, The Court Diner was great for a breakfast. A small diner and bar literally just around the corner was worth a visit too, their pulled pork sandwich was amazing. All in all we had a fantastic experience and cannot wait to return.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Z New York Hotel? Share your experiences!