“A good hotel, friendly staff and great views!” 4 of 5 stars

Z New York Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11-01 43rd Avenue, Long Island City, NY 11101   |
Ranked #5 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“A good hotel, friendly staff and great views!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Z New York Hotel is quite pricey but from what I read that goes with the NYC territory. Staff were very friendly and helpful from the off. We travelled a long way from Scotland and arrived a half hour before check in after a ten hour journey, I'd hoped they would book us in there and then but no we had to wait until official check in time so I was slightly disappointed with this but could live with it. Drinks in the bar seemed expensive compared to what we purchased elsewhere, it cost $22 for a small beer and a vodka/coke. All public areas are very nice, well kept and clean.

Up in the room I discovered I needed an iron, one quick call to reception and it was sent up instantly. The room wasn't huge but as it's only to wash/sleep in it was ideal for our needs and there were robes, slippers, toiletries etc - all the usual suspects. The views of the Manhattan skyline from the window are what it's all about and they did not disappoint, impressive by day and fantastic at night!

We used the complimentary shuttle every day, it's a great service and drops you off quite near to Fifth Avenue and the entrance to Central Park is only a 5 minute walk away so it was very handy for a couple of New York first timers.

One evening after a very long day of walking around Manhattan we decided to stay in Long Island City that evening for dinner. We asked at reception for a recommendation of a good local restaurant but they couldn't tell us. Maybe it's the case that most guests head to NYC but I'm sure some guests want to see what is on offer locally? If staff were better informed then local businesses would be better served which would be in everyone's best interests! We booked a taxi to drop us off on Vernon Boulevard and found a fabulous little Cuban restaurant amongst plenty others, there seems to be a good few choices on that road, it's just a shame the staff are completely unaware of what is on their doorstep!

All in all I would recommend this hotel and I would consider staying there again, it has a nice relaxed feel to it and I'm really happy we experienced a little bit of LIC, away from the madness of NYC! Gantry State Plaza Park is a 10 minute walk away from the hotel offering amazing views over the water and lots of photo opportunities you just wouldn't get staying in a central Manhattan hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view of the skyline opposite.

551 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Turkish first
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

This is my 4th visit to the city that doesn't sleep. Thankfully since I was here for business, I was able to get some sleep at the Z hotel no problem. This is the best hotel I have stayed in so far in the area. It was cheaper than my fist offering downtown but was of a superior quality.

Apart from lacking a fitness center or a pool (not many hotel properties have these in the city anyway) I cannot find fault with the place. The staff were great and nothing was too much trouble. I arrived early and when I first arrived they would have allowed me to check in early but I wanted to hold out for a high floor. They secured me a room on the 11th when I returned from my day off in the City. Great. The 11th floor is their highest.

Since I was visiting places all over New York City, from Brooklyn to Harlem, the hotel was really a great location for me. Even for pleasure purposes I would have been completely satisfied. All you need do is hop on their free buss and it takes you within each reach of getting anywhere in the city. I used it a few times but it would be perfect if the buss could drop you at Court Sq Subway Station.

I found it easy to get to via public transport from JFK Airport. Get the AirTrain from any terminal to Jamaica center (JC) (cost $5) and then get the Metro E train from JC to Court Square. The hotel is then an easy 15 minute walk. Otherwise a taxi is about $40 (it cost 60-80 dollars from JFK into New York City). Within 15 minute walk there were Chinese take-aways and a few restaurants and Domino's Pizza and a Subway. I walked back from the Subway a view times at night and felt perfectly safe. I even stumbled into the filming of Law and Order in the area.

The room was really great. A good size, decent shower, decent bed, flip-flops and a robe provided, mini bar and snacks for purchase, well decorated, functional, free Wi-Fi clean and has anyone mentioned those fantastic views yet? There wasn't an Iron but I am sure I could I asked to borrow one if I needed. I liked having the sink and a wash area within the room. It's not on top of you as some people have suggested and that area of the room has a tiled floor which you can heat!

Why anyone would want to pay more for a dive of a place just to be in midtown is beyond me. Thanks for the awesome stay - that is all I can say.

Room Tip: 11th floors. View from the 11th is awesome
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Hanau, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

The hotel is awesome. We (my husband, our son (9 years old) and I) stayed there for three nights last week. We loved the view on the skyline. The design and the furnishing is very nice. It was great to leave "the city" at the evening and stay at a more quiet place and still be just around the corner. Sometimes we took the shuttle but with the metro it is still very close. Even to the airport it is possible to take the metro as it is a quite convenient connection. What we liked very much, too were the complimentary international calls. The only two things which bothered me were the doorknob to the bathroom which was too tiny. I could only hold on with my finger tips and hurt them on the edges when pulling the door open. The second thing was that I had the feeling that the noise from the street was relatively loud. I mean compared to Manhattan it was a rather quiet neighborhood (another big plus of the hotel) but I would have expected to hear less noise from the street.

• Stayed October 2013
Northampton, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I really enjoyed staying at the Z Hotel. The view from our room was breath taking! The rooms were large for a New York Hotel and the heated floor was a surprise bonus. The comfortable mattress and pillow provided us with a very sound nights' sleep.
The food was tasty and reasonable. My only complaint was the loud music while we ate lunch....but I'm sure if I would have requested, they would have adjusted the volume. The restaurant staff were attentive and extremely friendly.
We really enjoyed our stay. My only reason for not returning any time soon is the cost. I feel the location does not warrant such high prices.

Room Tip: Request a room on the higher floors the the best views.
Ithaca, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Our family stayed at the Z Hotel while attending a wedding in Long Island City. The hotel is very clean and modern looking. It was nice that there was a restaurant and bar downstairs from the lobby. The staff was friendly and helpful. We requested an iron and it was brought to our room immediately.

Our room with a queen size bed was on the smaller size (we pretty much expected this being a hotel near NYC). The room was very clean and comfortable. The highlight was definitely the breath-taking view from our large window - a large view of the NYC skyline, beautiful in the day and spectacular at night!

There is not much around the hotel, but there are restaurants a few minutes drive from the hotel and it is easy to drive into the various parts of the city. The hotel also offers a shuttle bus to take and pick up guests from certain parts of the city. Hopefully more will develop around the Z Hotel to take advantage of the close proximity to city attractions and the beautiful skyline view! We would stay at the Z Hotel again.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Outrageous mid-week prices at the Thompson LES and other hotels we usually use in Manhattan sent us to Long Island City and Z Hotel. The hotel offered a lot of the things we like -- boutique hotel styling, non-chain feel, and a location far away from the fanny-packers. Just across the river in Queens, Z Hotel delivered what we wanted for about $200 less than Manhattan prices

All that said, Z Hotel is not for everyone. It is in an up-and-coming part of Queens (this isn't Brooklyn -- yet) surrounded by a lot of warehouses, cab companies, television studios, and even a few strip clubs. But not a lot else. It's a little more New York-y than some people like in their New York visit.

Z Hotel is served by a lot a different subway lines with excellent access to mid-town and downtown -- that's the way we normally travel around the city -- but the 10-minute walk through less-than-glamorous settings did get tiring.

If you're not a city person, have more traditional tastes or are an infrequent New York visitor looking for the classic tourist experience, this probably isn't the place for you. We would definitely go back when things are too expensive in Manhattan.

PROS
New hotel with modern "designy" rooms on par with other mid-range boutique hotels
Excellent value vs. similar Manhattan hotels
Great subway connections to everywhere
Free shuttle to/from midtown (runs once an hour)
A quiet spot away from the fray of the city, but still close
Great Manhattan view from floor-to-ceiling windows in the room

CONS
The walk to and from the subway gets old (not sure I would want to do it late at night)
Not much else near the hotel
No iron in the room (but they brought one when we asked)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I have never stayed here, but I've gotten drinks a couple of times here. Hotel Z is an oasis in middle of LIC, and they have a really cool rooftop lounge. I suppose it only makes sens to go there when the weather is nice, but it has a most spectacular view of the city, and drinks are reasonably priced. It can also be a bit loud, as they blast the music, but if you are looking not to cross a bridge to the city, but still get a great view, this is the place.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Z New York Hotel? Share your experiences!