“Awesome !!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Long Island City
Madeira Beach, Florida
“Awesome !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights for Valentines Day. We totally enjoyed every aspect of our stay!! We got a room on the 11th floor ( top floor) and we were excited about that. The views from our room were amazing !! It was very cold during our stay so the rooftop bar wasn't open. The rooms are smaller BUT every inch of space is used, we have stayed in larger rooms that weren't as efficient and functional as this one! The shuttle service is one of the best features in my opinion!! The driver was extremely personable, he went out of his way to help us, they were always timely. Customer service is very important to everyone who worked there and it showed !! When we asked for things they were done right away AND the hotel was full when we were there !! We really didn't see or understand the 'bad' neighborhood thing, we had no probelms had dinner and drinks in the neighborhood, it was great!! We asked others staying there at the time and they had no probelms either!! We were very comfortable during our stay! We will definitely be returning !!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

After finding every one of our usual Manhattan hotels either fully booked or over $500/night I came upon this hotel.The Z was exactly as advertised...reasonable price and it is all about the views. Basic clientele are Euro young couples and singles. We were on the 11th floor and because it was midweek that was great because the roof top lounge was not open. Had that been open I would not want the 11th floor as that lounge just has to be loud and attract lots of people. Staff were pleasant, rooms small but functional, breakfast buffet okay but too bad it is in a very very dark lower level. Shuttle totally reliable. All in all I would definitely recommend the Z. The one down factor is if you do not want to walk the city from morning to later in the night with no break or to change for dinner etc. , taking the shuttle back to the hotel and then heading out again would be a pain. As mentioned the industrial area is not at all conducive to walking out to find any other place to eat. Very easy transfer to LaGuardia and they offered to get a town car for $25...not sure what taxi cost is. Our Carmel transfer was about the same cost as their option. I would stay again mid week only not weekend but if you are young and like the "hip scene" this may appeal to you on the weekends in summer. The Z is innovative and a great concept. We also like Brooklyn but this is closer to midtown.

Room Tip: ask for upper floors if not weekend.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I was planning my trip to NYC in June and July 2013 and was trying to book it through booking.com. But I accidentally hit the wrong month/date and wrong button to book Z New York in August instead. I realize it right after and called booking.com as well as the Z hotel right away.
I am really satisfy with the service of Rich at the front desk when I called, and the reservation department of Z hotel to cooperate with Booking.com to help cancel my reservation without penalty.
I already booked my reservation at Z New York for my July trip and I can't wait to check out this hotel and will update my review of this hotel.

I am also really satisfy with the service of booking.com. They answer my call right away and make the action right away with a follow up email.
I always use booking.com to book my accommodation and will continue to do so as I know I can trust their service.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We stayed at the Z Hotel for a romantic getaway on June 1, 2013 (Room 808) and were pretty disappointed. The rooftop would theoretically lend itself to some nice dimmed-down lounge atmosphere, but instead they had a DJ who played party music at a volume that made it impossible to have a decent conversation, and lots of young party folks were hanging out there shouting and making sure a relaxed romantic hangout on the rooftop was not an option.

The rooms have a great view as advertised, but they are tiny and have a very cold and dark interior design which we found unappealing. Outright terrible, however, was the air-conditioning, which made a heck of a noise throughout the night that made it absolutely impossible to find decent sleep :(

All in all a real let-down, which decent breakfast buffet and the nice staff couldn't compensate for. We will not come again, and we definitely don't recommend couples on the search for a romantic night to go there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I have been in NYC many times before, stayed at hotels in Times Square, Jersey City and across central park, this past weekend (May 2013) I stayed at the Z for two nights and now have become their biggest fan; the front desk were very welcoming, housekeeping and staff were excellent, I really felt welcomed and the entire staff valued my business. The rooms were very clean, the bed was comfortable and the water pressure was very good especially after a long day in the city, and the view to the city both our room and the rooftop was actually better than being in Manhattan. I kept the shades wide open during my entire stay.
The location, the shuttle service, and its view of the city and ease of parking and its top hotel service have easily moved the Z up on my ratings chart. Next time I visit NYC, I will definitely be Z’ing at the Z Hotel. If your travels take you to NYC I highly recommend the Z Hotel, they will not disappoint.

Room Tip: every room has a great view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Booked this for a night as a last-minute decision. Solid, comfortable room. The bar downstairs is nice, with a friendly-enough staff. I didn't realize it was set up like a motel, though, and this was rather disconcerting. It looked like a trendy boutique hotel, but is really more of a motel with a face lift. Good value, though, and the room definitely was comfortable. Just good to know what you're getting.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Palo Alto, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Visited NYC for the first time and had initially booked a hotel near Times Square, but then saw Z mentioned in the April edition of Money. Decided to give Z a try and saved quite a bit and the view from our room was priceless, we slept with the shades open all night. The hourly shuttle to 59th and Lexington was perfect for subway access. Just make sure you are ready to go for the ride and pick up because if the shuttle is full you'll have to wait for the driver to return, take a cab (with $10 reimbursement) or catch the next shuttle. The restaurant was closed during our five day stay so cannot comment on the food/service. There is a good Indian restaurant within two blocks walking distance and a hole in the wall place to grab a quick breakfast bagel/coffee also nearby. The room was small but very comfortable for two and worked fine, housekeeping and staff was excellent! I would highly recommend this hotel if you want a great view at a bargain price, yet don't mind staying at a hotel that is away from the hustle and bustle of Manhattan, nestled in an industrial area. When I come back to NYC I'll definitely be staying at the Z Hotel again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Z New York Hotel? Share your experiences!