“Fantastic views.... but....” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Long Island City
Sydney, Australia
“Fantastic views.... but....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

This is my second review ever but I felt compelled to write it because I have read many from other travellers. This has helped me enormously in making the right choice when travelling, and if my review helps others, it will be my way of saying thanks to others who bother to write reviews and my way of giving something back.
The view from the Z Hotel was amazing and it totally exceeded my expectations. The decor is very funky but some of the facilities are basic. There is no room service for example, and there is no tea or coffee in the rooms, but perhaps this is my ignorance as it's my first trip to the US-maybe no hotel in the US provides tea and coffee...Having said that, it was easy enough to go to the diner downstairs from 7am onwards and pick up a cup of coffee for free and take it back to my room.
When I first arrived I was given a room on the 4th floor but I found that it looked straight out onto concrete warehouse rooves and being very close to the bridge, the level of traffic noise was quite high. I asked to move to a room on a higher floor and they were very accommodating....the windows open slightly to allow air into the room but... with the noise from the bridge (day and night) it was better to leave them shut.
Other minuses were:
the breakfast-$10+with tip-but no fruit and the hot breakfast was basic. From the open kitchen end of the diner there was an unbearable smell of fried bacon (tough if you don't eat meat!)
The address they provide on their website makes it very confusing for the taxi drivers and costly for us travellers. I suggested to the receptionist that the hotel management change it on the website to one which is easier to understand.
Another minus is their cooling system unit. They appear to be individual ones set up in each room and they are very noisy.
Other than the view, which, along with the special price I got, was the main reason I chose the hotel, there is the reliable and fun shuttle "school" bus into Manhattan which, even in traffic only takes about 15 minutes. The staff is very friendly and accommodating as were the people manning th reception...but they should have 2 people looking after their clients as if he/she is answering a call they can leave you standing there for quite a long time....doesn't bear well for good customer service.
Overall, I would recommend it and I would stay there again but I would memorise the corner street it's situated on so I could give this information to taxi drivers.

Room Tip: choose a room on a higher floor and to the southern side of the building away from the bridge
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Rochester, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I chose this hotel because of the promised view and I was not disappointed. The view is spectacular and a wonderful look at Manhattan from the other side. Don't be put off by the location of the hotel, the view more than makes up for it. The location is fine and feels very safe. We were there to visit St. John's University and family in Greenpoint and Park Slope so we did not utilize the shuttle but it was right there ready to go and I will use it next time I stay there. There was on street parking for free and I did not have trouble finding a spot. With a car it was convenient to get to many areas in Brooklyn/Queens. The hotel is trendy and fun. The rooms are decent size, fun, and very clean. The bed was comfortable, sheets soft, and pillows really great. We did not eat breakfast but I was able to get a cup of coffee to go at the bar. We had some light fare at the restaurant and it was decent food. The rooftop bar was not open for the season yet but I went up to take a look and I look forward to a return visit in the warmer weather. The view is well worth it. Staff were friendly and helpful. There was not an exercise room but I did not need one after all the walking I did in the two days there. I will be frequenting NYC as my daughter will be going to St. John's University in the fall and this hotel will be my first choice.

Room Tip: I believe all rooms have the view but the higher the better. I was on the 6th floor and other peopl...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

I actually want to give this hotel more stars because I like so many things about it, but there are a few big drawbacks. Let's dispense with those first:
Temperature/Noise
For some reason, our room's temperature could not be adjusted. It was "64," but felt more like a sauna. Fortunately, the window opened, enabling us to deal with it. However, on the second morning here, seemingly every heavy truck, helipcopter and noisy pedestrian rolled by, waking us up at about 6 a.m. So we shut the window (which is a rather great noise barrier -- a plus! -- only to have trouble sleeping because of the heat. Bottom line, I wish we had complained about the temp on the first day. Perhaps it was just our room.
Location
Honestly, not great. I guess it depends upon what you want to do and your concept of "close." It's a good 15-20-minute walk to any subway stop -- not ideal when you have luggage. There's an hourly shuttle bus from the hotel into Manhattan, which is great if that's what you want to do. But if so, why are you staying in Queens? We wanted to explore LIC and Astoria, and those were both a distance from the hotel. Most of LIC's interesting nightlife and restuarants were again about a 15-20-minute walk. Not horrible, but not exactly right outside your door. Astoria is about a $10 cab ride away (cabs are not plentiful, BTW). I think over the next few years, more and more things will open closer to the hotel. It may one day be a great location. Just not yet.
Now to All the Good Stuff
AMAZING views. Particularly from the roof. Why stay in Manhattan when you can gaze at it from afar? Hotel has a bar up there, which wasn't open yet. I'd love to come back and check it out some time. They also could consider heat lamps and keeping the bar open more of the year. Would be well worth it. Room sizes are more than fine, even large for NYC. Decor is hip/modern/sleek. Heated floors (did not use, obviously), cute beds (although we couldn't figure out how to pull up the covers, which appeared to be glued to the edges of the bedframe), nice-sized shower, etc. The room has a great feel. Free coffee and pastries. Everyone was super friendly. The price was fine. It's not so cheap that we wouldn't have stayed in Manahttan if that's where we wanted to be. We wanted a Queens weekend, and if that's what you're doing, Z hotel is a solid choice.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Great boutique hotel so close to NY. Friendly staff, brilliant rooftop bar and best views of the city -- I will stay here again for sure. Good value for the price. When I heard "Long Island City" I was nervous, but it's 1 stop on the subway and couldn't have been easier.

Room Tip: Higher floors have best views.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in January 2013. Please do not be put off this hotel due to it being on Long Island. The hotel provides a complimentary bus service which runs every hour into Manhattan and and 1/2 hour back to the hotel, this runs from early mroning until about 23.00hrs. The subway is also at the end of the street.

We requested a high floor room and the view of Manhattan were just amazing. The hotel was clean, has a restaurant /bar and the staff are very friendly and helpfull.

If i was to return to NY i will be staying at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room to get the most benefit from the views. All rooms face to Manhattan.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Belfast
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at the Z Hotel - good room, very comfortable bed. The shuttle service to Manhattan is excellent, but a taxi isn't even very expensive if needed instead. We ate in the bar a couple of times, lovely food and very good value. The wifi wouldn't work on my laptop, which was a problem as I was there on business, and none of the staff were able to assist me with this. But aside from this, I did think it was a good hotel. I work in the hotel industry and visit New York 3 or 4 times a year, staying around a week each time, and I felt I had found a good base for future trips. However...

While checking my bill on check-out I discovered that items had been added for food and drinks taken from the minibar. I knew that we hadn't taken these, so I challenged it, and was told a refund would be applied. When I got home I checked my account, and found that I had been refunded, but that another even larger charge had been applied. I have challenged this with the hotel by email, and have been told that this was also for drinks from the minibar. I am 100% certain we did not take these drinks, and have requested for a refund. A week later my request has not even been acknowledged, nor has the overcharging been refunded.

I would urge anyone staying here to check their account very carefully on check-out, and their bank account when they return home, because there seems to be a deliberate policy of overcharging.

I am back in New York for a week's work next month, and had planned to stay at the Z again, but obviously I'm now looking elsewhere. It's a pity.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Armagh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights (26th-28th March 2013). We stayed in a room on 4th floor. Fantastic views of Queensboro bridge and the Manhattan skyline. Views from the roof terrace are unreal. We were disappointed that the roof bar wasn't opened but I guess it was still a little bit chilly for drinking outdoors. Can't wait to go back on a summer night and enjoy a cocktail and watch the sun set over Manhattan. Our room was clean and all fixtures working perfectly. The bed was one of the most comfortable we have ever slept in. We never pulled the curtains at night, preferring to go to sleep looking at the skyline at night and then waking in the morning to see the New York skyline bathed in pale pink sunrise sunlight. Amazing. We didn't eat in the hotel so I can't comment on the food. The staff were very polite and helpful and when we wanted to go the 911 memorial, the receptionist had the whole thing booked for us in about 3 minutes. Due to the fact that everything was perfect with our room we didn't need to interact with the staff for any other matter. We used the free bus to and rom Manhattan a few times and it was very convenient. Great idea. Other times we used the subway from Queensboro Plaza which is only about 10 minutes walk away. The subway gets you to Grand Central Station in less sthan 10 minutes. All in all. the Z hotel is a perect place to stay for visiting New York. You can enjoy a quiet night's sleep unlike hotels in Manhattan where, according to our friends, the traffic runs 24/7 generating non-stop noise. The Z hotel location is also good for trying cafes and restaurants in Long Island City (LIC) and Queens.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor to see more of the view but we were on the 4th floor and had a fantastic view...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Z New York Hotel? Share your experiences!