“Fabulous Hotel with wonderful views” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Long Island City
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Fabulous Hotel with wonderful views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

The highlight of this hotel, apart from the relatively cheap price compared to hotels in Manhattan, was the view. All rooms face towards the skyscrapers of midtown Manhattan- a wonderful view to wake up to. The hotel has a bar on the roof, which has great views and the drinks are reasonably priced.
Although there was not much in the vicinity of the hotel, they provided a free Limo shuttle service hourly, to and from Manhattan. This was a fantastic service, and meant we weren't spending money on cabs.
The rooms were clean and comfortable, although there was not much storage space. The staff were friendly and efficient. I was very pleased with the service I received here.
The continental buffet breakfast provided every morning was tasty and there was plenty of choice. The hotel also provided free wifi and, incredibly, free international phone calls, which was very useful in contacting home.
A wonderful experience, I would definitely stay here again on a trip to New York.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Anaheim, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

My wife and I couldn't be happier with this hotel; the view from every room is amazing. You wake up to the beautiful skyline and river which are visible through the amazing bottom to top windows. The room was clean and the bed was very comfy.
Every morning we enjoyed the complimentary breakfast downstairs; the variety of the food was pretty good and saved us good money. We also made ample use of the free limo trips to manhattan and back to the hotel! This in itself also saved us a lot of money.
This hotel is the best value in town, for sure. It's so easy to get to Manhattan; all you gotta do is cross the bridge! You will not regret choosing this slick and hip hotel.
Only word of caution: the hotel is in the middle of an industrial developing area. However, we felt safe the whole time we were there. We even walked to the metro which is about 7 minutes away a couple of times.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Atascadero, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

The Z hotel is quite new. Nice new facility and very polite and helpful staff. The Roof top bar has views of Manhattan that are terrific. The Limo in to Manhattan is very nice, and the drivers are even fun to chat with. The Shower is wonderful, the rooms are nice. The price is incredible, especially compared to Manhattan. The neighborhood, although industrial is only about a 6 block walk to the queens bridge station, and was quite pleasant and nice at all hours. There is a wonderful letter in the room to greet you that says if you like everything, please pen a review on trip advisor and if you have any problems or suggestions write to the owner directly, Henry z. Well I had a couple of concerns and potential updates to so I sent Henry a letter. When I checked out 6 days later, STILL NO RESPONSE. so if things go well you will be fine. If not, it seems you are on your own. By the way, I asked the staff to relay a message to Henry, and they were afraid of backlash, and requested that I use the email. So the staff is intimidated by this guy! This type of management was confirmed when I went to a small restaurant a few blocks away and chatted with the owner of the restaurant and he said he went way back with Henry and that was his style.

Room Tip: They all view the big city and are all good. I like upper floors myself.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Haywards Heath, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

Location:

Not the best of areas but we knew that when we booked. However, there was LOTS of noise from the traffic and subway trains on the Queensboro bridge just at the end of the street, and lots of trucks coming and going to nearby businesses. The corridors to the rooms are open to the elements which doesn't help with the noise. Nearest subway station is a 5 minute walk. View of Manhattan was not as good as the website promised. You're looking over scruffy rooftops at Manhattan in the distance.

Checkin/staff:

Fine no problems. Staff were friendly, helpful and efficient. I was travelling with a friend and we were assigned adjacent rooms as requested.

Room:

You open the door and appear to step into the bathroom as the sink is in the bedroom which i didnt like. I would have liked a curtain to close it off from the rest of the room. Shower and toilet are behind a glass door. Decor was funky and modern.

Bed:

Comfortable mattress and pillows. White sheets on the bed appeared to be cheap well worn cotton rather than the usual crisp egyptian cotton in most upscale hotels. Duvet looked as if it was in a duvet cover, until I untucked it from the bed to get in, whereupon I discovered it was actually just inside 2 sheets! This meant it was impossible to get through a night without the sheets coming off the duvet. Also, the base sheet was so small that the ends of the mattress were left exposed. This is not good enough i'm afraid.

Room facilities:

Minibar which was well stocked but not in the slightest bit cold. Aircon which made a lot of noise but was incapable of cooling the room below 72F. It helped drown out the traffic noise though. TV ok but poor selection of channels. The much trumpeted "ipod dock" was a cheap sony clock radio with a pull out feature to plug your ipod into. Curtains didnt keep out all the light- the hotel is lit from the outside at night and this light came round the edge of the curtains. Complimentary toiletries were somewhat erratic- some days they were not replenished, and others they left 2 body lotions and no shower gel!

Cleanliness:

Very poor. I dropped some crumbs from a danish pastry on the floor one day in the middle of the room (impossible to miss) and they obviously didn't vacuum as the crumbs were still there after the maid had been. This hotel sells itself on the view. However, if they are going to do this they need to keep the windows clean. Quite simply the filthiest windows I have ever seen. I doubt they have been cleaned since the hotel opened.

Breakfast:

Danish pastries, bagels, toast, fruit yoghurt, tea, coffee, and juice. I would rather have had breakfast cereal to be honest. Surely this would be cheaper for the hotel to provide? I noticed other guests had brought their own cereal. The one provided toaster was inadequate for the number of guests. Supply of pastries was very erratic - some days lots of choise, others virtually none at all.

To sum up:

We chose this hotel as it was half the price of anything comparable in Manhattan. However, it was far too noisy and I wasn't overly impressed with the standards of cleanliness, and the breakfast. For those reasons I would not stay here again.

Note:

This hotel offers prebookable airport transfers from JFK for $40. We booked one, but it failed to appear so we caught a taxi. The price was $35.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Gardner, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

I recently had decided that I would pay my respects in memory of 9/11 by visiting family and friends in New York City. My stay was from September 8, 2011 till September 11, 2011. I was born and raised in NYC and wanted to make this a special and memorable trip. I found Z Hotel on line and was intrigued by its proximity to Manhattan. It was claimed that every room had a beautiful picture perfect view of the NYC skyline and my room on the 11th floor did NOT disappoint! The rooftop lounge was also a diamond in the rough. I had my continental breakfast on the roof every morning, such a pleasure. The staff was second to none; from the kids at the front desk, to the beautiful young ladies that served breakfast, to the courteous chamber-maids all the way to the DJ who played some Metallica for me on Saturday night. The only glitch is there is limited curb side parking in an industrial area of Long Island City and unfortunately because of heightened security in the city the limo service to Manhattan provided ordinarily by the hotel was suspended. We all the best of the situation and I was chauffeured to the train station and the hotel paid for my ride over to the city. I will stay here again and recommend this hotel for anyone wanting a different NYC experience. I saw NO kids at the hotel which gave the place kind of an adult hipster vibe. Sweet! Would be great if they had food available at this property. Stock up on snacks!

Room Tip: Request higher up floors for fantastic view however avoid if Hip Hop sounds from the roof may annoy.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Albany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

Our stay was great except for a few minor details. The bottom sheet on our bed was about a foot to short and did not cover the whole bed...weird. It was that way throughout the week long stay. Curious to see if all the beds are made this way or just ours. One evening after a long day in the city, wanted to take a shower but we had no towels. Called the front desk for a towel and had to call an hour later because the towels never came. On the second call we were told they were out of towels. Who runs out of towels? The staff was very pleasant and helpful. The morning breakfast was pleantiful and good! The shuttle service was excellant! In the morning there was usually to many waiting to fit into the limo so they called a care service. Thank you!. Overall, a great experience and would recommend this to family and friends.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Parabiago, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

This recently opened hotel has been an excellent find for our first stay in NYC and I would recommend it to everyone who wants to travel with style. Great location (only few subway stops from Times Square, and although you have to walk for about 6 blocks to reach the hotel from Queensboro Plaza the area is super safe even at night!), very efficient and friendly staff, healthy breakfast (fruit, juices, coffee, tea, cakes and bagels), wonderful design room (our was located on the 9th floor) with unbeatable views of Manhattan skyline. There's also a free limousine transfer from/to the hotel every hour and in case it is full the staff at the reception will call you a taxi (always for free!). As a guest, you have a discount on drinks at the rooftop bar. Price, although not cheap, is quite fine considering that you are in one of the most expensive city of the world. Would come back for sure!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Z New York Hotel? Share your experiences!