“Breathtaking views. Would love to go back” 5 of 5 stars

Z New York Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11-01 43rd Avenue, Long Island City, NY 11101   |
Ranked #4 of 26 Hotels in Long Island City
Poole, United Kingdom
“Breathtaking views. Would love to go back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

We were drawn towards the Z Hotel as the views looked very impressive on the website and we were out of the noise and crowds of Manhatten area during the evenings. The view from the rooms and the rooftop bar were breathtaking and for people that live in and love the countryside that might seem a bit strange. Transport to and from Manhatten was never a problem for us as the hotel runs a shuttle service every hour and to be driven over the Queensborough bridge is an experience in itself. The limo seats eight at a push and the hotel will lay on extra transport if the limo is full. The district is a bit industrial but we did not find that a problem at all. The rooms are comfortable, clean and well serviced by the staff who were all young, friendly and polite throughout our stay. The only downside with the room was the air conditioning unit which got rather noisy during the night which we needed to run as the weather was very hot. Breakfast was continental and always well stocked but it would have been nice to have a cereal option for a change but thats being a bit picky. We would love to go back and would stay at the Z again but that will be one for the future.

Room Tip: If you want to use the cooler take it out of the cupboard and plug it in elsewhere in the room as it...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Cambridge, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

My husband and I recently stayed for a three night excursion to New York City for some sight seeing and the US Open. This hotel was by far the nicest, cleanest and biggest place we have ever stayed in the city. I usually opt for boutique hotels and this one is a prize. The neighborhood, however, does leave a lot to be desired. The main tip I would give folks is to use the Queensboro Plaza subway station. Google maps suggested a different walking route and it was not a pleasant walk at 7:00 p.m. Nothing dangerous- just factories and warehouses, etc. and not a taxi anywhere to be found until we were about 200 ft. from the hotel. It is correct that there are very few amenities- be sure to stop at the pharmacy/store before arriving. The rest of my review is all positive. The same that everyone else has said- gorgeous views, excellent rooftop bar (very fun), and comfortable beds. Once the bar/lounge is complete downstairs, I would expect the price to go up but I think that convenience would be well worth it.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 8th floor- best views are probably 5 or above.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
VAN NUYS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

Good stuff: great views from room, good breakfast, comfortable beds, nice toiletries.
Bad stuff: very young, inexperienced staff, our room flooded during the hurricane (doors open right to outside), long walk to subways, iffy neighborhood at night, nothing to walk to, infrequent shuttles to city

If you are in your 20s and enjoy a very loud reception desk (due to DJs in lounge) and staff that are too cool for school, then you're good to go. I wouldn't recommend staying in this part of Queens if you are not familiar with NYC.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

I was only here for one Friday night, transit stay between late flight in and an early one out. The hotel looked gorgeous on the website and the price was do-able. The reception area was lovely - wished I was staying longe and could check it out more. My friend arrived on an earlier flight and I arrived several hours later. She'd asked to leave my key at reception, and the friendly staff knew exactly where it was & who it was for when I arrived. Fab.

Got up to the room - beautiful. Really lovely furnishings and fittings. My friend had given up on the aircon unit as it was too loud (in 3 hotels in NYC all had super loud aircon, try and get a room with a ceiling fan!). Room was a bareable temperature at that time. I popped up stairs for a drink - great views of Manhattan! The music was at a decent volume, bar was by no means packed. I get that music carries far and wide when not contained by walls. But holy crap, was I in for a treat when I got downstairs. DJ's decided it was time to crank the music about midnight. I've got hearing loss in one ear, so thought fine, I'll sleep on the good side. No luck. I finally crashed out a few hours later (after watching several episodes watched on my iphone given I couldn't sleep due to the noise). Pounding bass is freaking awful to try and sleep through. There aren't many other tall buildings to buffer the sound (light industrial area).

My advice, for a weekend stay would be to stay here only if you want to party upstairs at the bar! Or perhaps try a much lower floor (I think I was up on 9). Check out at 6am next morning was fine - except staff gave me the wrong price on the car to JFK. He gave me the La Guardia price which is about half! Lucky I realised when the driver looked at me & said 'You're serious, that's LGA price', and I realised it was. No arguments from me.

Dear Z NY Hotel, you get an average rating purely due to the noise. Please sort out your noise levels - leash your djs! If you could promise no excessive noise after 1am, I'd come back..

Room Tip: they all face the Manhatten skyline! Avoid the higher levels on wknd (rooftop bar noise)
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Muscat
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

We stayed at Z Hotel for 8 nights and can't recommend it highly enough. The location is great - views of Manhattan skyline and the river, but we also found brilliant bars and restaurants in the neighbourhood (although be advised these are a couple of minutes walk away). The hotel itself was stunning, great design in the lobby and bars as well as the rooms. Walk-in showers; underfloor heating; comfy robes; complimentary flip-flops and umbrellas. Great amenities. Fluffy towels. Flat-screen TV. All these little touches make it surpass anything of even twice the price on the other side of the river, and then the staff were also incredibly nice! Friendly, efficient, helpful, funny and charming, from the front desk to the bars to the technicians and porters - Maria, Matthew, Felicia, Jack, Michael and everyone else. The only downside was that the restaurant is not yet open (except the breakfast buffet), but judging by the originality and deliciousness of the hotel's cocktail list it will be another treat to look forward to on my next trip, which will certainly be at the Z Hotel. The shuttle to Manhattan was always on time and very useful. Breakfast was great, very good coffee, also pastries, fruit, toast and bagels etc. It could have been replenished a bit more often maybe. If like me you're concerned that the hotel is not in Manhattan (my business was over that side so I was dubious about booking a room in LIC) console yourself with the fact that you get to ride over the bridge in a stretch limo, and in your room you'll have a better view of the island than you ever could if you were on it. There's no business centre but the staff were helpful in printing off tickets etcso that was fine, plus the in-room wifi was free and fast and easy. And don't forget to explore the neighbourhood and a bit further to Astoria, for more great restaurants and bars. Lastly, the place is lovely and quiet so it was easy to get a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: There are no stores around the hotel, so stock up on stuff before you come. Also, no fridge in room...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

We stayed here for 5 nights on our honeymoon and were a little nervous about it's location. We needn't have been though: the free shuttle was fantastic and the views of manhattan from both our room and the rooftop bar were fantastic. Can't recommend highly enough!!!

• Stayed August 2011
horsham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

We decided to stay at the Z Hotel, rather than in Manhatten, as we really liked the thought of the spectacular view from the rooms, as opposed to the normal Manhattan hotel which has a view of some office block or another.
Lets start with all the good things about the Z hotel. The view from the room was fantastic. We had asked to be on a high floor and the hotel arranged this. We were on the 9th floor. The view of the bridge and Manhattan is something special. Go to the roof top bar, it is even better and the bar is really buzzing. As late thirty something's, we didn't feel at all intimidated by the very hospitable staff who worked at the bars.
The breakfast was very good. Always on time and well stocked. Really nice orange juice. Makes all the difference. Again the staff were always very friendly and polite.
The shuttle into Manhattan was really cool. I believe it is a cadillac, which seats eight guests. The driver was again always friendly. I don't think many things will make New Yorkers take a second glance, but every time you got the shuttle, you could see people looking. It really was eye catching and a very pleasant way of getting into town. If you didn't want to get the shuttle, it really was very easy to get the subway, and despite warnings about the area, we felt completely safe and never had any problems. Please don't worry about the area, we found it to be fine. You can also get into Manhattan by getting the subway one stop to Roosevelt Island and then getting a cable car into Manhattan. REALLY COOL and cheap. If you get a Metro Card, it is free. Drops you off about a block from Bloomingdales.
The room was not the biggest we have ever been in, but it was adequate. It was well furnished, well cleaned, etc. Free international calls is a nice touch and it is a genuine offer. Electronic safe was a good size and a real must for me. The shower could have been a little more powerful, but I am just nit picking here. Every room faces Manhattan as the hotel is very slim, so you are guaranteed a view of the city.
OK. Enough of the good stuff, now the bad...
On check in we were greeted pleasantly and check in was quick. We got to our room, using the incredibly slow but really cool lifts, and there was a bottle of champagne, which we thought was from the hotel, as we had let them know it was our anniversary, and we had requested a high up room. There was no note, no champagne glasses and very little ice left in the wine bucket, i.e. the champagne was not cold. So we ended up drinking it from our bathroom glasses. We found out on getting home that my brother had arranged the champagne, with a very personal message which he wanted to pass on to me. This has annoyed me.
During our stay the temperature in the city was around 95F, very hot. On one occasion we were meeting friends in the city and had to be there by 6:00PM. So we decided to get the shuttle in and then the subway downtown. The whole trip would normally take about thirty minutes. We waited outside at 5:00PM after being told by reception that the transport would be there in a few minutes. We decided to wait outside in the sunshine. Twenty five minutes later still no car, even though we had been told a further three times that it was on its way. We ended up walking to the subway and being late meeting our friends. The bridge was jammed up and everything was running really slowly. I understand there is nothing the hotel can do about this, but reception were in contact with the driver and should have passed on to us that he wouldn't be back. I think the hotel should look into an additional car at peak times.
The reception staff! They know very little about the area the hotel is in, Manhattan, or pretty much anything in New York. Any time we asked a question, they just didn't know the answer. They might look good, and I am sure that is why they were hired, but they were the worst part of the hotel. Don't get me wrong, there was only one who was unfriendly, the rest were happy and polite just not informative.
Final bad thing. We booked through Expedia and paid them in advance. On arriving home we discovered that our credit card had been charged by the hotel, and when we phoned to ask why, we were told twice that they would look into it and call back, but they didn't. On the third occasion they again didn't call back, but they did refund us and send an email confirming and apologising. This was a about two weeks later. Really bad end to our Z experience.
We would return, and would actually look forward to it , as we put some of our gripes down to teething problems which any new hotel will have. We met the owner and he was a very pleasant chap, and I wish them all the best with the future. Definitely worth giving it a go, try something a little different than Manhattan.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Z New York Hotel? Share your experiences!