“great value accomodation in New York” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Vetiver
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   29-11 39th Ave, Long Island City, NY 11101   |
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Long Island City
Thessaloniki, Greece
“great value accomodation in New York”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

I stayed with my two teenagers boys in this hotel gor 12 days. The room was spacous for the three of us with a view of the sky scrapers and the bridge from our balcony.It saw very clean and the staff was very polite and helpful in every question we had. We felt very safe when we came back late using the subway because there were usually other tourists moving aroudn as it is an area with many hotels. There were eating choices around if you were tired to go back to town. We really liked Central, just round the corner.The only thing that was disappoing is that they charged us 15 dollars for phone calls attempts I made from the room but I didnot actually speak as my husband did not answer the phone. In all, if I come back I willdefinitely stay here again as it offers an affordable accomodation close to Manhattan but without being overcharged.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

We had a wonderful stay at hotel Vetiver for seven days with our teenage daughters. First of all we were impressed with the friendly and very helpful staff. We love you Chris ;-) They helped us with ordering Yankee tickets and transportation to the airport at a fixed price. The room was clean, felt roomy, had a nice hot shower and was a perfect place to rest and unwind after a hectic day. Teenage girls could watch Netflix, so excellent Wifi. The location was perfect, 2 minute walk from subway, 10 minutes to Times Square. We had breakfast at Zante Diner next to subway station. We like a big breakfast and they provided a great quality for a reasonable price. Also on the same block you can find a convenience store for drinks and snacks and a restaurant, Dutch Kills, where we had a nice dinner. We did not have a view of the Manhattan skyline, nevertheless I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a comfortable, budget friendly stay in New York. I would certainly recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

If you don't mind staying a tiny bit out of Manhattan and taking the sub to get into the city (only 10 minutes, station is right around the corner!), this is your hotel!
Great rooms, clean, convenient, good breakfast and the best staff ever!!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

We were three people sharing a room with two double beds, and it was definitely worth every penny. The hotel is pretty and clean, the room was large enough and came with a balcony. The receptionist Chris was welcoming and very nice. The Subway to Manhattan took 10 minutes or so, which was fine - except when my shopping bags got a bit too heavy;) On the downside, the breakfast was a bit poor at 9.45 - only bagels with raisins left, and no more orange juice. So we learned to get up earlier. Another problem was the wifi, I could not get it to connect on the 8th floor, so I had to sit in the lobby to be online. This was only a problem for the iPhone and iPad devices (I also heard a couple of other people complaining, the receptionist tried to restart the router, but no use) for android phones it worked well everywhere. The A/C smelled a bit damp sometimes, could maybe do with a cleaning.

To sum up, for the price we paid it was an awesome hotel, and I would stay there again if I'm in New York on a budget trip once more.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Victoria, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Vetiver for an Anniversary Trip. We LOVED this hotel. The staff was not only polite, they went out of their way to answer any questions and help with whatever we needed. With the Subway station literally a two minute walk from the hotel, we could be in Manhattan in a matter of minutes. We never actually ate at the Hotel's breakfast as we found a quaint Diner on the corner at the Subway station named Zante's. The food was so amazing at Zante's that we ate breakfast there every morning. It is a great place to eat and people watch. Definitely recommend this hotel and Zante's Diner on the corner. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: As for an upper room with a balcony and a view of Manhattan, you won't be disappointed!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights while visiting NYC. The staff were friendly, efficient and helpful with anything we asked of them. We felt safe walking in the area. There's a subway station only a block or two away so getting around was very easy. Our room and bathroom were clean, stylishly decorated and large, much larger than we expected, with a balcony and a wonderful view. We found the bed to be comfortable and the room quiet. We had a fridge, great for storing drinks and fruit bought at the local grocery store, a stove top with dinnerware as well. A safe, hair dryer, iron and ironing board as well as a desk and ergo chair were in the room. A large closet with shelves to place belongings was a bonus. I found the alarm clock with device charger convenient. The free breakfast was plentiful and great. I thought the employees did a great job keeping it full and the presentation was nicely done. There were many items from which to choose and we were very satisfied with the selection. There's a courtyard if you wish to enjoy your breakfast outside. Quaint! We would definitely stay here again on our next visit to NYC. Thanks for a wonderful experience.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for a whole week, Sunday to Sunday, July 27th-August 3rd. I contacted the front desk a few days prior to chk availability and spoke with Chris. He was polite, professional, knowledgeable, and genuine.

I felt confident choosing Hotel Vetiver and that only intensified upon our arrival and subsequent stay. Chris was there to greet us and we discovered our insurance (traveling for medical purposes, hence last minute booking) secured a 'studio' room, great for 1-2 nights busy sightseers not so much for a longer stay w some space and at least queen bed a big priority. Chris graciously upgraded us immediately and we still had a beautiful view, room 404. Really loved the view enjoyed from balcony.
p
This place is really special. It's one of a kind, literally, so do not expect corporate vibe or a sterile, homogenized atmosphere. We saw many types of people from all over the world staying there. All pleasant.

Other reviews have mentioned proximity to train (very cool) and a couple restaurants. All true. I'd like to add that the pub/diner on the corner, Dutch Kills Centraal, is a gastropub complete w organic arugula/beet/goat cheese salad, mouth watering burgers, and incredible microbrews. The grocery also on same corner is a totally happening yummy place to grab really good cheap eats. Just watch the corner for awhile and see for yourself what locals already know. We didn't eat at the hotel restaurant across the street so can't rate it. We did enjoy the comp breakfast at Hotel Vetiver w coffee, juice, and toasted bagels. There's more, but that's what we partook of.

Discovered treasures;
Euphora, 10 min walk. Saunas, hot tub, cold plunge. $35 day pass. Just what we needed after hospital, docs, etc.
33rd St. Fish Market, 5 min walk from hotel. I would venture to say best one in this hemisphere. Not kidding. Undescribable.

Rooms got a 4 instead of 5 because the bed was lumpy. I would recommend to the hotel to continue to update the mattresses. And no cable or movie channels, which we've never experienced at any lodging facility, but not a big deal. The available, friendly, professional, and welcoming staff was a real treat. I got the distinct impression everyone enjoyed working at the Hotel Vetiver and took pride in its success. That was great to experience.

Quiet, safe area. Close to transportation into the city. Superb staff (thanks especially to Chris!) and awesome views. We loved it and would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014

Been to Hotel Vetiver? Share your experiences!