“Good location and good price !” 5 of 5 stars

You added Hotel Vetiver to your Saves list
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   29-11 39th Ave, Long Island City, NY 11101   |
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Long Island City
Southern Poland, Poland
“Good location and good price !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

Very nice Staff, very nice hotel, great location. very nice , clean rooms. I can recommend it to everyone who doesnt need any luxurious and expensive hotels. good Continental breakfasts.
subway station just a minute walk from the hotel !
Very good access to all NYC attractions. Just 3 subway stops from 5th avenue !
I hope to come back soon !!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelVetiver, Manager at Hotel Vetiver, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Thank you for leaving us an excellent review on TripAdvisor!

I am just thrilled that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations! I am also happy that you were impressed by our staff, the cleanliness of your room and our continental breakfast. I hope that if you come back to NYC you will remember Hotel Vetiver. I thank you again for taking the time to share your excellent experience on with us on TripAdvisor.

Hotel Vetiver

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Not the best hotel I've stayed in Long Island city but still very good. It was one block from the subway and 10 minutes to Times Square. They include breakfast and it was satisfying. I would stay here again. I highly recommend it. I got it at a great rate.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for reviewing Hotel Vetiver on TripAdvisor,

We are always interested to know what worked and didn't work for you. I am glad that you enjoyed our convenient location as well as our continental breakfast. We would like to know what would improvements would make us your favorite hotel in Long Island City.

Thank you again for reviewing us on TripAdvisor and we hope to see you again in the future!

Monterrey, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

It was a great experience, friendly people and good treat, continental breakfast and a very good location. Room was clean every day and excellen view since balcony to manhatthan was really awesome also you can use the subway and go to manhatthan, broadway, timesquare easily. Subways station N,Q,R.

It was noisy but I slept like a rock, so nothing interrupt my dreams.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for an excellent review on TripAdvisor!

I am just delighted to know that you had a pleasant experience with our staff, our breakfast and our convenient location. I am also happy to know that you were able to enjoy a balcony on one of our upper floors with an excellent view of Manhattan. I am also just delighted to know that you slept like a rock when you were here!

We hope to see you again and thank you again for taking a few moments to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor!

Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

This was our first trip to NYC, and after long research we booked Hotel Vetiver!
I can really recommend it, the room was clean and modern, the stuff was helpful and friendly ! The breakfast was included and we really enjoyed it! The metro station is 1 minute walk beside the hotel and within 10 minutes you are in the center of NY! I would definitely book this Hotel again!

Room Tip: I really liked our room we booked, the only thing was that the heater was little bit loud during the...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
HotelVetiver, Manager at Hotel Vetiver, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Thank you for reviewing Hotel Vetiver on TripAdvisor!

I am just delighted that we were your choice for your first time in NYC. Thank you for also mentioning how helpful our staff was, as well as the cleanliness of the room. We take great pride in making sure that every customer receives the level of service that has made Hotel Vetiver stand out among other hotels in Long Island City.

I thank you again for giving us some feedback on your experience! I hope that if you ever find yourself in NYC again that you will make it back to visit us again..

Tucson AZ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

I'll start this with stating that I am a regular (at least 6x a year) visitor to this area; I have an office located nearby. I have wanted to stay at the Hotel Vetiver but they always seemed to be booked when I tried. I typically stay at the Holiday Inn, directly across the street from the Vetiver or the Sheraton Four Points a few blocks away.

I booked at the Holiday Inn and, when I got there, I found that they had canceled my reservation. It seems that I had an old credit card on file with Holiday Inn and, although they confirmed my reservation, it was canceled afterwards without them letting me know. So, major, major demerits for HI, but they did get me the booking at Vetiver.

Check in was friendly and I noticed a small bar area that was unoccupied, behind the check in counter.

The elevator was slow, and smallish. Not quite as small as many European hotels, but small by US standards. It was slow on the trip up, ad slow on every trip afterward.

The room was spartan. This room cost me $319 for Wednesday night and $459 for Thursday night (total $899.76 for 2 nights with tax, so, in effect, $450 per night). For $450 a night I would have expected at, the very least, a cup in the bathroom but no, I had to take a paper coffee cup from the sleeping area.

There was no bedside lamp. Actually, there could not have been since there was no night stand. There were a few small shelves (just large enough to hold a phone) next to the bed. They were occupied by a phone and a small clock on the top shelf, too high to really see from the bed. There were some empty shelves for, I imagine, remote controls or something. The point is, in order to turn on, or off the overhead light, you had to get out of bed and find the wall switch.

The coffee maker was hidden behind the TV, since there was no other place t put it in the room. The problem was, a 2 foot cord and no outlet within w feet of it. If you wanted to use the coffee maker your choices were a) place it on the floor next to the TV b) bring it into the bathroom or c) plug it in the outlet behind the main door, and hidden by the bathroom door, and let it hang since the outlet was at least 3 feet off the ground (it took me a while to find that outlet). There were two small packets of coffee, they seemed to be one cup each, one regular, one decaf. That's OK, I couldn't figure out how to make it anyway; I was not going to brew coffee in the bathroom. They do include a breakfast with coffee; more on that later.

Speaking of outlets, there were those 3 only. The one behind the door was useless, since it was high off the ground, and there was no table of anything else on which to place whatever you were using. If you placed it on the floor, there was the danger of it being damaged by the doors.

The decor is bland with a very odd looking, small, chandelier hanging from the ceiling. It cold only be described as "out pf place".

One of the reasons that I stay at the Holiday Inn (I'm more a boutique hotel person) is that they have real air conditioning and heating. I do not like hotels with through the wall heating and AC. I find them noisy and they distribute the AC or heat unevenly. The Holiday Inn across the street has a wall controlled, central heating and AC unit. The unit in this room was noisy and ineffective. The heater had a remote control, I have no idea why. The room is small enough that a remote seems silly. I any case, while it did power the unit on and off, the other remote controls did not work.

Again, comparing to the Holiday Inn across the street; I have stayed at the HI at least 8 times. It never occurred to me that there was an elevated train a block away. I mean, I know it is there, I take it all the time (very convenient) but I never, ever heard it when I stayed at the Holiday Inn. The windows at the Vetiver must be much more poorly insulated or installed, because not only did the heater keep me awake by cycling on and off, the trains rattled and screeched all night long as well. There was no quality sleep for me at the Vetiver.

The breakfast was served in a room that reminded me of some cafeterias I've been to in poor countries. No decor, minimalist seating, it was a bit cold there as well; dirty dish trolley sitting out open next to the tables. The breakfast consisted of coffee, a prepackaged cereal (you add milk to the package, the package is the bowl) yogurt and some breads for toast. There was also some cold fruit that looked unappetizing and served in an open exposed bowl (no sneeze guards or anything here). But at least there was coffee. But to get there, you had to go on a slow elevator.

Check out was fast and efficient. Of course, I had to ask for a receipt, I had to have a receipt to convince myself that I actually paid $450 a night for this stay.

BTW, both the room at the Vetiver, and the rooms I get at the Holiday Inn have balconies. The balcony at the Holiday Inn has chairs and sometimes, a table. The balcony at the Vetiver had nothing. If the balcony at the Holiday Inn had nothing, at least you could take the chair from the nice desk and place it outside. There was no desk, no chair, at the Vetiver. Which meant, if you wanted to work on your laptop you had to work on your bed.

Now perhaps I just had a crappy room. And, comparing this hotel to the Holiday Inn might be unfair since, after all, it was the Holiday Inn that screwed up in the first place.

But, nontheless, the Holiday Inn (which was pre-paid, or so I thought) came to $653 for the two nights, or about $326 per night. That's about $125 less per night than the Vetiver and that is for one of their more expensive rooms (you can get a smaller or non-balcony room for less).

The Holiday Inn does not include a breakfast but, there is a full restaurant (and full bar) at the Holiday Inn. I usually get my coffee and egg sandwich at the bodega (small deli / grocery) on the corner.

The Holiday Inn does have parking ($20 per night) otherwise you need to park on the street. Remember, this is NY and you have to start feeding money into the meters at (I think) 9:00 am.
There is also alternate side parking so, on certain days you will need to get up early to move your car.

So, Holiday Inn ... much larger rooms, desks, amenities, full bar, full restaurant, parking available, central AC/heat, QUIET rooms where you do not hear the trains, larger balconies (if you get a balcony room) more outlets, real glasses in the bathroom, a place to brew your coffee with at least 2 large packages of coffee included, two fast elevators and night stands with lamps, OR you can pay more and stay at the Vetiver and not get sleep.

BTW, as mentioned, the Sheraton 4 points is down the road and it is also very good and there is a Ramada not far away,but I have not stayed there. There is also Verve, a boutique hotel nearby but, again, I have not stayed there.

Unfortunately, as much as I was hoping that this would be a good experience (I was actually glad when the Holiday Inn screwed up and sent me to Vetiver) it was, sadly, not the case.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for reviewing Hotel Vetiver on TripAdvisor.

I appreciate the time and thought that you put into your review. Although it described a less than stellar experience on our behalf, it was very detailed and it gives us some thorough perspective on our customers' experience of our product.

I realize that you frequent our neighborhood often for business and that you found yourself at Hotel Vetiver because the Holiday Inn was unable to accommodate you. Throughout the review you reiterated your disappointment with the rate you paid, versus the amenities that were offered to you. It is atypical for our rates to be in the range of $400/night. I do not know the exact dates that you stayed with us, but from what I can infer it seems that you probably stayed with us on a night where most hotels were sold out in the area, perhaps sometime around December 4th? I can assure you that this discrepancy in value was most likely due to that fact.

In your review you did not touch on the service of our staff much, you only mentioned that the check in was friendly and the check-out was efficient so I would be interested to know your thoughts on your interactions with our staff as well.

You outlined some of your disappointments with Hotel Vetiver including various aspects of the overall functionality of the guest room, decor of the rooms, efficiency of our elevator, general dissatisfaction with our complimentary breakfast and breakfast area as well noise from the trains and AC wall unit. You highlighted each area and provided a reason to justify your disappointment. I will be presenting your experience to senior management at the hotel so that a strategy can be incorporated on how to improve upon our amenities.

Our guest comfort and satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us. I realize that it is very possible that you may be in our area again. I would appreciate an opportunity to sit down with you if ever possible to discuss your experience. We would love an opportunity to find out what we would need to do to make a second impression.

I thank you again for sharing your experience. It will help us to redirect our focus onto points that are important to our customers.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Within just 5 stops from the center of NY, with the metro station right beside the hotel, I can say that this hotel is a great value for money. The area is decent and quiet, though nothing nice nearby. The rooms are of normal size and in general are clean. The only negative for me was the shaking and the noise from the metro, but then again this is all over NY....Our first night there we went to the little store around the corner to but some water and refreshments but they did not accept credit card, so they asked us where we stayed and they told us to keep the items and go back the next day to pay them! This really amazed me!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelVetiver, Manager at Hotel Vetiver, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Hotel Vetiver.

You mentioned some great aspects about our hotel: our close location to the metro station, our value, room cleanliness and room size. I am sure these features encouraged you not only to book our hotel, but also made your stay enjoyable as well. I am also delighted to know that our neighbors at the deli took care of you as well. One of the delights of a small neighborhood such as Long Island City is that we all look to help each other whenever possible.

You had mentioned that there was "nothing nice nearby", to that I would suggest that you try to visit Astoria. It is only a few blocks from our hotel and there are so many options as far as restaurants, bars and shops go.

houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

This was our first trip to NYC where we did not stay in Manhattan (the prices were insane the week we were going) so I was a little apprehensive of how convenient this hotel would be, but the price was right. The location was great, very close to 2 subways lines so even with the crazy weekend schedules you could always find your way back. We had pretty late nights, walking back around 1am and the short walk was safe. The room was lovely: comfortable bed and pillows, balcony with great view of Manhattan, and I was very pleased by the breakfast. I actually need to call them and find out where their bagels were from because they were delicious! Seriously. Pleasant surprise! The staff was always helpful.
We had one small incident upon check out with poor communication with the front desk regarding transportation to the airport. I really didn't want that to ruin what had been such a great stay so I called and spoke with the manager to explain the situation and she was able to resolve it to my satisfaction. I would wholeheartedly recommend this hotel to anyone looking to get a better value than Manhattan prices and I definitely hope to return again.

Room Tip: The rooms are a little noisy so request a quiet side if that bothers you. Our views were amazing bu...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for reviewing Hotel Vetiver on Trip Advisor!

We are just delighted with the excellent review you have left for us. I am so happy to hear that despite being in NYC for the first time, that you were able to find your way very easily. I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed your guest room, as well as our complimentary breakfast. I hope it was a convenient start to your day. If you are interested in finding out about our bagels you can reach out to us. We have our bagels delivered fresh every morning, so I am glad that you took notice!

Thank you again for your review, we sincerely appreciate it!

Brittney Mosley

Been to Hotel Vetiver? Share your experiences!