“Very Decent Stay” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   29-11 39th Ave, Long Island City, NY 11101   |
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Long Island City
“Very Decent Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Last minute choice to stay at the hotel so I wasn't expecting much. But I enjoyed my stay and enjoyed the vibe.Obviously it isn't the most fanciest hotel but it gave me a comforting feeling. Plus the view of the city is great from where we were at.

• Stayed April 2013
HotelVetiver, General Manager at Hotel Vetiver, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us!! We work very hard to ensure that every guest has a Great Stay with us!! We are happy that you enjoyed the Wonderful Views of the Manhattan Skyline. Thank you once again for choosing the Hotel Vetiver!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a last minute trip and it was a good decision. The concierge was helpful in directing me around NY and answering any questions I had. I would come back again and recommend it to anyone who needs a last minute hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you and we appreciate you staying with our hotel as a last moment of travel and we are happy that we exceeded your expectations!! Our Hotel Staff strives to ensure that every guest is satisfied with there stay. Thank you for choosing the Hotel Vetiver!!
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

My stay was very easygoing. I stayed here earlier this month. The rooms were very cozy and the staff went above and beyond. They allowed me to checkout out later. The hotel right near the subways which allowed me to get to Manhattan easily. I will definitely come back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
HotelVetiver, General Manager at Hotel Vetiver, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
We appreciate your loyalty and we are happy to hear that you enjoyed both of your stays with us!! We always go above and beyond for our Guests and continue to find ways to improve our service. Thank you for your Great Comments and for choosing the Hotel Vetiver. We look forward to seeing again soon!!
Vaasa, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I have great experience with this hotel. We were looking for a cosy and clean hotel, with a good connection to Manhattan. Vetiver offers everything we need. We did not expect unnecessary luxury, the rooms were simple, modern and very clean. It was a pleasure to come back to the hotel, I was actually looking forward to it, after a whole day spent in the downtown.
Positives:
- very nice, clean rooms
- great location
- very helpful, friendly staff

the only negative:
- breakfast /very simple, limited choice - yogurts, cereals or bagels with cheese or jam, coffee, tea, juice/

Personally, I have no reasons to complain about anything, we had a great time in the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for making us your #1 Hotel of Choice!! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our Wonderful Service and Accommodations. We look forward to having you stay with us again the next time you are in New York City!! We receive so many Great Comments about the hotel and service which pushes us to continue to improve in all areas so to provide the Best Guest Experience!!
Lewisville, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Rather than starting with the not so good, I'll tell you what was good about this hotel. Our room, a "condo" was clean and spacious and the price was reasonable. The free breakfast was continental, which is fine with me. When I asked for a late checkout, they made an exception for me to check out at 1pm without being charged for another night. Sweet of them. Ok, that's all the positive.

We arrived around 1215pm and were told that we couldn't check in because 3pm is hotel check in time. We are aware of this, but the way it was conveyed to us wasn't customer friendly. "Your room is not ready. Check in is at 3pm. Go have some lunch and come back in a few hours?" Really?! They apparently don't live near their place of employment. This hotel is NOT in the city! There are no shops to peruse and limited places to eat that are not filthy. It was 90 degrees and my husband was in his nice work clothes, so the last thing we wanted to do was walk around for a few hours. I would suggest that they say something like "Mr. So and So, your room is not ready but if you'd like to have a seat and order a refreshment, we'll ask housekeeping to clean your room as soon as possible. If you'd like to go get a bite to eat, we will be happy to call you and let you know when your room is ready." And say it with a smile!

At check in, I was told that the water is shut off until around 6pm because they were having the boilers serviced. Unbelievable after walking around, trying to find somewhere decent to eat, sweating and miserable!

Once we got into our room, we were happy with the "condo" and it's spaciousness. However, the dishes that were in the kitchenette were filthy! They had very poor lighting in the room, especially in the bathroom. My husband couldn't even shave. Last but not least, there is ONE place in the living area to plug your electronics into and it's by the desk. There were no plugs bedside unless you wanted to pull the bed away from the wall and crawl back behind it. The thought of what might be back there deterred me from doing this.

Obviously, we will not stay here again. We were hoping to find a diamond in the rough, but this was not the case. My husband has nearly twenty employees that travel to New York approximately six times a year, so this will not be the new hotel of choice for them. We will stick with the hotel chains that offer points, miles and a standard of service that we have come to know and appreciate.

Room Tip: If you choose a "condo with a balcony", you shouldn't expect much of a view unless you...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments about your stay with our hotel. I'm sorry to hear about your concerns and I will be looking into them. We appreciate your feedback as it helps us improve service for all our guests.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

My friends and I stayed here from 8/15-8/23. Yes, I checked out yesterday and I'm already doing a review. This hotel more than exceeded our expectations. Right when we checked in we were met with a friendly staff. Chad, one of the employees, was extremely helpful from day one up until we checked out. He was full of useful information that made our stay amazing and well worth it, in the hotel as well as in NY(it was our first time in New York from Alaska). I have nothing but great things to stay about the entire staff that we encountered. We were always met with a greeting and a smiling face.

The first couple nights, we did experience a lack if hot water in the room. We told the staff about it and they acknowledged the problem and we adjusted. Our room received hot water after 9am for the remainder of the stay, so there's no complaints there.

All of our requests were met and we had quite a few so I definitely appreciate the attentiveness of the staff. The room was clean when we checked in and was consistently cleaned by the housekeeping staff everyday that we went out. It was great.

This was by far the best hotel experience that I have ever had, and it definitely made our first visit to New York that much better. So thank you.

PROS: subway is literally one minute down the street from the hotel
Corner store/deli is 10 feet up the street
Amazing staff
Great view
CLEAN!!

CONS: thin walls

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for your Great Comments!! We were happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and we do apologize for the inconvenience you experienced rest assure that it was quickly repaired the same day. Thank you for choosing the Hotel Vetiver and we look forward to seeing you again for your next stay!!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

easy access to Manhattan by subway, clean and comfortable rooms. The surroundings do not seem appealing, no restaurants nearby, no Manhattan Skyline anymore (new hotel building facing Vetiver), nevertheless good value for money if you plan to spend your days on sightseeing, galeries, museums etc. and not in your hotel room.

• Stayed August 2013
We want to Thank You for your feedback regarding your stay with us. We strive on making sure that every guest has the Best Experience possible when staying at our hotel. We are conveniently located 10-15 minutes away for Midtown Manhattan and upon making a reservation we have rooms that provide Wonderful Views of the Manhattan Skyline. Thank You for choosing the Hotel Vetiver!!

Been to Hotel Vetiver? Share your experiences!