“We enjoyed our visit” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
Hampton, Virginia
“We enjoyed our visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

The hotel is clean and in a great location close to a train station. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was great - the bagels were fresh and the coffee was excellent. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: We loved our room with a balcony - chairs on the balcony would have been terrific!

522 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Full disclosure: I used to live in Astoria, Queens. So location was no issue for me and it shouldn't be for you, either. Why? Because someone will roll their eyes when you say you're staying in Queens and then you can laugh as you have a much faster trip into Manhattan than from Brooklyn. Seriously, the train is a block and a half away. You are two stops from Midtown Manhattan.

To that end, this is a great spot to make home base. Easy to get just about everywhere. If you are looking to go out on the town in Manhattan, the only downside is that you will likely choose to take a cab home rather than wait for the subway late at night (but you were going to take a cab anyway...)

The room was great in terms of comfort. Lots of storage, which is unusual for any hotel room. there was a small kitchenette in my room and that gives you the option of keep some food for lunch or something to save some money. The hotel's free breakfast was fine. Cereal, breads and pastries. Better than a lot of breakfasts offered in European hotels. If you just cannot bear not having a hot breakfast, the Neptune Diner is at the Astoria Blvd. subway stop 5 mins away and is outstanding. And cheap.

You would do well to explore Astoria for food one day... lots of good restaurants. 30th Ave and Broadway are good places to start.

Downsides to the hotel: wifi was slow and my VPN would not connect, which wasn't ideal. The curtains in the room do not darken the room all the much once the sun is up, so if you need darkness, plan accordingly. There was very little after hours noise on my floor during my stay, but I could absolutely hear families in the hallway in the morning. This is mainly because of the layout of the building and isn't really something that can be fixed.

All in all, this is a good choice. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: High floor with south facing room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Fresno, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Was visiting the boyfriend's family in Queens and needed a hotel for a night. Hotel Vetiver proved to be a good value. Rates were a bit higher during our stay (April 2013...right around spring break), still, our stay was a good experience. Check-in was a bit slow as there was a rush of check-outs when we arrived and only one person at the desk. We received our room and upon entering, I was a bit disappointed when we did not have a balcony as stated in our online reservations. We asked for a different room with a balcony, and the hotel obliged. We enter the second room, and although it had a balcony, it was nearly half the size! Feeling a bit silly, we went down to the front desk to switch yet again and ended back up in the first room. The staff was very gracious even though I was playing musical rooms. I would have liked to have had the larger room with the view, but I have to say that the staff dealt with my requests for changes in a courteous manner. The room we ended up with was lovely, the carpet, as others have stated, was quite attractive. All in all, Hotel Vetiver was a nice hotel in a great location (just less than half a block from the subway). Plenty of good restaurants in walking distance (go to Arepas Cafe!) I would recommend this place to anyone who would like to stay in a nice place near the city for a reasonable price.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors have the better view, just make sure it is a larger room with a blacony...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Caribou, Maine, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I found Hotel Vetiver on TripAdvisor and was hoping that the great reviews I read were right. Indeed they were! Hotel Vetiver is located 500 feet from a subway which is awesome! The staff were friendly and our only issue was at check-in because the computer was having glitches. The room was average for normal standards and large for Big Apple standards. All the furniture and fixtures were new and the balcony allowed for a great late night view. Continental breakfast and free WiFi were provided. Best of all it was so quiet- we didn't hear our neighbors or outdoor traffic. All in all, a fantastic experience!

Room Tip: Rooms higher up have a better balcony view
HotelVetiver, Manager at Hotel Vetiver, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for an excellent review!

I am delighted to know that you chose our hotel based on our reviews from TripAdvisior. As an independently owned hotel, we take great pride in our TripAdvisor statistics!

I am so glad to hear that you took advantage of our proximity to the subway. Saavy travelors know that this is the most convenient way to travel through NYC. I also understand that the computer was having issues at check-in but I am glad that our staff was still able to give you great service. Thank you for mentioning our quiet rooms and complimentary WiFi and breakfast. We hope that we might have the pleasure of having you here with us again in the future.

Kind Regards,

Brittney Mosley
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

i really enjoyed my stay here with my girlfriend. It was our first time in New York and this hotel made a great base for us to explore Manhatten.The subway was only two minutes away which made this very fast and easy.Rooms were very clean and the view from the balcony overlooking the queensboro bridge was lovely.The best feature about this hotel has to be the staff,really friendly and helpfull.

HotelVetiver, Manager at Hotel Vetiver, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for an excellent review!

On behalf of the entire staff, we appreciate the time you have taken to share your experiences on TripAdvisor. I am glad that you enjoyed your guest room! The tiles of our bathrooms are one of our unique features here at the hotel. Our guest rooms all have slightly different colors and decor. I am glad that you mentioned our guest rooms in comparison to Manhattan. Most guests will find that our property's rooms are much larger and newer than what you will find and pay exponentially more money for in Manhattan. Thank you for your suggestions about the closet; we are currently in the process of introducing closets to all of our guest rooms.

Thank you again for choosing Hotel Vetiver from among all of your options in and around Manhattan. I am pleased that you would recommend us and I hope we might see you again in the future.
The Hague, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

The Hotel is very new and clean. The bathrooms are really nice with beautiful tiles in the shower. The Staff was generally very approachable and friendly, especially the cleaning personnel! My room was very new and while it was very nice there was still a tiny bit of smell of either recent paint or furniture so if you are very sensitive to that or have allergies you might want to wait a bit but other than that, I definitely recommend this Hotel. It was nicer than many places I have seen in Manhattan and it's very close to the subway which is great.
The Hotel could improve the rooms by adding a few hooks to the walls for clothes though because my room did not have a closet!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I enjoyed this hotel. It was clean, staff was friendly, nice size room, bathroom nice size and the bed was comfortable. The staff helped in parking my car out front. This was greatly appreciated. So I had no charge for parking. I enjoyed not staying in a chain hotel. The connivence to the subway was also nice. This drew me to the hotel as well as the price and boutique feel. The breakfast was a downfall but not the reason I picked this hotel. I will definitely stay here again. I also enjoy the location of being in a typical NYC neighborhood outside the glamour of Manhattan.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Hotel Vetiver? Share your experiences!