“Good Value, Great location, Nice aesthetic” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Vetiver
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   29-11 39th Ave, Long Island City, NY 11101   |
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Long Island City
Fresno, California
“Good Value, Great location, Nice aesthetic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Was visiting the boyfriend's family in Queens and needed a hotel for a night. Hotel Vetiver proved to be a good value. Rates were a bit higher during our stay (April 2013...right around spring break), still, our stay was a good experience. Check-in was a bit slow as there was a rush of check-outs when we arrived and only one person at the desk. We received our room and upon entering, I was a bit disappointed when we did not have a balcony as stated in our online reservations. We asked for a different room with a balcony, and the hotel obliged. We enter the second room, and although it had a balcony, it was nearly half the size! Feeling a bit silly, we went down to the front desk to switch yet again and ended back up in the first room. The staff was very gracious even though I was playing musical rooms. I would have liked to have had the larger room with the view, but I have to say that the staff dealt with my requests for changes in a courteous manner. The room we ended up with was lovely, the carpet, as others have stated, was quite attractive. All in all, Hotel Vetiver was a nice hotel in a great location (just less than half a block from the subway). Plenty of good restaurants in walking distance (go to Arepas Cafe!) I would recommend this place to anyone who would like to stay in a nice place near the city for a reasonable price.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors have the better view, just make sure it is a larger room with a blacony...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Caribou, Maine, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I found Hotel Vetiver on TripAdvisor and was hoping that the great reviews I read were right. Indeed they were! Hotel Vetiver is located 500 feet from a subway which is awesome! The staff were friendly and our only issue was at check-in because the computer was having glitches. The room was average for normal standards and large for Big Apple standards. All the furniture and fixtures were new and the balcony allowed for a great late night view. Continental breakfast and free WiFi were provided. Best of all it was so quiet- we didn't hear our neighbors or outdoor traffic. All in all, a fantastic experience!

Room Tip: Rooms higher up have a better balcony view
HotelVetiver, Manager at Hotel Vetiver, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for an excellent review!

I am delighted to know that you chose our hotel based on our reviews from TripAdvisior. As an independently owned hotel, we take great pride in our TripAdvisor statistics!

I am so glad to hear that you took advantage of our proximity to the subway. Saavy travelors know that this is the most convenient way to travel through NYC. I also understand that the computer was having issues at check-in but I am glad that our staff was still able to give you great service. Thank you for mentioning our quiet rooms and complimentary WiFi and breakfast. We hope that we might have the pleasure of having you here with us again in the future.

Kind Regards,

Brittney Mosley
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

i really enjoyed my stay here with my girlfriend. It was our first time in New York and this hotel made a great base for us to explore Manhatten.The subway was only two minutes away which made this very fast and easy.Rooms were very clean and the view from the balcony overlooking the queensboro bridge was lovely.The best feature about this hotel has to be the staff,really friendly and helpfull.

HotelVetiver, Manager at Hotel Vetiver, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for an excellent review!

On behalf of the entire staff, we appreciate the time you have taken to share your experiences on TripAdvisor. I am glad that you enjoyed your guest room! The tiles of our bathrooms are one of our unique features here at the hotel. Our guest rooms all have slightly different colors and decor. I am glad that you mentioned our guest rooms in comparison to Manhattan. Most guests will find that our property's rooms are much larger and newer than what you will find and pay exponentially more money for in Manhattan. Thank you for your suggestions about the closet; we are currently in the process of introducing closets to all of our guest rooms.

Thank you again for choosing Hotel Vetiver from among all of your options in and around Manhattan. I am pleased that you would recommend us and I hope we might see you again in the future.
The Hague, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

The Hotel is very new and clean. The bathrooms are really nice with beautiful tiles in the shower. The Staff was generally very approachable and friendly, especially the cleaning personnel! My room was very new and while it was very nice there was still a tiny bit of smell of either recent paint or furniture so if you are very sensitive to that or have allergies you might want to wait a bit but other than that, I definitely recommend this Hotel. It was nicer than many places I have seen in Manhattan and it's very close to the subway which is great.
The Hotel could improve the rooms by adding a few hooks to the walls for clothes though because my room did not have a closet!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I enjoyed this hotel. It was clean, staff was friendly, nice size room, bathroom nice size and the bed was comfortable. The staff helped in parking my car out front. This was greatly appreciated. So I had no charge for parking. I enjoyed not staying in a chain hotel. The connivence to the subway was also nice. This drew me to the hotel as well as the price and boutique feel. The breakfast was a downfall but not the reason I picked this hotel. I will definitely stay here again. I also enjoy the location of being in a typical NYC neighborhood outside the glamour of Manhattan.

• Stayed June 2013
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

The Hotel is situated on 39th avenue at long island city, which is very accessible as the subway stop is literally 50 meters away, which takes you to Manhattan within minutes.
The both of us felt safe, even in the early morning hours.
If you consider to stay in this hotel, make sure you get a room located at the back of the hotel, as there's very little (almost none) noise for a good night sleep. (and I really appreciate a good night's rest).
The downside is that the passage is quite noisy and the rooms are relatively poorly insulated.
Overall we both enjoyed our stay at the Vetiver hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure you have a room located at the back of the hotel.
São Paulo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Of course the hotel has some problems, but for the price you pay it is a good option near Manhattan. The area nearby is not very pretty but I didn't find it dangerous at all. It is only 2 blocks away from the subway and I arrived late at night some of the days and it was OK.

I wouldn't count on the breakfast. It is messy and has few options: a not-so-good coffee, milk (which you have to heat if you want it hot), bagel, yogurt and cereal. There is however a good cafeteria just in front of the subway which is much better.

Cleaning is average. The room is comfortable and big enough. Ours had a little kitchen which didn't have microwave, but they provided one for us once we asked for it. The shower was a little cold on the beggining but after we complained about it they had it fixed and it was better.

I would like to point out that staff is great, even after I left they helped me with problems I had with delivery of a online shopping I made.

Would recommend it and stay again, despite some caveats.

Room Tip: The front rooms have some lighting which comes from the other Hotel (Holiday Inn) and there is some...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Vetiver? Share your experiences!