“great value hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
London, United Kingdom
“great value hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

i really enjoyed my stay here with my girlfriend. It was our first time in New York and this hotel made a great base for us to explore Manhatten.The subway was only two minutes away which made this very fast and easy.Rooms were very clean and the view from the balcony overlooking the queensboro bridge was lovely.The best feature about this hotel has to be the staff,really friendly and helpfull.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelVetiver, Manager at Hotel Vetiver, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for an excellent review!

On behalf of the entire staff, we appreciate the time you have taken to share your experiences on TripAdvisor. I am glad that you enjoyed your guest room! The tiles of our bathrooms are one of our unique features here at the hotel. Our guest rooms all have slightly different colors and decor. I am glad that you mentioned our guest rooms in comparison to Manhattan. Most guests will find that our property's rooms are much larger and newer than what you will find and pay exponentially more money for in Manhattan. Thank you for your suggestions about the closet; we are currently in the process of introducing closets to all of our guest rooms.

Thank you again for choosing Hotel Vetiver from among all of your options in and around Manhattan. I am pleased that you would recommend us and I hope we might see you again in the future.

423 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
The Hague, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

The Hotel is very new and clean. The bathrooms are really nice with beautiful tiles in the shower. The Staff was generally very approachable and friendly, especially the cleaning personnel! My room was very new and while it was very nice there was still a tiny bit of smell of either recent paint or furniture so if you are very sensitive to that or have allergies you might want to wait a bit but other than that, I definitely recommend this Hotel. It was nicer than many places I have seen in Manhattan and it's very close to the subway which is great.
The Hotel could improve the rooms by adding a few hooks to the walls for clothes though because my room did not have a closet!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I enjoyed this hotel. It was clean, staff was friendly, nice size room, bathroom nice size and the bed was comfortable. The staff helped in parking my car out front. This was greatly appreciated. So I had no charge for parking. I enjoyed not staying in a chain hotel. The connivence to the subway was also nice. This drew me to the hotel as well as the price and boutique feel. The breakfast was a downfall but not the reason I picked this hotel. I will definitely stay here again. I also enjoy the location of being in a typical NYC neighborhood outside the glamour of Manhattan.

• Stayed June 2013
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

The Hotel is situated on 39th avenue at long island city, which is very accessible as the subway stop is literally 50 meters away, which takes you to Manhattan within minutes.
The both of us felt safe, even in the early morning hours.
If you consider to stay in this hotel, make sure you get a room located at the back of the hotel, as there's very little (almost none) noise for a good night sleep. (and I really appreciate a good night's rest).
The downside is that the passage is quite noisy and the rooms are relatively poorly insulated.
Overall we both enjoyed our stay at the Vetiver hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure you have a room located at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
São Paulo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Of course the hotel has some problems, but for the price you pay it is a good option near Manhattan. The area nearby is not very pretty but I didn't find it dangerous at all. It is only 2 blocks away from the subway and I arrived late at night some of the days and it was OK.

I wouldn't count on the breakfast. It is messy and has few options: a not-so-good coffee, milk (which you have to heat if you want it hot), bagel, yogurt and cereal. There is however a good cafeteria just in front of the subway which is much better.

Cleaning is average. The room is comfortable and big enough. Ours had a little kitchen which didn't have microwave, but they provided one for us once we asked for it. The shower was a little cold on the beggining but after we complained about it they had it fixed and it was better.

I would like to point out that staff is great, even after I left they helped me with problems I had with delivery of a online shopping I made.

Would recommend it and stay again, despite some caveats.

Room Tip: The front rooms have some lighting which comes from the other Hotel (Holiday Inn) and there is some...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I've been staying at Hotel Vetiver twice a month for nearly a year, for business. I had tried a number of other hotels around Manhattan, but settled on Vetiver because it really outshined the others. The decor of the hotel and rooms is classy and inviting. The staff are wonderful, always greet me with a smile, and remember me when I come back. The view from many of the rooms is nice, with the Manhattan skyline just across the river, shining in the night. Most rooms have balconies that you can go out on to grab some fresh air and relax. Some have kitchenettes, for longer stays or if you really want to cook up some healthy food. There's a bodega one block away that has all the basics.

Vetiver even has a little wine bar with some tasty food in the lobby. I quite enjoy the cheese plate with a glass of red. Morning continental breakfast is a good selection of bagels, yogurt, fruit, and cereal. The coffee in the breakfast room is rather good (I am an insufferable coffee snob, btw), although the in-room coffee is terrifying. It's labeled "European Blend" - I hope all the Europeans who stay at Vetiver are not offended!

Access to the subway is easy, as the 39th Ave subway station is a block and a half away. A two-minute walk gets you to the N-Q, which you can take right into Manhattan. I take it one stop and transfer to the 7 (walk right across the platform, it's easy), so I can go to Grand Central. Being so close is great in the morning, when I'm usually not awake or wanting to deal with anything complicated!

Vetiver is a wonderful place. It is well-designed and friendly, yet inexpensive. By no means is it luxury, the various fixtures are inexpensive ones, but it all comes together into a better experience than you'd expect. Be warned! Many of the rooms do not have easily-accessible electrical outlets, so if you have a lot of things to charge overnight or plug in, you may have to pull out the TV stand to find a power outlet. I've also stayed in some rooms that have been under renovations, and had a few rough edges - paint, plaster, things like that, which needed touch-ups. But they are always working on the hotel, and it's newly-built, so this is understandable. You can hear noise out in the hallway, as the doors don't seal out sound completely, but this has never been an actual problem as there are no people running around making noise. The elevator is not very fast in the morning, when everyone is getting on board for breakfast and their adventures in NYC. But really, all these issues are very small things, and have never caused me serious trouble at all.

The staff is super helpful and friendly. Don't hesitate to ask them for anything you need, and get to know them a bit. Great people!

Vetiver is a wonderful hotel, very close to transit, fantastic staff, stylish rooms, and a very affordable price for the NYC area. You will be happy you chose to stay there! Just bring your own coffee if you really want to make it in your room ;)

Room Tip: Rooms on the front of the building, and above the 4th floor or so, have the best view! The coffee in...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Overall, our family of 4 including 2 teens was extremely pleased with our decision to stay here for 4 nights. We had a room with 2 double beds on the 2nd floor so no view, but that was ok. We felt the room was perfectly spacious and very nicely decorated. I thought the beds were very comfortable with great bedding but they were a little short for my 6"3' husband. Also, the bed frames are wood and we all hit our knees on the corner at least once walking through the room. The bathroom is gorgeous and large-we only had a shower which was fine for us but may be an issue if you need/want a tub. There is also just a small shelf and a medicine cabinet for toiletries-enough space overall if not a bit awkward. The air conditioner worked well but was quite loud, although this proved a positive as it drowned out the noise from people in the halls-the walls are thin. Breakfast was adequate but not great-milk sits out all morning so it's warm by the end of breakfast time and when we went down for coffee around 9 there were no sugar packets but luckily these are also provided in the room along with a personal coffee maker. Only other downside I could see for some, although it didn't bother us, is that there really isn't anywhere to hang clothing up (small rack with 2 hangers by door) and there are just a few drawers in the cabinet that the tv sits on-we were fine living out of our suitcases for a few days. The lobby and guest rooms are gorgeous but the hallways need some work-the tile looks dirty but that's the only part of the hotel that I didn't feel was immaculately clean. Best part about the hotel is the location. 2 minute walk to the 39th St. station and we were in the city in a matter of minutes. Area is a mix of ethnicities, working class, with plenty of convenience stores and places to grab a bite within walking distance. We felt safe and were glad to see more of NY than just Manhattan. Staff at the hotel was also phenomenal and we experienced zero problems while there. Finally, we could have tried to park for free on the street but construction was going on across the street which resulted in some parking restrictions so we parked our car in the garage across the street for $20/night and the peace of mind knowing our vehicle was secure was worth the money.

Room Tip: I hear you have a view on the higher floors if that's a priority. Walk down to 36th street for...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Vetiver? Share your experiences!