As a Choice Privileges Diamond member, I stay at Choice branded properties frequently, of which Sleep Inn is one. This particular Sleep Inn was one of the best of the brand that I have ever stayed in.
The staff are pleasant, efficient, helpful, and cordial. I was checked in by a cheerful front desk person and was on my way to the room in no time. The room was of ample size, with the typical Sleep Inn furnishings - 2 comfortable beds, work desk with ample space, wall-mounted HDTV, in room coffee, and a nice view of the NYC skyline. Bathroom was spotless, with ample hot water for the shower. This may have been a handicapped room, because the bathroom door was extra large and there was room where a wheelchair could have rolled up to the sink.
A nice touch was that in the elevator, the floors where ice, soda, and snack machines were located were clearly noted by the floor buttons.
The neighborhood itself is a bit run down, but the location turned out to be quite good - about 2-3 blocks to the closest subway stop (F Train) and a few blocks more to Queensboro Plaza subway, where a variety of lines converge. The F train makes it very convenient to get into Manhattan (2 stops) or to LaGuardia (1 stop to 74th Street/Roosevelt Ave, then catch the express Q70 bus to LGA), and if you're going to the Mets game, you can catch the 7 train from Queensboro Plaza. There is a 24 hour small grocery about 2 blocks from the hotel, on the walk to/from the subway.
Two things to be aware of - for informational purposes only.
First, the hotel does ask to make a copy of your personal ID when you check in. Normally I consider this a BIG red flag and decline permission to make copies, as it is very risky to copies of one's personal identification floating around, no matter how good a hotel's security policies may be. I personally have had such copies misused in the past (NOT at this hotel - at 2 other hotels) and see no reason why a hotel of any quality should require this from guests. Normally I downgrade my Tripadvisor ratings when this happens, but in this case, I have not downgraded my rating, because when I explained my decline to the person who checked me in, they withdrew the request. But I mention this to let other travelers know that they may be asked to allow a copy to be made of their ID, and, from a personal identify protection standpoint, I would strongly encourage such guests to decline to allow the copy to be made. I also mention it in the hope that hotel management sees this comment and gets rid of what is an ill-advised and invasive policy.
Second - most Sleep Inns have a 24-hour coffee service set up for guests. This one apparently doesn't. No big deal; just mentioning it so you'll know.
Overall - a very nice hotel, well run, and surprisingly well located for trips into Manhattan and to/from LaGuardia, but not at a Manhattan price.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Conveniently located 3 minutes from the F train on 21st-Queensbridge. Free continental breakfast, with dining space available at all times. Each room is equipped with High speed internet, Cable television, a working safe and coffee maker. 24 Hour gym is available on the ground floor. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Choice Hotels, Cheap Tickets, Odigeo, getaroom.com, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Sleep Inn - Long Island City reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Howard Johnson Inn, Long Island City Hotel Long Island City
- Sleep Inn - Long Island City New York