“One of the Best Sleep Inns ...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sleep Inn - Long Island City

Save Saved
You added Sleep Inn - Long Island City to your Saves list
Sleep Inn - Long Island City
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   38-71 13th Street, Long Island City, NY 11101 (Formerly Howard Johnson Inn, Long Island City)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Long Island City
Rowlett, Texas
“One of the Best Sleep Inns ...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

As a Choice Privileges Diamond member, I stay at Choice branded properties frequently, of which Sleep Inn is one. This particular Sleep Inn was one of the best of the brand that I have ever stayed in.

The staff are pleasant, efficient, helpful, and cordial. I was checked in by a cheerful front desk person and was on my way to the room in no time. The room was of ample size, with the typical Sleep Inn furnishings - 2 comfortable beds, work desk with ample space, wall-mounted HDTV, in room coffee, and a nice view of the NYC skyline. Bathroom was spotless, with ample hot water for the shower. This may have been a handicapped room, because the bathroom door was extra large and there was room where a wheelchair could have rolled up to the sink.

A nice touch was that in the elevator, the floors where ice, soda, and snack machines were located were clearly noted by the floor buttons.

The neighborhood itself is a bit run down, but the location turned out to be quite good - about 2-3 blocks to the closest subway stop (F Train) and a few blocks more to Queensboro Plaza subway, where a variety of lines converge. The F train makes it very convenient to get into Manhattan (2 stops) or to LaGuardia (1 stop to 74th Street/Roosevelt Ave, then catch the express Q70 bus to LGA), and if you're going to the Mets game, you can catch the 7 train from Queensboro Plaza. There is a 24 hour small grocery about 2 blocks from the hotel, on the walk to/from the subway.

Two things to be aware of - for informational purposes only.

First, the hotel does ask to make a copy of your personal ID when you check in. Normally I consider this a BIG red flag and decline permission to make copies, as it is very risky to copies of one's personal identification floating around, no matter how good a hotel's security policies may be. I personally have had such copies misused in the past (NOT at this hotel - at 2 other hotels) and see no reason why a hotel of any quality should require this from guests. Normally I downgrade my Tripadvisor ratings when this happens, but in this case, I have not downgraded my rating, because when I explained my decline to the person who checked me in, they withdrew the request. But I mention this to let other travelers know that they may be asked to allow a copy to be made of their ID, and, from a personal identify protection standpoint, I would strongly encourage such guests to decline to allow the copy to be made. I also mention it in the hope that hotel management sees this comment and gets rid of what is an ill-advised and invasive policy.

Second - most Sleep Inns have a 24-hour coffee service set up for guests. This one apparently doesn't. No big deal; just mentioning it so you'll know.

Overall - a very nice hotel, well run, and surprisingly well located for trips into Manhattan and to/from LaGuardia, but not at a Manhattan price.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Korean first
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I thought this hotel was great for my purposes. It was a typical Sleep Inn layout, clean, and the staff was unusually friendly and helpful. Hats off to them. I enjoyed to low cost accommodations that are so close to the Subway.
The only issue with the hotel is the proximity to a very large public housing project. I walked to and from the subway a dozen times, only one time did it feel uncomfortable. The local residence tend to be hanging around outside from about 8 pm to 11pm. During that time it can be a little intimidating. The streets are dirty but that is typical of New York. There are two small markets, a chinese to go place and a subway sandwich shop...
I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Tampa, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

This is my fourth time staying with them. The price is fairly cheap and the rooms are always clean. It seems to be in the not so safest neighborhood at first, but it's not bad at all. There is also some pretty good local eateries right outside the hotel. The breakfast is pretty good as well. The breakfast line gets pretty long so be there pretty early. It's served from 6:30-930. What's perfect about this hotel is its location to a train stop It's right next to the train stop. And it's less than 20 minutes and you are in the grand Central station JFK or LGA. This is by far my favorite hotel in long Island city.

• Stayed July 2014
SleepInnLIC, Guest Relations Manager at Sleep Inn - Long Island City, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review, it is our great pleasure that you have enjoyed many stays with us. We hope to maintain our great credibility with you and with other guests as well. Hope that your review encourages many new guests who will find the same great experience as yourself.

Best regards,
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I used to stay in New Jersey while visiting New York City. No more. Queens borough is a great alternative. Sleep Inn hotel is just 3 blocks from a subway station, in a bad looking section, but secure.

Room Tip: Odd rooms have Manhattan view
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

We booked through choice hotels and had a comfortable stay. Parking spots are limited and this was our biggest concern. Fortunately, we got a spot and it was a good experience. I wish it were possible to reserve spots immediately upon booking but understand how that can be hard. Street parking is available and it seemed fine. Breakfast is consistent with what you can expect from 2/3 star hotels.

Two metro stations nearby - 21 st and Queensboro Plaza. It was sufficient to get around the city easily.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
SleepInnLIC, Guest Relations Manager at Sleep Inn - Long Island City, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time out to write a wonderful review. We are extremely glad that you enjoyed your to stay to the full extent. At Sleep Inn - LIC we aim to provide our best services and amenities in order to make all of our guests feel welcome and comfortable. We hope that you will come stay with us again very soon.

Best Regards,
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

First time in New York and what a time I had. I wish I had placed a review online when I stayed but here goes.

Reception was clean and staff was very friendly.

View from our window was amazing overlooking the bridge I couldn' describe how nice it looked while the sun was out.

Rooms were totally clean and so was the bathroom.

round the corner from the hotel there is a shop which has a deli bar which serves all sorts of food for you so I would recommend you try it out as its really nice and cheap.

Queensbridge station is a 5min walk which will get you into town etc. The subline did confuse me a little but as my bestie has been there plenty of times I felt safe and we didn't encounter any problems.

Breakfast was lovely and they have a microwave so if you do bring food back you can always warm this up.

I travelled here in May-June 2012. Totally awesome trip and will go back.

Room Tip: From what I remember the rooms at the back are normally the quieter, although this may have changed...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Castlebar 0000
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

Booked through booking.com.Got a great rate.Was pleasantly surprised with the amount of space in the room-unusual for New York.Breakfast was included and there was a nice selection from cereal, yogurt, eggs, bagels, juice, fruit,coffee etc. You could eat as much as you liked.Housekeeping do a fantastic job very clean room and bathroom. 3 minute walk from 21st Queensbridge subway. F train brings you to Coney Island or Mamhatten.Can connect to it from JFK airtrain. Neighbourhood looks a little unsafe but we were walking from subway after 11 and encountered no problems.There is a grocery store on the corner which also has a deli.Didn't buy food there so can't comment on that.Staff in hotel very friendly.Would stay here again& recommend it to others

• Stayed July 2014
SleepInnLIC, Guest Relations Manager at Sleep Inn - Long Island City, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

We highly appreciate your most wonderful review. It is our great pleasure that we were able to provide you with a comfortable and satisfactory stay. We hope to continue our best of services so that all of our guests may enjoy the same quality of stay that you have enjoyed. Come see us again soon.

Best regards,
Sleep Inn - LIC

Been to Sleep Inn - Long Island City? Share your experiences!