“Very good” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sleep Inn - Long Island City

You added Sleep Inn - Long Island City to your Saves list
Sleep Inn - Long Island City
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   38-71 13th Street, Long Island City, NY 11101 (Formerly Howard Johnson Inn, Long Island City)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in Long Island City
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
“Very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Pros: The staff is very friendly, the room clean, near to subway( 5 min), I had a great view of the city form our room (Qeensbridge, empire state building and sky scrapers), easy to visit city form this location, ok neighbourhood.
Cons: not many choices at breakfast and poor-medium quality. Compared to other hotels we searched, at least this hotel had breakfast included, so is 1/2 bad :).
Overall: I recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room from where you can se Manhattan
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

SleepInnLIC, Guest Relations Manager at Sleep Inn - Long Island City, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Dear Guest,

We highly appreciate your detailed review of your stay at Sleep Inn - LIC. It is always a pleasure to know that our services provided a satisfactory visit to our guests. Your review is very important to us, and we will keep in mind to improve our breakfast selection. We hope that you will stay with us again.

Sleep Inn - LIC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

We were 6 motorcycles… One of us took the last parking place. (you need more). They managed to place 3 bikes in the spot… BUT. 3 bikes were left outside. The manager told us to park in the handicapped zone,,but one of the housekeeping guy thought it wasn't too good. He found us a just enough places for our 3 remaining bikes.. THIS IS CUSTOMER SERVICE.
2 metro lines nearby. 1 is one block from the Hotel and the other one about 4blocks.
Good corner restaurant for breakfast.
Localisation is good, not too far from highway.
ROOM WAS SUPER NICE!!!!

Room Tip: just get there. pricing is right at like 20minutes from manhattan by metro.. more expensive in Jerse...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

SleepInnLIC, Guest Relations Manager at Sleep Inn - Long Island City, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Dear guest,

We extremely joyful that you were fully attended to and had a great experience at our hotel. We hope to keep up our services to provide the same exceptional visit to all of our guest. Hope you come visit us again soon.

Best regards,
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Our family of 4 was in town for a long weekend and found the room to be very nicely clean and up to date. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful including directions for the subways and dining advice. The price was great, as was our view. The area between the subway station and hotel is a bit rough looking, but we never saw any trouble. Our only problem was construction on the subway line over the weekend which made the route a bit trickier. Also, the breakfast area was out of fruit for one day and had only apples another. We would stay again if in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Dear guest,

It is our great pleasure that you were able to find our hotel comfortable and enjoy your stay. We understand the hesitation towards the neighborhood and hope that with the on going development you will find your next stay even better. Our goal is to provide exceptional service to each of our guests and make sure everyone enjoys the same valued service as you have.

Barquisimeto, Venezuela
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

With very good service and comfortable rooms, the experience was over expected, we returned to the hotel past midnight for ten days with no problem. Next time surely we'll stay at this hotel. The 21th queenbridge subway station is only two blocks far to the hotel. You have others options for subway like Queens Plaza, eight blocks far to the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with manhattan's view.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

SleepInnLIC, Guest Relations Manager at Sleep Inn - Long Island City, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review, it is our extreme pleasure that we were able to provide an exceptional stay. We aim to meet all of our guest expectations to the best of our ability and make sure that guests feel comfortable and stress free. Hope to see you again very soon.

Best regards,
Malmo, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

I booked this hotel as I couldn't justify the 400+ on Manhattan and furthermore the 55+ USD per night for parking. After reading the reviews about the dodgy area, I called the hotel in advance to ask them about parking for my rental 2014 Mustang. The guy said they had a garage for parking, great.

I arrived quite late, around 10.30pm and it is accurate what the other reviewers say about the area - it doesn't feel the safest and is poorly lit. When I went to check in, I was informed there were no spots left in the garage - the idea of leaving this sports car in this area didn't appeal at all. I have to commend the receptionist, who called the other hotel (Best Western) which shares the garage and managed to find me a place. Kudos to her, it was very much appreciated.

Getting to the room I found that the bedside light didn't work as the switch had been pushed down into the light enclosure. The lack of light was annoying seeing I wanted to read. I called the reception who sent someone up. This guy who was meant to be the maintenance personnel had no tools, and poked around inside of the LIVE light with the complimentary room pen until I told him to unplug it. No kudos there. In the end (30 mins of him poking around) I told him to forget it, and took the light from the desk instead.

The shower, while the temperature was ok, the pressure was a little weak. Getting the water to flow through the shower was not obvious either.
Beds were very comfortable and felt clean. The area *is* noisy, but was so tired that this wasn't an issue for me.

Breakfast the next morning … well, it was awful. If you are staying here to visit Manhattan you are better off grabbing a piece of fruit and skipping the rest. Stodgy looking meat patties, eggs in the fridge, stale cereal, tight cramped and crowded dining quarters .. If this hotel was based on the breakfast alone then it would be one star.

I had only booked one night, and booked another night. The reception (on my request) gave me the second night for the same rate as the first, as compensation for the faulty light. This was good as the rate i would have payed was marginally worth it. I needed to change rooms, so left my luggage and didn't return from Manhattan until 1.30am where it did *not* feel safe walking from the F-metro to the hotel. The second room had no problems with the lights, but the A/C would not turn off until I unplugged it. Again, bed felt clean and comfortable.

On checkout I planned to goto Manhattan for a few more hours and the hotel were good enough to let me leave my car in the carpark until 3pm. Due to metro delays, it was closer to 4.30pm before I collected the car, and they were OK with this.

So to summarise:
+ Reasonable rates (compared to Manhattan)
+ Good location in terms of Metro
+ Reception staff were helpful and dealt with my complaints

- Breakfast is the pits
- Neighborhood does not feel very safe
- Some rooms have some faults

Would I stay here again? Probably not, but I have no reason not to recommend it.

Room Tip: High floor has less noise and a view of Manhattan skyline.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review of your stay. Your review is very helpful to our hotel as well as future guests who will be visiting us for the first time. We are glad that we were able to help resolve the issues you found and will assure you that certain measures have been taken to fix the matters. Hope that on your next visit you will find a completely hassle free and more enjoyable stay with us.

Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

The location is very good if you want to save and stay out of Manhattan. It's only 5 minute walk from the metro station that will take you to Rockefeller station (next to the Rockefeller Tower) in 10 -15 minutes. The area is a bit dodgy, but I didn't get into any trouble even though was alone.
I had a nice view on Manhattan (apart from rather ugly roofs, but it's ok). The wifi in the room wan't good, but the the lobby it was ok. The breakfast was no good. The personnel was friendly and helpful. No city maps at the reception, had to buy one in a souvenir shop in Manhattan.
The hotel is just to spend a night in and spend a day on Manhattan.

Room Tip: I guess the Manhattan view made me feel much better about the whole thing (even though I've seen...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. It is very important to us that we provide an exceptional service to all of our guests and provide a great visit to the best of our ability. Hope that future guests find your review very helpful in choosing their next budgeted stay. Come visit us again soon.

Sacramento, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Really enjoyed our stay at this location. Front desk staff were very helpful and friendly. Had no issues with our room. We arrive very early and front desk staff tried to find a room so we can check in early. The free breakfast was good, but was very congested and couldn't find a table to sit. This location was very close to the subway system. Hotel's location is not best but felt very safe to get to the subway. We had a late departing flight, we were allowed to leave our bags with the front desk for $1 per bag. Getting to and from JFK Airport was easy due to it's location to the subway. F train to E train to Airtrain, simple.
I would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to Sleep Inn - Long Island City? Share your experiences!