“A little mixed, but overall good” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sleep Inn - Long Island City

You added Sleep Inn - Long Island City to your Saves list
Sleep Inn - Long Island City
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   38-71 13th Street, Long Island City, NY 11101 (Formerly Howard Johnson Inn, Long Island City)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in Long Island City
Malmo, Sweden
“A little mixed, but overall good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

I booked this hotel as I couldn't justify the 400+ on Manhattan and furthermore the 55+ USD per night for parking. After reading the reviews about the dodgy area, I called the hotel in advance to ask them about parking for my rental 2014 Mustang. The guy said they had a garage for parking, great.

I arrived quite late, around 10.30pm and it is accurate what the other reviewers say about the area - it doesn't feel the safest and is poorly lit. When I went to check in, I was informed there were no spots left in the garage - the idea of leaving this sports car in this area didn't appeal at all. I have to commend the receptionist, who called the other hotel (Best Western) which shares the garage and managed to find me a place. Kudos to her, it was very much appreciated.

Getting to the room I found that the bedside light didn't work as the switch had been pushed down into the light enclosure. The lack of light was annoying seeing I wanted to read. I called the reception who sent someone up. This guy who was meant to be the maintenance personnel had no tools, and poked around inside of the LIVE light with the complimentary room pen until I told him to unplug it. No kudos there. In the end (30 mins of him poking around) I told him to forget it, and took the light from the desk instead.

The shower, while the temperature was ok, the pressure was a little weak. Getting the water to flow through the shower was not obvious either.
Beds were very comfortable and felt clean. The area *is* noisy, but was so tired that this wasn't an issue for me.

Breakfast the next morning … well, it was awful. If you are staying here to visit Manhattan you are better off grabbing a piece of fruit and skipping the rest. Stodgy looking meat patties, eggs in the fridge, stale cereal, tight cramped and crowded dining quarters .. If this hotel was based on the breakfast alone then it would be one star.

I had only booked one night, and booked another night. The reception (on my request) gave me the second night for the same rate as the first, as compensation for the faulty light. This was good as the rate i would have payed was marginally worth it. I needed to change rooms, so left my luggage and didn't return from Manhattan until 1.30am where it did *not* feel safe walking from the F-metro to the hotel. The second room had no problems with the lights, but the A/C would not turn off until I unplugged it. Again, bed felt clean and comfortable.

On checkout I planned to goto Manhattan for a few more hours and the hotel were good enough to let me leave my car in the carpark until 3pm. Due to metro delays, it was closer to 4.30pm before I collected the car, and they were OK with this.

So to summarise:
+ Reasonable rates (compared to Manhattan)
+ Good location in terms of Metro
+ Reception staff were helpful and dealt with my complaints

- Breakfast is the pits
- Neighborhood does not feel very safe
- Some rooms have some faults

Would I stay here again? Probably not, but I have no reason not to recommend it.

Room Tip: High floor has less noise and a view of Manhattan skyline.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
SleepInnLIC, Guest Relations Manager at Sleep Inn - Long Island City, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review of your stay. Your review is very helpful to our hotel as well as future guests who will be visiting us for the first time. We are glad that we were able to help resolve the issues you found and will assure you that certain measures have been taken to fix the matters. Hope that on your next visit you will find a completely hassle free and more enjoyable stay with us.

Sleep Inn - LIC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

The location is very good if you want to save and stay out of Manhattan. It's only 5 minute walk from the metro station that will take you to Rockefeller station (next to the Rockefeller Tower) in 10 -15 minutes. The area is a bit dodgy, but I didn't get into any trouble even though was alone.
I had a nice view on Manhattan (apart from rather ugly roofs, but it's ok). The wifi in the room wan't good, but the the lobby it was ok. The breakfast was no good. The personnel was friendly and helpful. No city maps at the reception, had to buy one in a souvenir shop in Manhattan.
The hotel is just to spend a night in and spend a day on Manhattan.

Room Tip: I guess the Manhattan view made me feel much better about the whole thing (even though I've seen...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. It is very important to us that we provide an exceptional service to all of our guests and provide a great visit to the best of our ability. Hope that future guests find your review very helpful in choosing their next budgeted stay. Come visit us again soon.

Sacramento, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Really enjoyed our stay at this location. Front desk staff were very helpful and friendly. Had no issues with our room. We arrive very early and front desk staff tried to find a room so we can check in early. The free breakfast was good, but was very congested and couldn't find a table to sit. This location was very close to the subway system. Hotel's location is not best but felt very safe to get to the subway. We had a late departing flight, we were allowed to leave our bags with the front desk for $1 per bag. Getting to and from JFK Airport was easy due to it's location to the subway. F train to E train to Airtrain, simple.
I would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Mount Pleasant, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

The hotel is really nice. It is very close to subway F. But there is no microwave in the room.
The hotel provide a piece of transportation information which tells you how to take F train to points of interest - BUT it only works for the week day. The F train changes its outbound route in weekend and holiday, which took me a while to figure it how to take the train back to hotel in weekends. It will be great if the hotel reminds the guests of the abnormal subway schedule for the weekends and holiday.

Beijing, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

it is close to subway F. The room is small, no much places for suitcases. Room is clean. The breakfast from 6.30 to 9.30, and all basics can be found. Note that no microwave oven in room, free parking lot around.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

SleepInnLIC, Guest Relations Manager at Sleep Inn - Long Island City, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Dear Guest,

We are glad that our services and amenities were of convenience to you, and provided you with a great stay. We hope that future guests will find your review useful in choosing our hotel and that they will also enjoy their stay as well as you did. Hope you come back to enjoy more of our hotel.

Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

If you're traveling to visit Manhattan, NY this hotel can be your right choice (It's money). It's located just 5 minutes walking to 21st queen subway station where you can reach the Times Square with in 15 minutes using line F. The breakfast was also great served daily from 6 to 10 am. The staffs as well were friendly and helpful all times.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

Pros: friendly service, clean comfortable room, nice view, very close (2 blocks) to subway into Manhattan (2 stops/5 mins to 63rd St on F Train), decent rates

Cons: loud doors, slow elevator, tepid shower, sub-par breakfast, location in Queens may not suit all travelers - neighborhood, while safe, may seem "dodgy" to some

If you don't need to stay in Manhattan and plan on taking the subway around anyways, Sleep Inn LIC may just be a better choice than other, pricier properties elsewhere in the city. Outlying areas of Astoria and Long Island City offer local entertainment and dining options as well. Note limited parking in a neighborhood hardly overflowing with acceptable, available spots. I would still stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear guest,

It is our great displeasure that you did not enjoy your stay to the full extent. We take extreme concern to all of our reviews and manage our activities in order to improve our services and amenities. We hope that you will consider staying with us again and have a more satisfactory stay.

Best regards,
Sleep Inn - LIC

Been to Sleep Inn - Long Island City? Share your experiences!