“Nice Quiet Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sleep Inn - Long Island City

You added Sleep Inn - Long Island City to your Saves list
Sleep Inn - Long Island City
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   38-71 13th Street, Long Island City, NY 11101 (Formerly Howard Johnson Inn, Long Island City)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Long Island City
Harrodsburg, Kentucky
“Nice Quiet Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

Very friendly staff, away from the hustle of the city. Subway was walking distance. Breakfast was good. I would recommend staying here vs staying in the city. Front desk was helpful and knowledgeable about local attractions.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Sleep I, Guest Relations Manager at Sleep Inn - Long Island City, responded to this review, April 12, 2014
Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time out to write a kind review. It is our pleasure that you have enjoyed our stay at our hotel, and found everything comfortable and convenient. We hope to provide the same great services to all our guest.

Come see us again!

Sleep Inn - LIC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

great for the price the room are good size just for sleep clean clean and ready every day and that is so pleasant when you walk all day bathroom with all towels enough shampoo conditioner soap really good breakfast with egg sausages bagels yogurt fruit milk coffee excellent location near subway good if you spend the nigh i recommended :)

Room Tip: to the bridge :)
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Sleep I, Guest Relations Manager at Sleep Inn - Long Island City, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Dear guest,

We are glad that you had such a pleasant stay and enjoyed all of our services and amenities. We hope that we continue providing our best of services to all our guests so they can enjoy their stay as much as you did.

Come visit us again!

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

Great employees, clean, fresh rooms, hot breakfast and a nice view of Manhattan at a good price. Located a quik walk from the F line subway. Elevators are a bit slow. Don't be afraid to take the stairs. Breakfast is good. I recommend the cheese danish and fresh fruit. Eat early as it can get crowded near the end of breakfast hours. We will happily stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and our services. We hope that you will come back again soon and that we may keep up with your great expectations.

Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

We had a nice clean spacious room on the 8th floor with city view, breakfast area was small but breakfast itself includes all you need. Our room was next to the vending machines and elevators so occasionally you could have some noise from the machines, but we didn't hear the elevators. No street noise. Very friendly and helpful staff. Subway only two blocks away (20 to 25 minutes to Manhattan). Just around the corner a small grocery store and local diner. Storage room available for luggage. With subway about 1hour to get to JFK airport. Neighborhood looks rather peculiar but save. We would certainly return to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Sleep I, Guest Relations Manager at Sleep Inn - Long Island City, responded to this review, April 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review. It is a pleasure that you had such a satisfactory stay. We hope that we continue to provide our best services for all our guests. Hope that you enjoyed your visit and will come back again to explore more of New York City.

Kernersville, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

I got a great deal on this property using priceline. $69/night. Minutes from Manhattan. Free breakfast included. Free wifi. How can you beat that? I checked out the reviews first and, overall, it looked like a decent place. So, I bit.

I was traveling with my 12 year old daughter and 16 year old son, so when I checked in, I asked the desk staff if the neighborhood was safe. They assured me it was, adding that they often work late shifts and walk home or to the subway from the hotel without any problems. I took their word for it, which, in hindsight, was a mistake.

On our last night there, we were in the midst of the 5 minute walk back to the hotel from the subway at around 10 PM. An unmarked police car hit his siren and pulled over to the sidewalk where we were walking. He was very polite and asked if we were from the area. I said no, and that we were walking back to our hotel. He asked if we were familiar with the area. Again, I said no. He hesitated and then said, "Well, just be careful. OK?" Well, that pretty much freaked us out and we high-tailed it back to the hotel.

Once safely back in our room, I did a little more digging into the neighborhood (something I should have done first, I know). Turns out the large brick buildings across the street from the hotel, which I thought were apartments, are actually part of the nations largest housing project called Queensbridge. Now, I am in no way placing judgement on people who live in public housing, but I think even many Queensbridge residents would admit that the area is plagued with drug activity and crime. In fact, just a few days before our stay there was a shooting there. I also found out that the area has been referenced in several rap songs written by the rappers who came from that neighborhood.

It's a shame, because I really liked the hotel itself. The rooms were super clean and updated. The breakfast was a nice touch and certainly added to the value of the room. But, you just can't place a price tag on safety, which is why I would never choose to stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

It is our grave disappointment that you did not enjoy your stay as comfortably as we hoped. We understand your hesitation on the location of our hotel and we hope that as the area develops it will help guests be more comfortable. We are glad that you had a chance to visit us and hope that in better circumstances we will see you again.

Downpatrick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Dear Adviser
just to let you know Im from Belfast Ireland we stayed in this hotel and have read some of your reviews and can I say that alot of the persons staying at this hotel and running the hotel and staff down are absolute rubbish and should be ashamed to do so>
On arrival we were greeted by the lovely front desk staff you could not a very helpful and yes best staffing levels questions were answered and the room service was amazing.
If you need a very good value for money hotel please pick this one as the view of manhatton is one to beat and your only 20 minutes by subway train the F train is 5 to 6 minute on 21st street a map is provided at the front desk if you ask and they are great to explain .
If you like food thats easy excess I recommend the local chinese food its lovely and there is a spicy food bar the corner also very nice food and fresh and hot.
A subway food chain is only 3 minutes walk to round the corner if you like something fresh also.
A taxi to Penn station is only 25 dollars a weekly subway train ticket is 30 dollars and allows you to ride on the nyc subway for a full wek and all the Q Bus services.
Ok if you like clothes why not take abus ride to marshalls on the Q69 bus and theres is a good store there Nothern BLV.
OK if you like to try the subway the why not go to the city and take the tube to central park and see John lennons strawberry fields also 34 th street maceys and see the shrine of the owners which lost there lives in the titanic.
what great trip to new york go to woodbury common and see one of the biggest outlets for disigner label clothes again please dont go by this hotel as its cheaper and better than some of your top priced hotels in NYC I hope my review makes you stay here remember im irish and yes I can say its one of the best priced valur places to stay enjoy your stay in Newyork in the 8 days of our stay the breakfast was the best the cleaning staff were great the night staff.
I forgot to say also good wifi and great plasma tv also and good beds to sleep in..

Room Tip: Ok please ask for room over looking the queens bride and on the 5th floor or above its amazing view...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Sleep I, Guest Relations Manager at Sleep Inn - Long Island City, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear Guest,

We highly appreciate your impeccable review, it was our extreme pleasure to serve you to your full satisfaction. We hope that future guests find your review to be helpful and choose to visit your suggestions for places to shop and eat. Our hotel mission is to provide each of our guests our best services and amenities so that all of our guests can enjoy their visit as you have.

Hope that you will come visit us again, and we aim to make your next visit even more enjoyable.

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

I spend two nights at the Sleep Inn and I will certaintly go back again. The room was perfect, restroom as well. I got everything that I needed for my weekend.
The view on the 9th floor was wonderfull, I ever slept with the curtains open the enjoy the view and the sound of Manhattan during the night.
The employees was really kind and answered well to our questions and needs. The room was cleaned everyday.
The area wasn't the best that I have seen but we are seeing that the neighborhood is changing for the best. Another hotel was under construction just next us.
Access at the F subway line is wonderfull and easy. You can enjoy the day by visiting Manhattan using the subway and that is what I did.
I hope that service and price will stay at that level for a while and I will certainly go back again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

We are glad that you enjoyed your weekend and were pleased with our accommodations. We understand your hesitancy towards the location of the hotel, but as you have mentioned it is a safe and secure environment which is being updated as we speak. Hope that your review helps future guests to choose our hotel for the same comfort and convenience that you have enjoyed.

We hope to see you again soon!

Sleep Inn - LIC

Been to Sleep Inn - Long Island City? Share your experiences!