“Great experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sleep Inn - Long Island City

Save Saved
You added Sleep Inn - Long Island City to your Saves list
Sleep Inn - Long Island City
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   38-71 13th Street, Long Island City, NY 11101 (Formerly Howard Johnson Inn, Long Island City)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #8 of 23 hotels in Long Island City

317 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Korean first
Frederiksberg, null, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is located in a unattractive area with the Subway driving over the Ground. However, Central Manhattan is only about 10-15 minutes away by metro, and the metro station is under a 2 minute walk away! That's good! But again, there's nothing to see around the hotel, only ugly train tracks.

The hotel itself is quite new, and rooms very nice and clean. Nothing major, just ok, and what you need.

The breakfast was also OK, we didn't really need anything , but again, nothing extraordinary. There was oatmeal and a bit fresh fruit, which was nice. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

The hotel is a good alternative to a Central Manhattan hotel, as it is located just acros he Hudson River, and thereby close to Times Square and attractions. But we wouldn't stay again unless it was much cheaper than something on Manhattan . We got a good deal, so therefore we can recommend the hotel.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

We stayed at this hotel 9 nights recently, and we were very disappointed with the hotel.

To be fair, this is a cheap hotel. I actually work for a hotel myself, and nothing is more annoying than super demanding guests who pays very low off-season rates. Since we chose staying this hotel for 9 nights rather than a hotel in Manhattan for 4 or 5 nights, our game plan was as long as we have clean bed to sleep on and hot water for shower, not to let small stains on the wall or service of the hotel clerks bother us. So we were ready not to care small things. Unfortunately a sequence of incidents we had at the hotel was not small and way over our patience limits.

We checked in very early –it was 7:30am- after taking an overnight flight from Seattle. After we got into the room, I scanned the room quickly. There were some stains on the bathroom wall, the slider lock on the door was broken, and meanwhile, my wife saw an insect between the blanket and mattress. We should have told the front desk that time, but 1), as I mentioned we decided not to be annoying guests point out every little thing, 2), my wife didn’t know that was actually a bed bug, and 3), we were thankful the room was ready for the very early check-in after the long overnight flight, so we didn’t make a complaint.

When our stay was into a few nights, my wife noticed she got some bug bites on her skin. We didn’t really think much about it that time, but the next day, she got more bites and we actually found a bed bug.

I decided that I wouldn’t complain small things, but getting bitten by bed bugs was not a small thing! So I went down to the front desk, showed the bug’s picture, and explained the clerk what happened. I was waiting for offers of apology, changing the room, and cleaning for our clothes at least –and maybe some room rates refund- , but it didn’t happen. It didn’t happen at least until we requested those things. The clerk, without apology, assigned us a new room as we requested and promised they would take care of cleaning of our clothes.

About 5 minutes after we moved to the new room, a manager called and asked me to go back to the original room. The manager (Joniel) didn’t even introduce himself, abruptly started talking. His exact words were, “We destroyed this room completely but we couldn’t find a bug. The bed-bug you found must have come with you.” I expected some apologies from the manager… didn’t expect he would blame us. First of all, they didn’t “destroy” the room; they just flip the mattress and decided to blame us. How about all the other furniture? How about other rooms? I understand bed-bug problem is a part of the hotel business with my experience. But one thing they never do (at least the hotel I work for never does) is blaming guests for bringing bugs into the building unless there is an obvious proof.

Second of all, when the hotel I work for inspects bed-bugs, it takes from a few hours to a day, because we inspect all the furniture in the room plus the next doors’. Joniel just saw the room for 5 minutes and made the conclusion. He told us that we must have brought the bugs from our previous hotel, but this hotel was the first hotel we stayed at in this trip, and of course, we do not have bed-bugs in our home. I pointed out that my wife saw the bug right after we checked in, but he said “it doesn’t matter because I don’t see a bug right now”. And he blamed us not to bring up the issue the first day (yes, I admit that was partially our fault that we didn’t tell them right away, but we just tried to be nice guests for them). He gradually became aggressive verbally and non-verbally. At one point, he had his one hand in his pocket, another one with pointing the finger at me while he was talking. I expressed my discomfort with his tone and finger-pointing, he upset more and said, “Yes, I’m pointing my finger at you, and telling you this bug is not from our hotel. You guys brought it from somewhere. We are not responsible for cleaning your clothes.” I couldn’t believe what just happened before my eyes. I couldn’t believe those were the words from someone in charge. I didn’t want to waste my time with him anymore, so I stopped arguing. (Later my wife erupted when I told her the story, went down, yelled at him and made him offer the cleaning, but they didn’t refund any of our stay)

As a hotel employee, I understand that they can’t believe all the things the guests tell them and can’t offer whatever the guests demand. But bed-bug issue is different level. When it happens, what our hotel (and most of hotels) does is putting all the energy and attention for the guests not to spread the negative words to outside, like I’m doing now. If Joniel’s attitude was sincere and apologetic, I could have had sympathy as a fellow hotel-employee and wouldn’t have written this review.

One thing I noticed with other reviews on this hotel is when no troubles happen, you could actually enjoy the stay. Good access to Manhattan, neighbor is not pretty but not dangerous, the staff is OK friendly with regular transactions, and it’s cheap. However, it’s a different story when troubles occur. They (especially the manager) try to cover their fault and not to take any responsibility, even worse, they call you a liar or blame you causing the problem in the process. A manager should be the one who discipline employees, but in this property, he covers the staff’s mistake and takes it onto the guests (this is actually from other reviewers’ experience, but connected to our situation).

You can take a chance, but I don’t think it’s worth it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Sleep I, Guest Relations Manager at Sleep Inn - Long Island City, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Good Afternoon,

As a part of our hotel management we strive to provide exceptional service outside the amenities of our rooms. We are aware of the unacceptable conditions and service provided during your stay, and we would like to offer our most sincere apologies from the entire management.

To make sure that our hotel does not repeat this event we have been taking proper precautions and making sure our entire staff is aware of procedures if the situation were to reoccur.

We hope that you may give us another chance to redeem ourselves and provide you with exceptional service. If you reconsider staying with us please let our staff know beforehand so that we may suite you with our best possible accommodations.

Sleep Inn - LIC

Been to Sleep Inn - Long Island City? Share your experiences!