“Bed-bug, rude manager” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sleep Inn - Long Island City

Save Saved
You added Sleep Inn - Long Island City to your Saves list
Sleep Inn - Long Island City
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   38-71 13th Street, Long Island City, NY 11101 (Formerly Howard Johnson Inn, Long Island City)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Long Island City
Vancouver, Canada
“Bed-bug, rude manager”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

We stayed at this hotel 9 nights recently, and we were very disappointed with the hotel.

To be fair, this is a cheap hotel. I actually work for a hotel myself, and nothing is more annoying than super demanding guests who pays very low off-season rates. Since we chose staying this hotel for 9 nights rather than a hotel in Manhattan for 4 or 5 nights, our game plan was as long as we have clean bed to sleep on and hot water for shower, not to let small stains on the wall or service of the hotel clerks bother us. So we were ready not to care small things. Unfortunately a sequence of incidents we had at the hotel was not small and way over our patience limits.

We checked in very early –it was 7:30am- after taking an overnight flight from Seattle. After we got into the room, I scanned the room quickly. There were some stains on the bathroom wall, the slider lock on the door was broken, and meanwhile, my wife saw an insect between the blanket and mattress. We should have told the front desk that time, but 1), as I mentioned we decided not to be annoying guests point out every little thing, 2), my wife didn’t know that was actually a bed bug, and 3), we were thankful the room was ready for the very early check-in after the long overnight flight, so we didn’t make a complaint.

When our stay was into a few nights, my wife noticed she got some bug bites on her skin. We didn’t really think much about it that time, but the next day, she got more bites and we actually found a bed bug.

I decided that I wouldn’t complain small things, but getting bitten by bed bugs was not a small thing! So I went down to the front desk, showed the bug’s picture, and explained the clerk what happened. I was waiting for offers of apology, changing the room, and cleaning for our clothes at least –and maybe some room rates refund- , but it didn’t happen. It didn’t happen at least until we requested those things. The clerk, without apology, assigned us a new room as we requested and promised they would take care of cleaning of our clothes.

About 5 minutes after we moved to the new room, a manager called and asked me to go back to the original room. The manager (Joniel) didn’t even introduce himself, abruptly started talking. His exact words were, “We destroyed this room completely but we couldn’t find a bug. The bed-bug you found must have come with you.” I expected some apologies from the manager… didn’t expect he would blame us. First of all, they didn’t “destroy” the room; they just flip the mattress and decided to blame us. How about all the other furniture? How about other rooms? I understand bed-bug problem is a part of the hotel business with my experience. But one thing they never do (at least the hotel I work for never does) is blaming guests for bringing bugs into the building unless there is an obvious proof.

Second of all, when the hotel I work for inspects bed-bugs, it takes from a few hours to a day, because we inspect all the furniture in the room plus the next doors’. Joniel just saw the room for 5 minutes and made the conclusion. He told us that we must have brought the bugs from our previous hotel, but this hotel was the first hotel we stayed at in this trip, and of course, we do not have bed-bugs in our home. I pointed out that my wife saw the bug right after we checked in, but he said “it doesn’t matter because I don’t see a bug right now”. And he blamed us not to bring up the issue the first day (yes, I admit that was partially our fault that we didn’t tell them right away, but we just tried to be nice guests for them). He gradually became aggressive verbally and non-verbally. At one point, he had his one hand in his pocket, another one with pointing the finger at me while he was talking. I expressed my discomfort with his tone and finger-pointing, he upset more and said, “Yes, I’m pointing my finger at you, and telling you this bug is not from our hotel. You guys brought it from somewhere. We are not responsible for cleaning your clothes.” I couldn’t believe what just happened before my eyes. I couldn’t believe those were the words from someone in charge. I didn’t want to waste my time with him anymore, so I stopped arguing. (Later my wife erupted when I told her the story, went down, yelled at him and made him offer the cleaning, but they didn’t refund any of our stay)

As a hotel employee, I understand that they can’t believe all the things the guests tell them and can’t offer whatever the guests demand. But bed-bug issue is different level. When it happens, what our hotel (and most of hotels) does is putting all the energy and attention for the guests not to spread the negative words to outside, like I’m doing now. If Joniel’s attitude was sincere and apologetic, I could have had sympathy as a fellow hotel-employee and wouldn’t have written this review.

One thing I noticed with other reviews on this hotel is when no troubles happen, you could actually enjoy the stay. Good access to Manhattan, neighbor is not pretty but not dangerous, the staff is OK friendly with regular transactions, and it’s cheap. However, it’s a different story when troubles occur. They (especially the manager) try to cover their fault and not to take any responsibility, even worse, they call you a liar or blame you causing the problem in the process. A manager should be the one who discipline employees, but in this property, he covers the staff’s mistake and takes it onto the guests (this is actually from other reviewers’ experience, but connected to our situation).

You can take a chance, but I don’t think it’s worth it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Sleep I, Guest Relations Manager at Sleep Inn - Long Island City, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Good Afternoon,

As a part of our hotel management we strive to provide exceptional service outside the amenities of our rooms. We are aware of the unacceptable conditions and service provided during your stay, and we would like to offer our most sincere apologies from the entire management.

To make sure that our hotel does not repeat this event we have been taking proper precautions and making sure our entire staff is aware of procedures if the situation were to reoccur.

We hope that you may give us another chance to redeem ourselves and provide you with exceptional service. If you reconsider staying with us please let our staff know beforehand so that we may suite you with our best possible accommodations.

Sleep Inn - LIC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Korean first
Enfield, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

On Dec 20 2013 I stayed at the Comfort Inn Central Park West in NYC for a medical consultation at the Hospital for Special Surgery. I wrote a review about that experience. On Jan 3 2014 I was scheduled for surgery and needed acommodations for family members during my hospital stay. I was thrilled to find that this hotel had easily twice the room at half the price. Free continental breakfast, on-site parking, helpful and courteous staff and took less time in traffic to reach my destination. I would stay here again without any hesitation. The neighborhood looks a little sketchy for non-urban types but we encountered no problems.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

It's very conveniently located to the F train (21st Street--Queensbridge) so getting into Manhattan was easy.
The breakfast area is not really big enough and the selection is limited they had scrambled eggs and sausage (which was cold and dry), pastries, donuts and toast. Juice or tea/coffee and yogurts.
Front desk gave me excellent directions (with map) to all the tourist spots and were helpful with cab pricing and ordering.
I was very happy with the size of the room (king bed guest room) and bathroom considering the shoebox you usually get in NY. But the heater was noisy. I was on the 9th floor and next to the stairwell and someone kept banging the door open and closed.
Apparently there's an area called Astoria close by which is great for eating out and drinking but I didn't manage to get there, despite the recommendation from a boro cabbie driver!
All in all a great find for value and access to Manhattan and I would recommend.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Des Moines, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

As you can tell by most of my reviews on Trip Advisor, I give credit where credit is due. The Sleep Inn at long Island City was the worst hotel stay my well traveled family has experienced. We arrived to a hotel a little before check in and were nicely accomodated. The place seemed nice but was in a less than savory area but we felt safe walking to the subway. My parents stayed in the room across from my sister and I. At 5am, someone with a key came into our room while we were alseep, looked around and then left. After I realized what had happened. I got up and looked out to see who it was and heard the elevator close. I thought it was my parents, after all, I gave them a key to get in. after I phoned my parents and woke them up, I realized it wasnt them. I quickly called the front desk and they said it was the maintenance guy and was going to do maintenance as the room showed vacant. It freaked us out. That wasnt it. At 8am, it happened again. only this time, my sister had just got out of the shower and had nothing but her towel on. The man walked in, looked at her and left. when I addressed the front desk of this, they denied it happening again. They didnt believe us and requested that my sister come down to do a "line up" of hotel personnel to spot who walked in. After she did infact point out the maintenance man, he said that he only came in once. Again, they thought we were lying. We asked the hotel manager to review the security camera that was on our floor. he left to review the film with the maintenance man. When the front desk clerk phoned the manager to come back, I heard her say to him over the phone quietly "well, we need to get those cameras fixed". The manager stated that he did see the employee go into the room but only once. at 5am. They only refunded the one room and basically called us liars while invading our privacy twice. If you stay at this hotel, please use the slider lock on the door. What horrible service and experience we had at this hotel during such a fun time to be in NYC. I leave you with this question. What if my sister was by herself? Better off staying somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
To our courteous guest,

We were made aware of the inadmissible experience you had at our property and we would like to offer our most sincere apologies from our entire management. Since the event we have been taking proper precautions to make sure that the event does not reoccur in any occasion,

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for one night pre-cruise in December. We did take the subway there, which we won't do again unless we have located the elevators in advance since we had luggage. But it was easy to get there on the train from Herald Square.

We were very happy with the hotel at first. Check in was a breeze and the attendant was pleasant. We also checked in after midnight. We were asked for our ID, but that's not a big deal to us. The room wasn't huge, but it was all we needed for the two of us. No way there could have been a third person in the room. The breakfast wasn't the best that we've had, but they had a nice selection. The only things lacking was breakfast meat and a waffle iron. But they had eggs, pastries, cereal, milk, juices, and yogurt. The toaster oven was appreciated, although we wished they had a bagel slicer. They also had butter, jelly, and cream cheese. They have an overflow area for breakfast by the vending machines.

Now on to the one issue we had and the reason for the title of this review, we had no hot water. The temperature was luke warm at best. We have stayed in Red Roof Inns and Motel 6's before and NEVER had this issue. We didn't call the front desk because we didn't have time. We had already called for a cab to take us to the cruise port. Did we shower during a peak time, probably, but that's no excuse. All we want in a hotel is a clean room with working thermostat, if we need to use it, and hot water for a shower. The breakfast was a bonus. It could have been donuts and we would have been happy because our other needs would have been met.

We won't stay here again if we have a choice because of this. Can't take the chance again.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Good Afternoon,

We would like to apologize for our hotel accommodations not meeting our best possible standards. As a part of our hotel presentation we strive to make all amenities and service to exceed your expectations. To make sure that our hotel does not repeat this event we have been taking proper maintenance servicing and insuring that our staff will know how to proceed if the situation were to present itself again.

Rolla, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

I frequently stay in Queens to try to keep hotel costs down. I stayed in this property last week for the first time and I was very pleased. It's very conveniently located to the F train (21st Street--Queensbridge) but isn't subject to noise from the elevated trains like the properties closer to Queens Plaza/Queensboro Plaza. I got a very good Advance Purchase rate, with trouble-free check-in and check-out. The breakfast area is not really big enough, but the selection is fairly good (including scrambled eggs and sausage, though I don't think there was a waffle maker).

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

Very nice hotel, with very helpfull staff. Room and bathroom were good and clean. Only breakfast could be better. Not much choice. I was missing the bacon, and other meatproducts. Very close to subway.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Been to Sleep Inn - Long Island City? Share your experiences!