“No Hot Water” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sleep Inn - Long Island City

Save Saved
You added Sleep Inn - Long Island City to your Saves list
Sleep Inn - Long Island City
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   38-71 13th Street, Long Island City, NY 11101 (Formerly Howard Johnson Inn, Long Island City)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #8 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“No Hot Water”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for one night pre-cruise in December. We did take the subway there, which we won't do again unless we have located the elevators in advance since we had luggage. But it was easy to get there on the train from Herald Square.

We were very happy with the hotel at first. Check in was a breeze and the attendant was pleasant. We also checked in after midnight. We were asked for our ID, but that's not a big deal to us. The room wasn't huge, but it was all we needed for the two of us. No way there could have been a third person in the room. The breakfast wasn't the best that we've had, but they had a nice selection. The only things lacking was breakfast meat and a waffle iron. But they had eggs, pastries, cereal, milk, juices, and yogurt. The toaster oven was appreciated, although we wished they had a bagel slicer. They also had butter, jelly, and cream cheese. They have an overflow area for breakfast by the vending machines.

Now on to the one issue we had and the reason for the title of this review, we had no hot water. The temperature was luke warm at best. We have stayed in Red Roof Inns and Motel 6's before and NEVER had this issue. We didn't call the front desk because we didn't have time. We had already called for a cab to take us to the cruise port. Did we shower during a peak time, probably, but that's no excuse. All we want in a hotel is a clean room with working thermostat, if we need to use it, and hot water for a shower. The breakfast was a bonus. It could have been donuts and we would have been happy because our other needs would have been met.

We won't stay here again if we have a choice because of this. Can't take the chance again.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Sleep I, Guest Relations Manager at Sleep Inn - Long Island City, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Good Afternoon,

We would like to apologize for our hotel accommodations not meeting our best possible standards. As a part of our hotel presentation we strive to make all amenities and service to exceed your expectations. To make sure that our hotel does not repeat this event we have been taking proper maintenance servicing and insuring that our staff will know how to proceed if the situation were to present itself again.

We hope that you may give us another chance to redeem ourselves and provide you with exceptional service. If you reconsider staying with us please let our staff know beforehand so that we may suite you with our best possible accommodations.

Sleep Inn - LIC

328 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Korean first
Rolla, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

I frequently stay in Queens to try to keep hotel costs down. I stayed in this property last week for the first time and I was very pleased. It's very conveniently located to the F train (21st Street--Queensbridge) but isn't subject to noise from the elevated trains like the properties closer to Queens Plaza/Queensboro Plaza. I got a very good Advance Purchase rate, with trouble-free check-in and check-out. The breakfast area is not really big enough, but the selection is fairly good (including scrambled eggs and sausage, though I don't think there was a waffle maker).

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

Very nice hotel, with very helpfull staff. Room and bathroom were good and clean. Only breakfast could be better. Not much choice. I was missing the bacon, and other meatproducts. Very close to subway.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

I chose to stay here for a quick visit to Manhattan and this was going to be my first time visiting without actually staying in Manhattan so I was nervous. The reviews on a few websites were favorable and the price was too good to pass up so I decided to go for it. I'm so glad I did!! From the moment I got to the hotel the service was pleasant and efficient. There was a very nice young man working the front desk and I am so sorry I don't have his name, but he was extremely helpful. The weather was awful (snow, ice on the ground. etc) and street parking was full as was the parking lot since I had gotten in quite late. He let me park in a spot overnight directly at the hotel door! They quickly processed my check-in without charging ridiculous fees for incidentals (a FIRST) and he gave me excellent directions (with map) on how to take the nearby train to Rockefeller. BTW the train station was a 1 minute walk, even in crappy weather, and a 5 minute ride...let me off right at the Christmas tree :)

I was very happy with the size of the room (king bed guest room) and bathroom considering the shoebox you usually get in NY. It was very modern and clean. My only complaint was that the HVAC unit was very loud and barely got warm. The bed was super comfortable...so comfortable in fact that I blew off an early breakfast meeting to stay snuggled under the covers watching TV. Breakfast was offered but I did not go so no review on it. The woman that helped me at check out was just as friendly and helpful as the guy that checked me in, also letting me leave my car in front of the hotel since we were in the midst of a snowfall and I was taking the train to the the Manhattan. I would definitely recommend this hotel and I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

We throughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The rooms are spacious and it's worth paying a little extra to have the Manhattan view. Breakfast is nice. We had a problem with our air conditioning and it was sorted within minutes. Every member of staff was very efficient, helpful and polite. It's a two minute walk from the subway station, a few stops away from the city. Excellent, frequent service. There's a 7/11 shop near the hotel and also a hairdresser/barber shop. The hotel is located in the middle of a council estate, but it's absolutely safe. I would stay at this hotel again!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
To our courteous guest,

As a part of our hotel management we strive to provide exceptional service outside the amenities of our rooms. We would like to thank you for your pleasant review, and hope that you may give us another chance to provide you with exceptional service.

If you consider staying with us please let our staff know beforehand so that we may suite you with our best possible accommodations.

Sleep Inn - LIC
consett
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

recently went for 4 nights to see the Christmas decorations, Rockafella Christmas tree, and shopping!!. Chose this hotel after reading numerous reviews and was not disappointed. The hotel is value for money with a free breakfast which was enough to start off a day of walking round New Yorks attractions from 9am untill 10pm at night. The rooms are spacious and clean with a good powershower The hotel is ideally situated with a supermarket on the corner and a subway a blocks away on the F line on 21st Queensbridge. The subway is very easy to use and convienient for trips back and forth. A ticket for 1 week cost $30 which is value for money especially as we went to coney island to see the wonder wheel. The staff are friendly and helpful and even booked our return transport to the airport. Would highly recommend this hotel and will be using it again in the future.

Room Tip: there are rooms with views of manhatten but these cost more. For the time spent in the room we didnt...