“Will definitely be back” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sleep Inn - Long Island City

Save Saved
You added Sleep Inn - Long Island City to your Saves list
Sleep Inn - Long Island City
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   38-71 13th Street, Long Island City, NY 11101 (Formerly Howard Johnson Inn, Long Island City)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #7 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
Rolla, Missouri
“Will definitely be back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

I frequently stay in Queens to try to keep hotel costs down. I stayed in this property last week for the first time and I was very pleased. It's very conveniently located to the F train (21st Street--Queensbridge) but isn't subject to noise from the elevated trains like the properties closer to Queens Plaza/Queensboro Plaza. I got a very good Advance Purchase rate, with trouble-free check-in and check-out. The breakfast area is not really big enough, but the selection is fairly good (including scrambled eggs and sausage, though I don't think there was a waffle maker).

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

307 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Korean first
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

Very nice hotel, with very helpfull staff. Room and bathroom were good and clean. Only breakfast could be better. Not much choice. I was missing the bacon, and other meatproducts. Very close to subway.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

I chose to stay here for a quick visit to Manhattan and this was going to be my first time visiting without actually staying in Manhattan so I was nervous. The reviews on a few websites were favorable and the price was too good to pass up so I decided to go for it. I'm so glad I did!! From the moment I got to the hotel the service was pleasant and efficient. There was a very nice young man working the front desk and I am so sorry I don't have his name, but he was extremely helpful. The weather was awful (snow, ice on the ground. etc) and street parking was full as was the parking lot since I had gotten in quite late. He let me park in a spot overnight directly at the hotel door! They quickly processed my check-in without charging ridiculous fees for incidentals (a FIRST) and he gave me excellent directions (with map) on how to take the nearby train to Rockefeller. BTW the train station was a 1 minute walk, even in crappy weather, and a 5 minute ride...let me off right at the Christmas tree :)

I was very happy with the size of the room (king bed guest room) and bathroom considering the shoebox you usually get in NY. It was very modern and clean. My only complaint was that the HVAC unit was very loud and barely got warm. The bed was super comfortable...so comfortable in fact that I blew off an early breakfast meeting to stay snuggled under the covers watching TV. Breakfast was offered but I did not go so no review on it. The woman that helped me at check out was just as friendly and helpful as the guy that checked me in, also letting me leave my car in front of the hotel since we were in the midst of a snowfall and I was taking the train to the the Manhattan. I would definitely recommend this hotel and I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

We throughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The rooms are spacious and it's worth paying a little extra to have the Manhattan view. Breakfast is nice. We had a problem with our air conditioning and it was sorted within minutes. Every member of staff was very efficient, helpful and polite. It's a two minute walk from the subway station, a few stops away from the city. Excellent, frequent service. There's a 7/11 shop near the hotel and also a hairdresser/barber shop. The hotel is located in the middle of a council estate, but it's absolutely safe. I would stay at this hotel again!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Sleep I, Guest Relations Manager at Sleep Inn - Long Island City, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
To our courteous guest,

As a part of our hotel management we strive to provide exceptional service outside the amenities of our rooms. We would like to thank you for your pleasant review, and hope that you may give us another chance to provide you with exceptional service.

If you consider staying with us please let our staff know beforehand so that we may suite you with our best possible accommodations.

Sleep Inn - LIC
consett
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

recently went for 4 nights to see the Christmas decorations, Rockafella Christmas tree, and shopping!!. Chose this hotel after reading numerous reviews and was not disappointed. The hotel is value for money with a free breakfast which was enough to start off a day of walking round New Yorks attractions from 9am untill 10pm at night. The rooms are spacious and clean with a good powershower The hotel is ideally situated with a supermarket on the corner and a subway a blocks away on the F line on 21st Queensbridge. The subway is very easy to use and convienient for trips back and forth. A ticket for 1 week cost $30 which is value for money especially as we went to coney island to see the wonder wheel. The staff are friendly and helpful and even booked our return transport to the airport. Would highly recommend this hotel and will be using it again in the future.

Room Tip: there are rooms with views of manhatten but these cost more. For the time spent in the room we didnt...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Henderson, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

I've stayed here several times before when this hotel was a different franchise. But it still seems to be the same management. For visitors who know the area or are here on local or family matters, this might be a good budget choice. But for visitors looking for the pulse of New York experience, this might not be such a good location. The hotel is across the 59th street bridge from Manhattan but is easily accessible by the F subway line. However, tourist resources in the vicinity of this hotel are nil. Rooms are generally of moderate size but maintenance suffers because of the constant turnover of budget visitors. For example, when the lodgers above showered in the morning, water leaked down through my lighting fixture. And even with all the lights on, my room was still quite dim. My observation is that a good number of the guests are Europeans more comfortable with staying in out of the way neighborhoods and riding public transportation. They were down to the free breakfast early and snapped up the best food choices before I got there at 8 or so. My room had a fridge, iron, closet and drawer space but not enough hangers. The ice machine was in the breakfast area so I had to take the elevator or stairs each time I needed to re-fill the bucket. I will say that the Wi-Fi was free and worked O.K. This hotel seems best for those who just need a bed and some free breakfast treats and don't mind the public commute. If you bring a car, there is some parking on-site. Street parking is also available. If you choose to store your bags on the day you leave (or if you arrive too early to check in) there is a small fee.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Been to Sleep Inn - Long Island City? Share your experiences!