“Excellent Lodging for the Price!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sleep Inn - Long Island City

Save Saved
You added Sleep Inn - Long Island City to your Saves list
Sleep Inn - Long Island City
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   38-71 13th Street, Long Island City, NY 11101 (Formerly Howard Johnson Inn, Long Island City)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #8 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
Boston, Massachusetts
“Excellent Lodging for the Price!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband and I came to NYC on business with limited funds for lodging. The Sleep Inn's rates are very tough to beat considering location and amenities. I called a couple of days ahead to confirm the reservation and request a top floor room (as suggested in many reviews below.) Monika assisted me, was very friendly, professional, and thorough. I arrived ontime and a young man (didn't catch his name) checked me in. He smiled, answered all my questions, and welcomed me to the Inn. They placed us in a quiet room on the very top floor (the 10th) for no extra charge. Our A/C worked perfectly the entire stay. The room was clean, and appeared recently renovated. The bed was extremely comfortable, the bathroom immaculate, and so we enjoyed an excellent stay. We liked how close it was to the F-line train - as our work was in Jackson Heights and in Manhattan it made it easy commuting... only 4 blocks from the hotel! They permitted a slightly late checkout with no penalties, and at check-out Monika was again gracious, smiled and laughed, and was genuinely interested when she asked about our stay. The bill was wonderfully low (for NYC), and we were on our way.

The only negatives: walking back to the hotel from the subway at night is definitely sketchy. There is a police presence which helps, but use your streetsmarts and do not make eye contact with anyone. Also the breakfast situation is far from ideal - unless you are there at 6am it is a loud, hectic affair. I couldn't get a seat any morning I was down there, and all people speaking 50 languages loudly simultaneously is not a relaxing way to start the morning. So we skipped the hotel breakfast and went elsewhere, and all was well.

If you don't want to drop cash in over-priced Manhattan hotels but still want quick access to the center, I would highly recommend the Long Island City Sleep Inn. To have such clean, comfortable rooms with outstanding service at the desk is often a rare combination these days. My compliments to the manager! James M.

Room Tip: If you want a room with a view of Manhattan ask for a WEST-facing room above the 6th floor. The cor...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

328 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Korean first
Mexico City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

The building seems so new, and is good place to stay, also the breakfast, the room, the service, even the WiFi. The zone around looks not so safe, but in general it's so recommendable for all savvy travelers

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights. Friendly staff. Happy with the hotel facilities and breakfast. Location conveniently close to the subway with Manhattan only minutes away. Neighbourhood not much to offer. Good value for money.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for two nights with my mother since we were visiting Manhattan for the first time. The hotel staff and the front desk are really warm and friendly. They changed my room from a single King bed to a two double bed for no charge. Also they gave me a free parking right in front of the hotel door for free for two nights!! The rooms are clean and nice. The location is very good in terms of access to Manhattan. 10-15 mins ride to Times square. The neighborhood is not the best, but I did not feel unsafe at all. Definitely will recommend it to others. The only problem was the coffee maker in the room which was not working!! I did not have to time to try the breakfast, but I heard its just a simple typical american continental breakfast you get in most of the hotels.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Trinidad
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Book this hotel earlier in May 2013 at Booking.com. The reviews on that site were mostly excellent and guest generally appeared to be pleased with their overall stay. So did I , with some exceptions of course.
1/ When I initially booked I requested a view above the 5th floor with a city view . paid for a king room and expected what I requested. Several calls were made prior to my arrival and I re-confirmed the request on every call. I was told that this should not be a problem , but depends on availability , which is understandable. Upon my arrival , a room was assigned on the 9th floor at the back of the hotel, what a view !! The car park of Best Western Plaza . I called front desk immediately and was told that the city view cost $20 more per night, my stay being 10 nights. This was never mention to me in any of my previous calls. The hotel was practically empty so obviously , availability was not an issue , how misleading as I was also exploring other options.
2/ Location - Felt like I was in the projects . The neighborhood appeared to be unsafe , especially at nights with poor lighting to get from the subway to the hotel and vis versa.
3/ Breakfast was better than most , as I stayed in Ramadas and Corona Hotel last year. The only problem was the indian man who practically stand overlooking the breakfast area . You can feel his eyes on you , literally. A bit unconfortable for a paying guest , even though you are made to feel breakfast is complimentary . Don't be fooled people , it's included in your overall charges.
I must be critically balanced by saying the overall stay was good. Housekeeping was exceptional. Staff was generally friendly and helpful. Room was clean with adequate supplies , comfortable bed. TV had poor reception but who is going to the big apple to stay indoors and watch TV , did not matter to me. Had fun , regardless. Will recommend to group travellers , not solo unless you have pepper spray or a weapon to defend yourself , just kidding , maybe .

Room Tip: Rooms above 6th floor , facing roadside.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Sleep Inn - Long Island City? Share your experiences!