Book this hotel earlier in May 2013 at Booking.com. The reviews on that site were mostly excellent and guest generally appeared to be pleased with their overall stay. So did I , with some exceptions of course.
1/ When I initially booked I requested a view above the 5th floor with a city view . paid for a king room and expected what I requested. Several calls were made prior to my arrival and I re-confirmed the request on every call. I was told that this should not be a problem , but depends on availability , which is understandable. Upon my arrival , a room was assigned on the 9th floor at the back of the hotel, what a view !! The car park of Best Western Plaza . I called front desk immediately and was told that the city view cost $20 more per night, my stay being 10 nights. This was never mention to me in any of my previous calls. The hotel was practically empty so obviously , availability was not an issue , how misleading as I was also exploring other options.
2/ Location - Felt like I was in the projects . The neighborhood appeared to be unsafe , especially at nights with poor lighting to get from the subway to the hotel and vis versa.
3/ Breakfast was better than most , as I stayed in Ramadas and Corona Hotel last year. The only problem was the indian man who practically stand overlooking the breakfast area . You can feel his eyes on you , literally. A bit unconfortable for a paying guest , even though you are made to feel breakfast is complimentary . Don't be fooled people , it's included in your overall charges.
I must be critically balanced by saying the overall stay was good. Housekeeping was exceptional. Staff was generally friendly and helpful. Room was clean with adequate supplies , comfortable bed. TV had poor reception but who is going to the big apple to stay indoors and watch TV , did not matter to me. Had fun , regardless. Will recommend to group travellers , not solo unless you have pepper spray or a weapon to defend yourself , just kidding , maybe .
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Conveniently located 3 minutes from the F train on 21st-Queensbridge. Free continental breakfast, with dining space available at all times. Each room is equipped with High speed internet, Cable television, a working safe and coffee maker. 24 Hour gym is available on the ground floor. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Choice Hotels, Booking.com, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Orbitz, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Sleep Inn - Long Island City reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Howard Johnson Inn, Long Island City Hotel Long Island City
- Sleep Inn - Long Island City New York