“The Ugly Hidden Gem” 4 of 5 stars

1,000 bonus reward points
Ranked #13 of 26 Hotels in Long Island City
“The Ugly Hidden Gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I stayed here in April and loved it! The rooms were clean and comfortable, the staff was cheerful and REALLY helpful, and the breakfast was great. THE DONUTS ARE A MUST! Seriously. And the bagels. And the coffee. Ok..everything was good. The not so good was the area. Now, I'm not saying we were ever in danger. BUT if you're a person that just doesn't feel like getting to know the lower "class", then this isn't your place. It's off a main road, right next to some "projects". Though, no one bothered us. Another perk is that it is right around the corner from the subway. I'd stay here again if the price was right. Which, last time, it was. Thanks guys!

Room Tip: Try to get a window AWAY from the road and the elevators.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Staff very friendly and helpful. Interested in our feedback about the restaurant where we had dinner and took a card to use as another referral for guests. The bed was very comfy. The fan on the air conditioner and the fan in the bathroom did not have good speed controls. The room fan was always on high and the bathroom exhaust fan did not work well. The parking was an interesting experience. The first parking spot we were offered would have worked well but it was filled as were all of the spots on the level. We were directed to the alternative level which required making a very tight 45 degree turn to a narrow drive down a level to make another very tight 45 degree turn. Marks on the walls indicated not everyone made it. When we left the next day the couple ahead of us nearly got stuck at the first turn and I think may have needed some family therapy once they got out. We did o.k. but I don't think we'd use the parking service again. It is first come first serve and given the tightness of the quarters I'd stay only if we did not have a car. Great things to see nearby but best seen if walking or taking public transportation. Parking can be a challenge.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Besides the area that was a bit shady, the service of this hotel was sub-par. During our first night, we thought the faucet at the bathtub didn't work so we called the front desk to ask. She said there should be an instruction somewhere in the bathroom but there wasn't so she said she would send someone to my room and take a look. Then I called her again because I'd been waiting and nobody had come. She said someone already knocked the door and believed I wasn't in my room. But didn't I just call from my room to ask for the service? What an excuse

Then on the second day after a long day trip in Manhattan, we came back just to find that our room was left uncleaned. Basically the housekeeper didn't do anything. I called front desk and they asked if I had left the 'Do not disturb' sign at the door. There was only 'Please keep quiet' sign and I didn't even use it. The first thing they did to get out of the responsibility was to say that 'Oh, the housekeeper isn't here anymore so we can't do anything but we can bring you the toiletries and towels.' I mean that's it for a hotel like Best Western? Is that how we customers were supposed to be treated? then I negotiated and she said we can move to a hotel near by. If so, then what's the point of me staying here in the first place? It's not like they're gonna move me to Hilton or anything and I knew that the hotel nearby wasn't as good as BW and even farther from subway. Then she asked if we wanted to stay in their 1-King bed room which was supposed to be their emergency room. My original room was 2 Double beds but I thought there was nothing I could do at 8pm at night anyway so I said yes. Again, the person at the front desk (Stephanie) I believed was trying the best to protect the profit of the owner of the hotel so she said she would give me 10% off and the new room which was smaller. However, if I were to book that room in the first place it would be cheaper anyway and this wasn't the customer's fault that they came back to see the uncleaned room, so I said this wasn't a way you treated the customer. She even said if I were to go to another hotel right now the price would be $200++. Basically, she meant I had no where to go anyway and that's why she refused to service her customer. Then she said that she already lost the opportunity to sell the room for half a day so that's why I didn't deserve a better treatment. Again that's not even my fault and I guess the housekeeper should be fired and I knew it wasn't the front desk person's fault either but her attitude scared me.

This was a long review because I was surprised how my experience came out completely different from the reviews I had read. Perhaps, it's an accident that didn't normally happen but the person at the front desk should be trained better. She should be someone that didn't raised her voice and argue with the customer when her excuse didn't even make sense. I'm not sure if it's just this Best Western or all BW (probably not, because she said each BW is independently owned and operated so I shouldn't expect the same service I received at other BWs) that is like this one.

At the end, she said she would give us around $50 back into my card. I was too tired to argue anymore so I said yes. It's already been more than a week and I'm still waiting for the amount to be credited back because I just don't see it. I'm going to the bank and ask today to see.

Also, this hotel seemed to have a problem with their key cards, like they could get easily deactivated if you leave them near your phone or credit cards so be aware.

State College, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I enjoyed my stay at BW LIC very much! More than I thought I would due to the impression I got from some of the reviews I've read. I've realized that some of them are negatively exaggerated by people who aren't familiar with New York. At check-in, the receptionist was quick to notice my entrance and offered assistance. She was very confident in her answers with any questions I've had with the hotel and with the area. She also went out of her way to see if I can get a room at a higher level for a better city view (I didn't even ask for her to do this)! The short walk to the train station was extremely convenient. Street parking was also easy to find on the same block as the hotel. Breakfast was enjoyable. The breakfast area did get crowded quickly, but, then again, I went around 9:30am as it closes at 10am. I didn't stress it. In regards to the reviews I've read with people complaining about room service disturbing them-- All you have to do is take the Peace & Quiet sign provided and hang it on the outside of the door handle. Room service did start coming around knocking on doors very early in the morning. In regards to the reviews I've read with people complaining about the neighborhood this hotel is in-- This location is not a bad neighborhood. It's just like any other typical communities in Queens (I'm FROM Queens). Besides, anywhere in New York, the rule of "don't stand out" applies. It's kind of offensive for you to assume that you'll be harmed. Furthermore, if you need reassurance, there are cars everywhere driving around in this neighborhood ALL the time. Keep an open mind about your visit to New York- all aspects of it including your stay at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2015, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Hotel was clean very confer table Stephanie was amazing before I got there until I left she. Was so helpful and nice keep her on best western team amazing wonderful customer service New York is amazing see u next year

Stayed June 2015, traveled with family
Whittier, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Great views of Manhattan and very close to subways. Room very clean, comfortable and quiet. A plus was the free breakfast with a good variety and the staff kept it well dispensed. F train a block away.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Evansville, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Simple, clean, affordable hotel close to Manhattan. Less than 2 blocks from the subway and only 2 stops from Manhattan. Friendly staff, good breakfast, great location. Would definitely stay here again.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to BEST WESTERN Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!