“Middle of the Road” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Long Island City
Toronto, Canada
“Middle of the Road”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We did not choose this hotel - our friends from France's travel agent did so it is popular abroad as good value. We had a large, lovely room on the 10th floor with a great view of the bridge. Some of the rooms were smaller. The room was clean and fresh and even late at night there was hot water. I liked having a small fridge to store fruit and juice. They do have computers up from the lobby so we were able to print off our boarding passes. Staff was pleasant and called us a cab for the airport. We were at La Guardia and it cost $25.00 from the hotel to the airport. Seems they will store your luggage before or after checkout but in the front lobby in full view. We stored ours with our friends who stayed on another week.

I would have liked to have been closer to downtown Manhattan. A girlfriend of mine found a lovely boutique hotel near Central Park for 40% off and it came out about the same price - really expensive when you add in the hotel tax and state tax and all the other taxes ($200 per night). We used subways but did find it a long day as we did not return to our hotel to shower/rest or freshen up for dinner - then go out again. In general I find I like Best Westerns in Europe which are more individual and elegant than in US cities. We stayed in a gorgeous hotel (Best Western) inside Carcassone in France.

The convenience store next door was a blessing for bottled water, juice, fruit. As I am Gluten - Free the complimentary breakfast was useless for me - mostly buns and croissants and cereal and yogurt (with additives) and the only fruit on offer was a delicious apple that was a little soft. Most people complained that the eating area was small and crowded. My boyfriend would bring juice up for me after his breakfast with his friends who found it fine. Luckily there are lots of coffee places all over NYC - even the museums make great cappuccino and latte. We did stop by late at night on our way in and get hot water to make tea (yes it was boiling not tepid) so if you're a tea drinker bring your own tea bags and voila! We also made hot chocolate with their powdered chocolate so that was a bonus. There aren't restaurants in the area. One night we got off the subway at the wrong entrance and started walking through the 'projects' - a bit scary for me - so we turned around and walked briskly back to find our hotel. This was the only time I was frightened. I felt safe in the hotel per se.

I travel quite a bit and research thoroughly beforehand. I don't think I would have chosen this hotel but it was fine as the entire trip was fabulous with all the great art museums and fabulous theatre.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ringgold, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Hotel staff rude, breakfast awful, noisy, poor parking, not very clean. Hotel not in a good part of town. Most of hotel staff very rude...if you have a problem they speak to each other in their native language between one another. I would not stay here again if they were to give away a free flight and nights....buyer beware

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Smarties98
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Well my experience didn't really started on the right foot when I did thee booking. I was told that I was going to get a confirmation by email which I didn't received. However, arriving late my booking was confirmed when I checked in.

The room was a little small but for the time we spent in it was good. The room was cleaned daily and we weren't disturb at all until we left for the day. It wasn'n a 5 star but it was very convenient. We were a block away from the subway and the price was very good in comparison to others in downtown New York.

If I was to go back I would choose that hotel again but there is some improvement on their customer service and the food that they served for breakfast.

Room Tip: There is no swimming pool and no room service that we used.
Spokane, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Very pleased to find this gem. Regular sized rooms at 1/2 the price of staying in Manhattan, yet only three miles away! Though the noise from traffic made it impossible to open windows we found the fan to be perfect quiet white noise and we slept really well. Every one of the staff we met provided exceptional customer service! Would stay here again and would recommend.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Less than two blocks from a subway station for the F train, which is two stops from Manhattan, makes the location good. A couple of other subway stops are also within walking distance. The rooms are decent and quiet; they have good-sized safes. My only complaint is that the breakfast room is too small and the quality of the breakfast is not great.

Boisbriand, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We were at this hotel for three nights on Canadian Thanksgiving week-end (Columbus Day in the U.S.). Very friendly and helpfull staff, clean hotel and room. Very close to the F subway line which takes you straight to Manhattan. The breakfast is OK: most items are good and at the right temperature, but some lack freshness. Best to go early as the sitting area is small and crowds up quickly. The neighbourhood has only a few stores and restaurants withing walking distance, as it is mostly residential, auto shops and warehouses. It is fairly clean however and feels safe.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Been to BEST WESTERN Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!