“Pleasant Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Long Island City
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Pleasant Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We checked out yesterday following a 7 day stay. The staff were all quite friendly which unfortunately isn't typical of NYC. It's location is a huge plus, within walking distance to 2 subways. It's in an industrial/ commercial area, not a tourist's area in the least but we never felt unsafe. We opted to park on the streets and save on the $25/day hotel parking rate and we never had a problem with our car being bothered. Although we had a car we walked to various eateries, there's a park with splash pad 2 blocks away we enjoyed a couple times. Going to Manhattan took only mins via the Queensboro Bridge and Brooklyn the Pulaski Bridge. We had the king suite which has a sleeper sofa and the room was quite spacious. Our bed was so comfortable but oddly enough the pillows were small and weird. The rooms are modestly decorated and have been updated. Shower was great, good water pressure and a pulsating showerhead . The elevators are extremely slow and rather small. Didn't care for the breakfast too much, it was odd that they offered eggs but no meat of any kind and no waffles. It was like a carb-fest...bagels, pancakes, toast, muffins, oatmeal packets, donuts, etc and some days they were out of fresh fruit so after day 2 we passed on their 'breakfast' and went in search of protein. The gym equipment is in need of some major maintenance. I worked out everyday and found that every machine there except the recumbent bike was broken. I suggested to them they close the gym down until they make the necessary repairs. Also, for 3 out of 6 days our room was poorly cleaned, not vacuumed or swept, tub still had ring around it. Overall a nice stay, I'd come back again.

Room Tip: If you choose room on 1st or 2nd floor you can avoid the slow elevator all together.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Eynsham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed here for a two week plus business trip choosing it mainly for the Best Western brand. When I had to return a week or so after getting home, I had no hesitation choosing the same Hotel. Whilst the imediate area does not seem to be all that great, proximity to the subway more than makes up for the lack of stuff to do around the Hotel. Having said this, if you are prepared to walk 10-15 mins, there are great restaraunts and bars in reach without having to go into the city. The staff seemed more than happy to offer reccomendations and advice. I have read other reviews criticising the breakfast area. Granted it is too small on ocasion, but in the 5 weeks I stayed there I think there was only one time I gave up waiting and took breakfast back to my room (which I'm sure some people would prefer anyway). The rooms are big enough and the house keepers keep them clean and fresh. I was genuinly happy to be there for the extended period, and would reccomend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have a Manhattan view, which is worth trying to get hold of. The top floor rooms a...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Silkeborg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Good and clean rooms. Great location. Close to subway. No problem getting seated during the breakfast. A very fine breakfast buffet with juice, pancakes, toast, ciffre and fresh fruit. Kind staff......

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed in 2 different rooms over 3 days as the price decreased substantially from the time I originally booked. We ended up with a larger room (2 queens) on our third night for far less than our booking for 2 doubles on our first two nights. Elevators are exceedingly slow - stay on a lower floor and take the stairs. Breakfast area is far too small for the number of guests, so plan to eat early (before 8:30) in order to snag a table. No waffle maker at this location, but scrambled eggs, pancakes, cold cereals, yogurt and the usual breads. Staff were pleasant and helpful. The neighbourhood is not great - lots of commercial stuff around (big self-storage place across the street, auto repair shop next door, public housing project nearby but it is clean, neat, no graffiti, well maintained). We left our car parked on the street for 3 nights, no issues. Never felt unsafe, not even returning at night. 1.5 blocks from subway, 2 stops to Lexington/3rd, so the accessibility was terrific. Terrific choice for the money.

Room Tip: Stay on a lower floor and use the stairs!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Roseville, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

At first when I got to the area I was a little nervous as it looks a little rough however upon staying I found the area to be very safe there was even a police car stationed at the corner between the hotel and subway(the subway was about 2 blks away from the hotel) not to mention the security in the hotel. As far as the hotel the staff was very friendly and attentive always offered help and asked how my stay was... the breakfast was good they offered cereal, fruit, yogurt, muffins, bagels, croissants, toast, donuts, pancakes, scrambled eggs, coffee apple & orange juice, water, tea, orange drank (tang) no meat was offered.... However if you wanted meat or something totally different from what they offered there is a subway restaurant 2 doors down.... as well as a halal restaurant and corner store that also sold food. If you need something such as needle/thread there was a .99 cent store down the street on the opposite side many items were over 99 cent though hey they even sold dresses there, unfortunately they didn't sell contact lens solution :( I forgot mine at home so I had to go to times square to get some but of course I have no complaints about that :)... anywho back to the hotel... The room was smaller than what im use to (I don't think its just cause I was in NY because I have stayed at another hotel in Long Island and that one offered more room, etc) however it was clean, other than the stain that was on the curtain, the bed was comfy, they had a mini fridge, iron & board, blow dryer, coffee & pot, and a ice bucket. There was no microwave in the room but the microwave in the breakfast area was accessible at all times... They also have Ice, soda and snack machines located in different areas of the hotel such as floor 1r, 5 and 8. Long story short yes I do recommend this hotel as its also good on price especially if you are a AAA card holder. I bid on the hotel on priceline and received 30% discount but would have done better if I had used my aaa membership.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Budapest, Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Stayed here for business 1 block away from metro F. Perfect for city visit as well. Rooms clean, breakfast great... just can recommend.Stayed for a week, very close to Central park just 3 metro stops away.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to BEST WESTERN Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!