“Affordable for NYC” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
North Kansas City, Missouri
“Affordable for NYC”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

This was our first stay in NYC, and the hotel was great for the price. The continental breakfast was pretty basic (donuts, toast, bagels, cereal, apples/bananas, yogurt, and pancakes & scrambled eggs). The coffee was awful however. But it was nice to have breakfast included in the price of the room. The rooms were small, but adequate for the stay. The beds were comfortable though. I really liked that the subway was just 1 1/2 blocks away from the hotel, with easy access throughout new york and manhattan.

I did feel that the staff rushed the guests, especially at breakfast. I mean, breakfast was served from 6-10am, and at 9:45am, the staff were already putting things away and turning off the television in the dining room. And they wouldn't replenish many of the food items if they ran out after 9:15-9:30am. So if you expect breakfast, then you better get down to the dining room early or you won't have much of a selection to choose from.

The noise in the room was excessive however. The outside noise sounded as if the windows were open. It was always cold, and we had to have the heat set at 85 degrees to keep it comfortable.

On the day we were supposed to check out, the desk kept calling to our room to find out when we were leaving. Now, check out was at noon, and they were calling before 11am to ask. I again, felt that they were rushing us out. In our hurry to check out of the hotel, I did forget my camera charger in the room. I called the hotel directly within an hour of checking out, and the front desk personel brushed me off. I did not find that the staff were very accomodating to the guests at this particular property.

However, I did enjoy the trip to NYC, and for the price, I would probably pick this hotel again for convenience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

675 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Turkish first
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I wrote the review titled "Confirm , Confirm , Confirm etc " and let me just say I was pleasantly surprised when I started my actual stay at the hotel , it was excellent for the price . The staff was helpful and we were charged accurately but we did go through Expedia which I highly recommend when booking a hotel. The rooms are very nice , clean and comfortable . And don't let the bad reviews of the area being bad or scary influence you , they almost got to me when I read them on here and let me just say the area was just fine nobody ever bothered us and the people in the local stores were nice , we never once took a cab and arrived back to our hotel at 2 am in the morning many times never having a single problem , the negative reviews are just that negative and narrow minded in my opinion yes there is a housing project near by but more a less its just a massive apartment by the looks of it , I was never scared . People can get easily mislead because it isnt a modern or very developed area . The access to the train was the best part it was literally was a 3 to 5 minute walk . The hotel offered a continental breakfast which was pretty decent for being free , but you must wake up fairly early to get in on the good food eggs , pancakes and croissants and muffins ( at like 7am to 8 am ) or you are just stuck with bananas and juice, it also get pretty crowded but you can take your food to your room. Beware not to get the room on the first floor next to the gym and the breakfast room it is very loud in the early mornings , thats were we stayed but we just put up with it , but if you can avoid the entire 1st floor I suggest you do so. The staff was really helpful in assisting my boyfriend how to get places via train. The view wasn't the best but your in New York your there to be out and about . With all this being said I highly recommend this hotel its a great deal , clean, comfortable and very convenient , the location is prime ! I take back my scepticism and past review all the way , this hotel really came through for us . I hope it will do the same for you. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Stay off the first floor its loud
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Mississauga
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Visit in late January 2012 for one night after visiting friends in CT.

Checked in at around 7:30pm and we were ready to take subway and explore Manhattan by 8.
Subway is just minutes away. A silent neighborhood and first impression was a little on the scary side may be it's dark. Having said that it' so quiet that after walking on the street for a while we didn't feel as bad. A few convenience stores along 21st leading to the subway open til late for water and stuff are always the welcomed found.

Take the F line and you are just few stations from heart of Manhattan.

Room is relatively big consider it's in NYC. Modern deco and quite clean with a view of the Queensboro bridge and Manhattan in the back drop. Free continental breakfast is common but still a plus.

Staffs were helpful with direction, checking in and taking care of the luggage after checkout ( a buck per piece though)

In general it's a satisfactory stay with budget in mind - easy for subway ride and LaGuardia is also close with just a 15mins taxi ride.

You got what you pay for - and much more for this one

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Second stay for me in this hotel.

Welcome is formal but nothing more.
The first thing that you will notice is the poor management of the elevators, which are not set up correctly and might take a looong time to come, need to push several times the button.
The room was a king size suite, spacious but not well insulated (noise and heat). The windows are not completely sealed which means the street noise and the cold are present.
The room is partially cleaned (at least the visible parts). When you move the side bed furniture, you will find a huge quantity of dust and dirt. I even found an empty bottle under the sofa.
The fridge was small (only allows small bottles) and tends to freeze everything (not parametrable). it made some noises also during the night. Heater/air co was noisy too, impossible to sleep with it on. The shower was quite good.
The breakfast is quite good but the population that occupies the hotel does not really behave like other people (example : donuts in the toaster etc). You have a selection of bagels, croissants, breads, cream cheese and marmelades, some fruits and yogurts, a microwave and a toaster. Coffee machine and orange/apple juices. You could have some eggs and pancakes (if lucky).

The neighborhood is not very safe when it's dark. Even during the day, i would not walk around. The subway is one block away on line F, quite convenient in fact to join Queens or Manhattan.

There is a small mini market (full of alcoholic-addicted) near the hotel, there is also an indian fast food and a subway restaurant.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms finishing with 8 (708, 808 etc) since it's near the elevator.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Third time in NYC and for the first time very unsatisfied. It doesn't happen often to me that taxi driver gets scared when he gets the place where I stay. I have been staying at Manthattan so far, but this time the only option was Long Island (for the same price).

The location of the hotel is close to not a very nice area hence I got a warning to stay in my room at the evening and take taxi all the time.

The room itself is huge to NY standards, but unfortunately not clean (should only smell like it is :)) and renovated for the last time already few years ago. The other minor problem is that internet coverage is not the strongest so I'm literally sitting behind the door to get some signal.

The service was "ok". The guy at reception with shirt which hasn't been ironed has spent whole 2 minutes to check me in, but given the area I quite understand why there was nothing to tell me.

Next time please consider other option, I'm sure there are less doggie places around here...

Room Tip: different hotel :)
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed here one night for a business trip. Subway and El train are literally a few steps away. Check in very fast and easy. This is not a full service hotel so no bell hop. Room was very nice and clean. No type of view at all. Hotel has security guard. So if you want to travel at night there is someone keeping watch. Didn't take part in the breakfast but it was packed when I went passed in the lobby. Overall if you need a decent place to stay close to the subway this it!

• Stayed March 2013
Brooklyn, New York, Usa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

When I first arrived, the front desk service was superior. There were garbage that was found in the room. The room was clearly not cleaned properly. The lady that came to clean the room only put fresh towels down. She didn't clean the bathroom or take the trash out the room.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Been to BEST WESTERN Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!