“Convenient, friendly, cheap for NYC, will be back!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
1,000 bonus reward points
Ranked #13 of 26 Hotels in Long Island City
London
“Convenient, friendly, cheap for NYC, will be back!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

Myself and my bf stayed at the Best Western Plaza Hotel for 9 days in May/June and were really impressed with what we got. When we were looking at hotels in NYC to book, they were all so expensive to stay in Manhattan, so we thought we'd stay a little further out, but still really handy on the subway. We picked the BW Plaza because it was a great price, and still really convenient to get around the whole of NYC not just the Manhattan area. It was also really easy to get to the hotel from JFK airport, and much much cheaper than a taxi would have been!

We checked in very late, in fact we were told that we were the last reservation of the day to book in. We were given a room on the ground floor, that we were told was usually given to people who were only staying one night, but that they would move us to another room higher up the next day. Us being British were like, 'Oh no we'll be fine etc etc..', and then we got inside the room! It was located right next to the car park at the back, and also all the air conditioning units which were so noisy. We did have a very noisy first night, but as promised, we were moved into a lovely room much higher up, and much quieter, the next day. From the second day, we always had uninterrupted sleep, and found it to be a very quiet place, even though our room was on the the front facing the road.

The hotel staff were all so lovely and friendly, they answered all our questions and seemed genuinely pleased to help you which was nice. The desk was also manned 24hrs a day which was also handy.

We had breakfast included in the price we paid, and I have seen that other people have complained about the lack of space in the breakfast room, and that tables were dirty etc. Yes it is a small space, and yes it did get cramped sometimes, but really, for a budget hotel what do you expect? Also, it wasn't table service, you got your own food and cleared away after yourselves, so if there was rubbish left on tables, then it's not the hotel's fault, but the fault of the dirty so-and-so who was eating there before you and didn't put their rubbish in the bin!

Breakfast consisted of doughnuts/pastries (which my bf loved), white/brown bread for you to toast with either very sweet typical American jams, or cream cheese. There was also a selection of cereals and milk, juice and coffee. We found this to be perfect for us, just something to fill us up before we left for the day. Yes, it did get very busy on some mornings, but if there was nowhere to sit, we just took our food back to our room which was no hassle at all.

The rooms all have air con which was a bonus for us, NYC was going through a bit of a heat wave whilst we were there! There is also a fridge, a safe and a nice flat screen tv that showed a lot of HBO channels which was great to fall asleep to after a long day walking! The beds were massive and very comfortable too. There is also free wifi in all the rooms which was fantastic and meant that we could use our iphones to plan what and where we were going each day. There are also two computers just along from the breakfast room that are free to use, and also a printer which is also free. This was handy as we were able to check in online for our flight back and print our boarding passes.

Some people have said that the neighbourhood is a bit sketchy. It is a bit rough looking, but we never had any trouble whatsoever. It was a very diverse neighbourhood and one that we found fascinating. We often came back quite late at night, and always used the subway (which is literally 5 mins up the street) without incident, and never once had any trouble with anyone where we were staying. There is also a little 'corner shop' on the way to the subway which was very run down looking, but an essential stop off for water/drinks/snacks and fruit! The man serving inside was very funny - every day we went in and bought the same items, and every day he charged us a different amount (always very cheap though)!

If you walk a little bit further past the subway you'll see Silver Cup studios which is were they filmed the Sopranos, Sex and the City and various other famous US shows. Well worth a look and a photo op!

All in all we found this hotel to be very good value for money (especially with breakfast thrown in), had great transport links into Manhattan (took no time at all to get anywhere) and would definitely stay here again.

NYC tips: Go to Brooklyn Flea market which is held every Saturday - loads of vintage treasures, beautiful and funky handmade jewellery, art etc.. and fab street food!

If you stay at this hotel, take the subway one stop to Roosevelt Island, and take the cable across to Manhattan. It's included in the price of your subway ticket anyway, so you may as well!

If you go to Coney Island, don't go on the Cyclone rollercoaster. It is lethal and gives you an instant headache ALL day :)

Explore Williamsburg, Brooklyn and Prospect park, lovely chilled out places with great places to eat and drink. Also Chelsea food market is definitely worth a visit, the food was amazing, and the High Line in Chelsea too is a beautiful place for a walk in the sunshine.

We love NYC!

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

This was my 4th visit to New York. I was travelling with a friend on a budget and we wanted a room each for seven nights. Average room price in Manhatten was $350.00 aus per night which was way over her budget.

I chose Best Western as they are very relaible, well run and stand behind thier brand.

Having been to New York before gave me a basic understanding of the subways and the lay of the land. We were there to study Street and Urban Art and staying at Long Island City was perfect.

The Hotel is a $37.00 cab ride from JFK, a lot cheaper from La Guiduia and a 5 minute walk from the subway. Manhatten is 2 subway stops or $13.00 in a cab when traffic is ok. The Queensborough Bridge and park is a pleasent 5 minute walk.

The neighbourhood is old but has character and is very safe. Hey this is New York. If you want glitz and to be crushed by thousands of tourists, stay in Manhatten, pay a minimum $350.00 per night for a shoe box and be prepared to keep dipping into your wallet. You can get your laundry done at one of the many close by laundrys for only $7.00 ( for up to 7lbs) They wash, dry and fold. There is a pizza shop and grocery store next door to the hotel which also sell wine and beer very cheap.

The Best Western Plaza Hotel is a VERY well runHotel and our rooms were $105.00 aus per night including tax. We got free breakfast which was great value. Its free folks so don't expect a cooked breakfast. There was hot coffee, cold juice, fresh fruit, bagles and the breakfast room was big enough for the size of the hotel. ( get there around 8 am and there is plenty of space)

There is free wi-fi and there are two computers which are also free. The rooms are fantastic. The air con is the best i have ever had in any hotel of any standard. July was the hottest in New York for 30 years and it was great to get back to my room to a very cool sanctuary.

The TV is a monster size and the reception and choice of channels was fantastic.

The beds are Queen size and very comfortable.There is a good size bathroom with a good supply of free toiltries. There is a free coffee maker and free coffee supplied. Local phone calls are free and if you want a taxi , ask reception to call you a town car. These cars are private limos and are GREAT value. Astoria is a $10.00 ride and there are good family style resturants and neighbourhood bars to discover.

The Hotel has a tourist desk manned form 9 am daily. I got Broadway Tickets. You pay a little more then if you went all the way to Broadway but they offer great service and the tickets are delivered next day, saving time and the hassell of fighting crowds.

The subway access is great. We went to Brooklyn, Coney Island etc all from our hotel for under $27 for 7 days access. The front desk has subway maps and they explain how t to navigate the different lines. Its quite easy once you get the hang of it.

This is New York. Its just not all about Manhatten. Its Brooklyn, Queens, The Bronx and Harlem. Breath the air, taste the food, mix with the real people and i assure you you will enjoy New York so much more.

I am so glad i stayed at Best Western Plaza Hotel LIC and this is the only place i will stay when i visit New York every July. I stayd seven nights for under $800.00 , felt safe, well looked after and i had a lot more money in my pocket to see New York with.

Don't be put of that this hotel is in Long Island City. This is the real New York, with real people, real food and real good times.

Well done Best Western, this hotel is a credit to your chain.

Room Tip: Be happy, smile and ask nicley and you will be well looked after.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Bwplazalic33143, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2011
Hello Who1961,

Thank you for your outstanding review of your experience at our hotel! The review has made our entire team at the Best Western Plaza Hotel extremely elated! We are happy to know you were pleased with your stay with us and looking forward to your return!

Always thankful,
Best Western Plaza Hotel LIC Management
Williamsburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

This is a nice new hotel, with very reasonably priced rooms. The room I had gave a partial view of the Manhattan skyline. Those rooms are on the rear west corner of the building. The staff are very helpful. I did not get the breakfast, as the eating area was full every morning, as of is quite small. I was in NYC for business and nearly all the guests were tourists. The wireless internet did not work well, and I had to add several different access points manually. My room was not cleaned well one day and the in room tea and coffee was not replaced and the pot and mugs were not cleaned, but they replaced them after asking at the front dream a few times.

The area is not nice, and even though the metro is very close, to get to it, you have to walk by a housing development and a liqueur store where kids from the development hang outside. I would not recommend the walk for anyone of a nervous disposition or venerable people, especially late at night.

• Stayed July 2011
hampton roads
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

We got a terrific price on a last minute trip through booking.com (an offshoot of priceline.com). I stayed here with my teenage daughter for 6 days, and it was great to be near enough to the subway (a block and a half) to get to about anywhere in Manhattan, and to transfer to and from JFK with light luggage on foot (via subway and AirTrain). Staff was very friendly and helpful, and the room was VERY clean :) Free breakfast is so-so, but it's there, and the coffee machine makes great coffee by the cup, available all day. Do get to breakfast early, as the selection dwindles quickly. Only drawback...nothing major, just as you would in any metropolitan area, be careful walking home from the subway at night. I didn't feel intimidated by the neighborhood, but was approached nearly every evening by a young man asking for a handout. I made sure not to bring anything with me if I went outside to smoke. Nice to visit NYC without breaking the bank, but next time I'll budget enough to stay right in Manhattan so I can spend less time on the subway and more time seeing stuff.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Florianopolis, SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

This hotel is an excellent choice in NYC. There is a subway station just one block from the hotel, and you get to Manhattan in 10 minutes.

Neighborhood is not great but I didn't feel me scared even walking from subway to hotel late night.

A free breakfest (simple but good) and wifi internet are available. But if you are going by car and hope to get a garage space, forget it, there are only 10 spaces at the hotel and they are shared with another hotel.

The room is clean, bed is good... The hotel staff is friendly.

I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Dublin, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

My wife and I visited Manhattan on a 3 day trip in May. We wanted to live close to Manhattan. All hotels in Manhattan were so freaking expensive that we had to look elsewhere, either in New Jersey or in Long Island city.

Our criteria was 1. Easy access to subway with not more than 10 mins to Manhattan 2. Safe neighbourhood 3. Clean and comfortable stay 4.Free breakfast 5. Place to keep our luggage before and after checkout, while we went to explore Manhattan.

After looking at several hotels in the area, we finally settled on Best Western. The place satisfied all our requirements to the T. 5 mins walk to the nearest subway. Take the F train to Manhattan in under 10 mins. The stay was very comfortable. The free breakfast was excellent. The area did not look very safe at first glance, but I did venture out at night to buy water and the place was very busy and did not feel afraid at all.

I am so happy that I booked this hotel. There might be other hotels also which might be good or better. All I am saying is you will not be disappointed and the closeness to Manhattan is great. Don't look at staying in New Jersey, this is a far better option.

By the way, the free subway map they gave out at the concierge was the most useful map I could find among all the other maps I saw. So make sure you grab one of them.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

The room was quite nice and clean - the beds very good. The rooms towads the Manhattan side are very quiet for New York. It is far less expensive to stay here than in Manhattan even though the Subway ride takes only about 10/15 minutes to Rockefeller Center or 42nd street/6th Ave.
The breakfast is not interesting at all - but it was not important to me. There is only a tiny room and in case you don't get there very early, you have neither a seat nore food.
There is no dinner served in the hotel but there is a possibility to order different dishes from delies or pizzerias in case one doesnt want to go out. I did not use this service.
The neighborhood is not great but I never felt uncomfortable even though I did all my trips to the City by Subway. The next stop is only about 3 minutes away from the hotel.
I would not hesitate to book this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo