“Great Value and convienience for the money!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book a Business Package
Ranked #16 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
Albany, New York
“Great Value and convienience for the money!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

Our family of 5 stayed here for 3 nights in February. We have 3 sons aged 13, 11, and 6. We stayed in a Suite room. Pros for this room are as follows: inexpensive!!! ( our family of 5 stayed here for 3 nights for less than 1 would cost in most hotels) , clean, convieniently located to Manhattan ( the subway is right around the corner), safe ( we never felt unsafe walking the streets or on the subway), free breakfast( it was basic but saves a lot of money and they had Dunkin Doughnuts which the kids loved), quiet (maybe because it wasn't prime season but we had no problems with noise). Cons: the sofa bed was broken as others have said but the staff brought in a roll in cot to replace it and my son said it was comfortable enough, One of the 2 tv's was broken but the one in the main bedroom worked, not fancy (but this was family travel anyway), cramped. Unlike other reviewers we had no trouble with the staff. They were not rude just efficient. When we needed help they answered our questions and when we checked in the girl at the desk smiled and was helpfull. We never had a problem. They didn't fall all over us but again this is not luxury travel. I would recommend staying here. You can save money for all the wonderful and fun things to do in the city. Afterall, the room is just a place to sleep. The maid service was good too. You do pay for parking but the lot was right next door and not too expensive. The gas station next door had anything you could need and the ATM didn't even have an unreasonable fee. I got my coffee here each morning.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

812 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

I was stay there for a week with my son , first , the hotel had a very good situation , it was also new , with many equipment sutch as big flat screen , free wifi ice machine, a/c , and so on .
We had past a wonderful moment in that hotel and we will return soon :)

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Coventry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2011

I stayed here for 6 nights with my partner and friends for a sightseeing trip to new york.

The hotel and rooms are basic but clean, and for the price where better than I was expecting. I was just looking for somewhere to rest my head at night and not break the bank, on this basis the hotel was more than adequate. The room was a good size and the bathroom was clean and modern. The bed was large and comfortable, however the sofa bed was shockingly bad and I would not remommend that anyone attempt to sleep on this.

The staff where ok and did thier job, I wasn't expecting much more, after all it does not claim to be a 5 star hotel.

The hotel is just off the island of Manhatten and as such is much cheaper. I found the location suited us well, as was quiet at night and the subway station was only a 2 minute walk round the corner, with only 2 stops (5-10 mins max) to get in to the centre of Manhatten. For the money we saved, this was more than worth it.

The garage next door was really handy for picking up snacks, beer etc.

Overall, for the money, we had a good stay. I would stay again at this hotel just for the money it saves compared to staying in the heart of the city.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Green Valley, AZ 85622
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

Parking is limited, and difficult with all this snow! Rooms are spacious and clean. Bed is moderately comfortable, and free breakfast is just that; the usual. All of the above is great for the price of the rooms. HOWEVER, there is no excuse for "white" towels that are grey and dingey in color and have the smell of body odor. Made me want to run to the neighborhood department store to buy a NEW towel to use. YUCK. Internet is free, and VERY slow. Business travelers will NOT get any work done here.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

Great room with a large comfortable bed. The metro is less than 5 mins down the road making this hotel incredibly well placed. The metro is very cheap and saves you a fortune compared with staying in Manhattan.

Breakfast was basic but plentiful. The breakfast area is quite small but we never had to wait long to be seated. The wifi was free and pretty fast, though it was a tad intermittent and the staff were next to useless at giving any assistance. The overall attitude of the staff was surly which varied from the "gruff but useful" variety to the "genuinely annoyed that you're alive" variety. That said, we never let it bother us.

All in all though we couldn't have wished for a better located, cleaner hotel for such a good price. There's also a convenience store next door that's perfect for snacks, drinks and booze until pretty late.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel in the last 6 months and it was the same on both occasions. The rooms were quite spacious and were kept very clean. Bathrooms were similarly clean and maintained. Plenty of storage space. Facilities (tea/coffee, television, alarm etc) were fine. Unbelievably there are no in-room safes; surely this is standard?! A note on the back of the door clearly indicates that guests should see the management if they want to store valuables. I did, and when I approached reception, I was harangued by a staff member (more about her later!). As it transpired, by valuables survived my week's stay - but that isn't entirely the point. I suspect, but cannot confirm, that this is illegal. It is my understanding that by American law, hotels are required to provide secure storage for guests' valuable. I used the exercise room daily and it was good (though the heat pump seemed to have a mind of its own!) and great that there was water and fresh towels available. Breakfast was free (OK - 'included'), substantial, carbo-high and plentiful. I supplemented mine with fresh fruit each day and found it gave me plenty of energy. The man servicing the breakfast area was under pressure, but I suspect that this was because it really is a two-person job...at least for the busy part of the breakfast time. I was very happy with the housekeeping staff - they did a great job. You don't stay at this place for the surrounding area, that's for sure. There is very easy access to Manhattan on the subway, but for those wanting a more authentic experience, there is much to be gained by a 15 minute walk to Broadway, Queens (via the Socrates Sculpture park) and then a walk to Steinway Street. There are some very good local-style cafes and bakeries en route. The real problem with the hotel is the reception staff. My experience on both stays was the the male staff members (I encountered 4 different ones) vary from mildly helpful to uninterested (or perhaps apathetic might be a better description). The female staff member went out of her way to be unhelpful and, on two occasions, gratuitously rude. I also witnessed her being rude to three other quests. I chose not to interact with her after the first couple of days and it was no great loss. I didn't come to New York to make friends with hotel reception staff. Equally, I didn't come to the city to be harangued by a shrieking banshee. My other quibbles are minor in comparison (e.g. no list of television channels was provided, no information about hotel facilities or local information...a 4-5 page booklet would have solved this problem). It is such a pity that reception service lets this hotel down

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

I stayed at this hotel with my wife and two teenage daughters for a week long stay. Over all I found the location quite close to Manhattan and convienient to multiple subway stations and buses to get around NYC. Our room was fairly roomy compared to others that we have had in Manhattan for considerably less money. The free breakfast was nothing to write home about but we did not go hungry. The coffee they serve out of an automated machine is lousy and they had no cream, only milk. The person that takes care of keeping the area stocked could do a much better job. There is a gas station/store right next door to the hotel that makes much better coffee and we grabbed a cup there before going to the breakfast room. Our room was cleaned daily but we could never understand why the 2 women that worked on our floor always worked together and could not manage to each clean a seperate room at the same time and seemed to take for ever.
For the better part the staff is very unpleasant but I did encounter one gentleman that was very friendly and provided us with some great advice on local eateries that we could order food from or take a quick cab ride to get to. The choices for dining in the immediate area are very few and far between.
Although the staff was not a key feature of this hotel, the price and location would easily have me return for another stay.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Been to Country Inn & Suites NYC in Queens? Share your experiences!