“DINGEY STINKY TOWELS - SLOW INTERNET” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New York City in Queens, NY

You added Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New York City in Queens, NY to your Saves list
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New York City in Queens, NY
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4034 Crescent Street, Long Island City, NY 11101   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book a Business Package
Ranked #17 of 26 Hotels in Long Island City
Green Valley, AZ 85622
“DINGEY STINKY TOWELS - SLOW INTERNET”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

Parking is limited, and difficult with all this snow! Rooms are spacious and clean. Bed is moderately comfortable, and free breakfast is just that; the usual. All of the above is great for the price of the rooms. HOWEVER, there is no excuse for "white" towels that are grey and dingey in color and have the smell of body odor. Made me want to run to the neighborhood department store to buy a NEW towel to use. YUCK. Internet is free, and VERY slow. Business travelers will NOT get any work done here.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

Great room with a large comfortable bed. The metro is less than 5 mins down the road making this hotel incredibly well placed. The metro is very cheap and saves you a fortune compared with staying in Manhattan.

Breakfast was basic but plentiful. The breakfast area is quite small but we never had to wait long to be seated. The wifi was free and pretty fast, though it was a tad intermittent and the staff were next to useless at giving any assistance. The overall attitude of the staff was surly which varied from the "gruff but useful" variety to the "genuinely annoyed that you're alive" variety. That said, we never let it bother us.

All in all though we couldn't have wished for a better located, cleaner hotel for such a good price. There's also a convenience store next door that's perfect for snacks, drinks and booze until pretty late.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel in the last 6 months and it was the same on both occasions. The rooms were quite spacious and were kept very clean. Bathrooms were similarly clean and maintained. Plenty of storage space. Facilities (tea/coffee, television, alarm etc) were fine. Unbelievably there are no in-room safes; surely this is standard?! A note on the back of the door clearly indicates that guests should see the management if they want to store valuables. I did, and when I approached reception, I was harangued by a staff member (more about her later!). As it transpired, by valuables survived my week's stay - but that isn't entirely the point. I suspect, but cannot confirm, that this is illegal. It is my understanding that by American law, hotels are required to provide secure storage for guests' valuable. I used the exercise room daily and it was good (though the heat pump seemed to have a mind of its own!) and great that there was water and fresh towels available. Breakfast was free (OK - 'included'), substantial, carbo-high and plentiful. I supplemented mine with fresh fruit each day and found it gave me plenty of energy. The man servicing the breakfast area was under pressure, but I suspect that this was because it really is a two-person job...at least for the busy part of the breakfast time. I was very happy with the housekeeping staff - they did a great job. You don't stay at this place for the surrounding area, that's for sure. There is very easy access to Manhattan on the subway, but for those wanting a more authentic experience, there is much to be gained by a 15 minute walk to Broadway, Queens (via the Socrates Sculpture park) and then a walk to Steinway Street. There are some very good local-style cafes and bakeries en route. The real problem with the hotel is the reception staff. My experience on both stays was the the male staff members (I encountered 4 different ones) vary from mildly helpful to uninterested (or perhaps apathetic might be a better description). The female staff member went out of her way to be unhelpful and, on two occasions, gratuitously rude. I also witnessed her being rude to three other quests. I chose not to interact with her after the first couple of days and it was no great loss. I didn't come to New York to make friends with hotel reception staff. Equally, I didn't come to the city to be harangued by a shrieking banshee. My other quibbles are minor in comparison (e.g. no list of television channels was provided, no information about hotel facilities or local information...a 4-5 page booklet would have solved this problem). It is such a pity that reception service lets this hotel down

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

I stayed at this hotel with my wife and two teenage daughters for a week long stay. Over all I found the location quite close to Manhattan and convienient to multiple subway stations and buses to get around NYC. Our room was fairly roomy compared to others that we have had in Manhattan for considerably less money. The free breakfast was nothing to write home about but we did not go hungry. The coffee they serve out of an automated machine is lousy and they had no cream, only milk. The person that takes care of keeping the area stocked could do a much better job. There is a gas station/store right next door to the hotel that makes much better coffee and we grabbed a cup there before going to the breakfast room. Our room was cleaned daily but we could never understand why the 2 women that worked on our floor always worked together and could not manage to each clean a seperate room at the same time and seemed to take for ever.
For the better part the staff is very unpleasant but I did encounter one gentleman that was very friendly and provided us with some great advice on local eateries that we could order food from or take a quick cab ride to get to. The choices for dining in the immediate area are very few and far between.
Although the staff was not a key feature of this hotel, the price and location would easily have me return for another stay.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Woodbury, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2011

I've stayed here twice now, once April 2010 and most recently January 2011.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay again, and in fact probably will on the next trip in April this year.

The rates are incredible, in comparison to the sky high prices of Manhattan. Yet the location in Long Island City is as good, if not better than some hotels in Manhattan itself. Such is the public transport access (Q, N, 7 and F trains all within a couple minutes walk), you will be in midtown within 10 minutes.

Both times we stayed in a king size room with city view. Nice clean rooms, huge bed, microwave, fridge, coffee maker, well sized bathroom. The city view rooms are quiet at night time too, being as they are not situated on the main street.

As for breakfast, remember, its a 'thrown in' - and something you will rarely see at more expensive hotels in the city, and it's fine. Bagels, donuts, waffles, cereal, oatmeal, juices, coffee..... Sure the breakfast room is small, so just load it on a plate and take it to your room, problem solved!

The rate this January was $62+ tax, you couldn't get a single room with shared bathroom in the city for that. I know which I prefer.

Surly staff? Yep, thats probably the only complaint I have about the place. We where checked in and out by a very unfriendly Indian / Pakistani lady. She couldn't raise a smile. But, at the end of the day, its a minor point, as I had no issue to actually need to approach the staff at any other time - which is a credit to the way the hotel is run.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2011

The hotel room was good, the location was convenient for the Queensboro Plaza subway and the price was right for us.

However, our stay was spoilt by the unfriendly, unwelcoming and unhelpful behaviour and attitude of the management. Throughout our stay of six nights, it was clearly obvious that they were inadequately trained and totally lacking in the required skills to provide decent customer service.

In marked contrast to the other hotels were stayed at, at check-in we received no warm, friendly greeting or other words of welcome. Instead, we were repeatedly told by a very aggressive young man that we would be required to move to another room the next day; this despite him being repeatedly contradicted by a colleague saying that we would not need to move. Happily, in the end, a move was not required.

During the third day of our stay the in-room internet access stopped functioning, causing major problems for guests since there was only one internet access point in the lobby. Management were clearly disinterested in sorting out this problem and this issue was not resolved during our stay.

The 'complimentary' breakfast was generally appalling and much of the time some of the food items were unavailable. The size of the breakfast room was hopelessly inadequate for the number of guests. The sole person overseeing the food in the breakfast room was also responsible for emptying the refuse bins in that area.

As we were vacating the room before the required time we received a very aggressive phone call from a female employee stating that we needed to get out of the room.

Stay here only if good customer service is not important to you!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Glenn Dale, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2011

This is my experience about this place in a nutshell, but if you would like to know more details, please feel free to contact me.
this is a nice hotel, location and etc... but the front desk agents/service are so rude and nasty it is so sad. They actually stopped my guest while coming to visit me in my room and told him he cannot visit up in my room and he has to call me to come down so we can have visiting time in the LOBBY! Can you believe that? Her name is Jessica and was very rude, as I came down stairs she was screaming at the top of her lungs to my friend saying she will call the police. I have traveled all over the US and have never once been told room visits are not allowed. After she screamed at the top of her lungs for nothing, for a total of 15 mins, she switched up and said she will let him go if he agrees to give her id..ultimately, I felt so belittled and treated so badly. I asked to speak to a manager and for the 2nd day in a row the manager Patel was not there! Honestly I would rather stay in a hostel or a broke down bed bug free motel before I stay at this place.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New York City in Queens, NY? Share your experiences!