“great location, best for the price” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book a Business Package
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Long Island City
Budapest, Hungary
“great location, best for the price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2011

It is not easy to find a decent hotel with an affordable price in New York, so this one is kind of unique in this sense. The location is perfect, the subway station is only a five-minute-walk away, and you can be at Times Square in 15-20 minutes. The staff is kind, the rooms are surprisingly big and clean, the beds are really comfortable.

After a few days, the breakfast gets a bit boring, since it is the same every day and the breakfast area is a bit tiny, so you often have to queue up, but come on, you are in New York City - it is not a problem to find a good place to eat if you got bored with it.

So I would definitely recommend this hotel if you are looking for something cheaper, but still close to Manhattan.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Sao Paulo, SP
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

Apart from the location, which is quite good, I didn't like to hotel service, mainly during breakfast.

I think it was the worst breakfast I ever had in my life. Small space with a minimum choice of food and all tables with leftovers.

The room is ok, but I got torn sheet and a smelly room.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

The hotel is billed as a LaGuardia Airport convenient hotel, but it could be as long as a 25 minute drive from there and there is no shuttle.
Online we were to be given a room with two queen beds. In fact, we were given a suite with a King bed and a sofa bed in an adjacent room, which normally would have been great. However, linen was not provided in advance (we had to ask for it) and the sofa bed was ripped out underneath and could not hold the mattress flat. We had to put it out on the floor but it was horribly uncomfortable for our son. I informed the desk at check out but doubted the message would be conveyed. Also, the internet was down and could be accessed only in the lobby. A disappointing stay overall.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Manila, Philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

My family and I (two adults and three children) stayed here during a recent visit to NY. We chose this place because of the location.

Location is the only good thing that we a can say about our experience with this hotel. Everything else is mediocre or worse.

Was worried about bed bugs because of a previous review I read. Glad to report that we did not have bed bugs.

The sofa bed was damaged and was never replaced, or even any effort from the staff to correct the problem. Just an empty remark that they will try to do something about it.

The breakfast spread was mediocre and all we ever had was cereal and or waffles. Eggs were like eating a dry sponge and the sausages were just as dry. I had issues with the hygiene since there was only one staff attending to the breakfast spread and also with disposing garbage and unclogging our toilet with a plunger. Poor guy was tasked by management to do all these and other chores. He was good about attending to these tasks but I wonder if he ever had the time to even wash his hands.

The worst part of our stay had to be when they moved us from our room (for no good reason) without even notifying us! They literally just put my family's things in shopping bags and brought our things to another room. We were never even notified that there was a need or intent to move us to another room. They just left all our belongings in the shopping bags and left them in the other room for us to sort out when we got in after a long day going around Manhattan. We were too tired to deal with and just told them we found it very rude and unprofessional of them. The coded key cards were simply re coded and we could not even get into the room since we had been moved. We only found out when we went to the deskt to inform them that the key cards did not work. It was only then we found out they had moved us to another room.

In the process I realized that a cell phone that I had been charging was missing and I did a thorough inventory of our things. I informed the management and they engaged us in a futile debate to assure us that everything was moved. Of course since there was no check list or inventory and any kind of system applied during the move, all we had was there "assurance" that nothing was lost. The best they could do was ask they staff who of course would simply say they moved everything and that the guest that stayed in the room we were moved from would have mentioned if something had been left behind - lame excuse. They made no further effort or even pretended that no complaint was ever received by them.

I don't believe the cell phone was stolen, but I do believe it was lost or misplaced during our "eviction" from the room. It could not be accounted for because of the manner in which the move was conducted.

The management in this hotel is terrible and that is the reason I would recommend looking at other places to stay.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2010

Stayed here the first week of December. Room was nice and spacey. So was the bathroom, although water pressure in shower is not great. The beds were comfortable. Breakfast was fine, there always seemed to be room to sit, but I tended to have breakfast in my room. The area felt safe and choice of 3 subway stops within easy walking distance. Staff was fine and provided me with useful info when they learned I had to be at the Radio City Centre within half an hour after checking in….(I had lost a day of travel due to snow in Europe….).
New York in December was wonderful. I would not hesitate recommending this hotel to anyone and I would use it again in winter. For summer with my niece, I’ll choose something budget in Manhattan, though…..as every time I got into the subway back ‘home’ it really felt as though I was saying goodbye to Manhattan for the day…which I guess I was….

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2010

I read some of the reviews, some people said the staff was awful, but my experience was great. The Staff was incredible with me and very professional. I had the bad luck of being a traveler to NYC during last year's December 19th blizzard and when I arrived in NYC at night, all restaurants were closed.

The Hotel staff got me some toasts and cereals since the kitchen was closed, set me up, made some calls for me, let me use their phone, computer while setting up something to do that night and it didn't seem to bother them. Hotel is brand new, comfortable beds and Cable TV. Great closet, clean bathrooms and good pillows.

Best part is, it's 5 minutes from Manhattan for half if not more less the price of a Hotel in the city. And it comes with a view if you ask for a room with one. I am definitely going back to this hotel next time I am in the city.

Kudos

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Natal, Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2010

since these reviews below helped me a lot while i was choosing a hotel in nyc (thanks!), i think now its time for me to do mine.
when i did the reservation on last july, i found this rate of us$ 120.00 including taxes for a 2 queen guest room (for 4 people). my priorities were price and location, and, by the reviews i read here, those were good characteristics of the hotel. i also knew that i just couldnt expect much considering the price i paid for 9 nights (i stayed from november 24th until december 3rd), so i went there with very low expectations hehe.
i must say that, after the 10 days there, i was positively surprised. the hotel was much more than i expected.
the location is truly great, as the queensboro plaza subway station is very near the hotel. you actually have two options to enter into the station, and the nearest is just around the corner. the other is on the opposite side of the street. there are lines to manhattan that take about 10 minutes from this station. theres also the queens plaza station, which can be useful depending on the line youre taking and its just a bit farer at the same street. theres a convenience store beside the hotel and there are a few restaurants nearby (panini toast café, subway, dukin' doughnuts, etc). i used to eat at the first one, since they didnt serve only junk food and the pasta and salad were delicious. its next to the second entry of the queensboro plaza station.
i found the area very safe, especially considering that we walked from the subway stations to the hotel every night, sometimes even at dawn and we never felt insecure.
the room was big enough for 4 people. i didnt get one of the city view rooms and since they didnt even offer one of them, i dont think the city view is available for any of the 2 queen guest rooms. the room was cleaned everyday. it had everything we needed, including fridge and microwave, which were very useful a few times. the beds were very comfortable and i slept very well. the only thing id suggest a change would be the shower, once that i believe the water pressure could be stronger.
the free high speed internet was really useful for me, but sometimes it could be slower. i think they could be better in this aspect. besides, when i needed to print something, i had to go to the reception desk and theyd normally charge us$ 1.00 (which i honestly think its an absurd value) but depending on the quantity of sheets i printed theyd not charge hehe
i think this service should be free, as it is in many hotels.
the breakfast was typically yankee, with cornflakes, doughnuts, bagels, waffles, etc. the problem was that it was the same food everyday and, considering that i spent 10 days there, i just could put up with it for the first days. everything was made of plastic (plates, cutlery, etc) but i noticed thats the way it is everywhere in the us.
i really appreciated the staff attitude - thank you very much for everything. when i needed anything, theyd just get it for me. a lot of stuff was delivered for me by mail at the hotel, and they promptly received them and just called me or gave me as i arrived at the hotel. besides, a few hours before the checkout, i requested a mini-van to take us to the jfk airport and it was there on time and the driver charged us less than we expected - considering the normal price for the itinerary.
id definitely stay there again and i really recommended it for anyone!
for those who are going to nyc, i recommend very much buying the 7-day unlimited ride card for the subway and the new york city explorer pass.
please contact me if you have any question and have a great stay!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family

Been to Country Inn & Suites NYC in Queens? Share your experiences!