“love the king-size bed + convenient of subway” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book a Business Package
Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Long Island City
Canberra, Australia
“love the king-size bed + convenient of subway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

service is not too bad, some helpful staff, I'd say good value for money for our 4-night stay!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Newbridge, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

I stayed here for 5 days in september. I found the room to be very comfortable and clean. We had a room with a city view which was fantastic especially at night. The staff were very quiet I dont think their english was the best. The hotel is located 5 mins away from quensboro plaza subway station which offers rapid transit into manhatten. I found the area where the hotel is situated to be very quiet. The people in the area are very helpful and have no problem stopping and giving directions. The other great thing about this area is that there is a 24hr petrol station/shop located right beside the hotel. If you just need a hotel to use as a base when sightseeing this is the place for you.

I CANT WAIT TO GO BACK.....

boston ma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights, August 31 and Sept 1 2010. Overall it is a decent hotel. The room was clean, but smelled of cigarette smoke even though this is a non smoking hotel. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom worked (water pressure, etc) The internet access was easy.
My main negative is that the front desk staff was unable to smile. They just wouldn’t. I don’t expect big fake smiles all the time, but once in a while, pretend to enjoy your job folks, please? Don't look annoyed and put out when I check in.
I was gone all day and came back at 5pm and the room hadn't been made. I really wanted to kick back and relax, but instead had to go out again. I called the desk and they acted surprised that I wanted the room made up, as if it was normal to take so long.
Breakfast was a standard free breakfast…factory made bagels and donuts, cereal, yogurt, juice and a waffle making station. Also some strange looking “scrambled egg” discs, like the kind on an egg mcmuffin. I got up early so I didn’t encounter crowds in the breakfast room.
A note about the area: This is not a high crime area, but it is a quiet, semi- industrial area where the side streets are deserted at night. I wouldn’t recommend this location to women traveling alone as a result (busy pedestrian areas feel safer than empty streets). Not much in the way of local restaurants either. Access to the subway is very easy, only a block to the Queensboro Plaza station for the 7, N, and Q lines. Train service was very frequent and less than 10 minutes to midtown Manhattan.
I've stayed at other hotels in this chain and had a much better (friendlier) experience.
For the price I might stay here again, but I’d suggest booking it and then look for last minute deals in Manhattan, as the price can come close sometimes and you’ll get a more interesting neighborhood. but be careful how you book; Note that there is a 2 day advance cancellation deadline for refundable reservations, and some reservation categories are non refundable.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Martinsville, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

I was very pleased with this hotel. We were celebrating our 30th anniversary and had requested a room with a view, which was accomodated. We were out and about most of the time but when I did need something the staff did not hesitate to get it for us (extra towels) and brought them to the room within 5 mins! Any questions I had were answered promptly and they always looked up and smiled when we came in. I would highly recommend this hotel. It is in a safe area, the subway is nearby, the rooms are clean, there is a grocery store next door if needed, and we were treated respectfully. We had a wonderful time!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

I decided to book this hotel
because of the price, location (close to Manhattan), not to far from Laguardia airport & close to my mother. Upon arrival I checked in & realized I forgot the credit card I used when booking the hotel. I let the front desk personnel know & he was immediately defensive & rude. He never welcomed me to the hotel but immediately asked my name. I handed him the paper but he totally ignored my gesture & repeated "name please". That alone raised my frustration level! I raised my voice & stated I forgot my credit card & if there is anyway he can accommodate me anyway. He instantly said no that if I read their policy online I would've known! My credit card was refunded. Luckily, my brother had his credit card & paid for the hotel. Other than this incident I had a wonderful smooth stay! The room was clean, towels
clean, sheets clean, a/c worked great & even the night staff was able to call my brother a cab & was able to transfer us to a local pizza shop. I will definitely return! Forget some of the rude staff & enjoy this great hotel! The train station is about 1 block away (n,r,&7), the NYC skyline across the river, a 24/7 gas station next door! Thanks again, Comfort Inn & Suite!

• Stayed September 2010
Glasgow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010

I stayed in this hotel for an 8-night vacation with friends in early Sept 2010. We chose this hotel because of the decent rate (cheaper compared to Manhattan, although still way overpriced for what the hotel actually offers), and for its proximity to three different subway stations, which made it really easy to get to Manhattan.

The hotel is fairly new (opened 2009) but rooms are quite small, even for European standards. Complementary internet and breakfast included in the room rate were a plus, although the breakfast room and buffet area are so small that you will find yourself fighting, queueing, then punching other people for a table, a bagel, and a cup of coffee (although possibly in a different order). Basically whoever designed the hotel decided it was fine to build a breakfast space that could hold no more than 60 at any one time for an establishment that accommodates up to 300+ guests when at capacity. Not a great experience.

The other major issue with the reception staff - as many other travellers already said in their reviews, these are basically rude, unhelpful, dismissive, or at best indifferent at any issues guests might have. The level of English language spoken by a number of them is not really up to scratch, and they often speak amongst themselves in other languages (spanish, hindi) making it impossible to understand what is actually going on when guests asks them for something. My friend was ill during our stay and the staff were unable to recommend a doctor, hospital, or health service nearby - and did not even try to look for anything on the yellow pages but replied to our request for advice with a caring "you can look it up on the internet yourselves." There is no secure room to leave bags at check out, but one has to leave them in the hall/breakfast area at their own risk. Bags don't get tagged so there also is the risk that if not stolen, another traveller might mistakingly pick up your bags thinking they're theirs. We pointed out that to the staff who replied "then you will have to take the bags with you."

Minor issues were dirty towels (it looked like blood) on two different days, and the air conditioning filter not having being changed for who knows how long - it stank SO badly you couldn't switch it on!

Apart from this the (overpriced but ok for NYC on Labor Day week) $145/night rate made it worth it to bear a long series of annoyances.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Toronto, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

CONS:
- Absolutely zero chance of an early check in or late check out. The staff could not be bothered to extend either, even though it was apparent that there was no way this hotel was at 100% occupancy.
- They had no secure location to store baggage, as numerous other people have posted on this site. The clerk at the counter told me to just put my bags in the corner, at my own risk. Regardless of this hotel not being a full service property, they should atleast at minimum offer a safe place for their guests to place their bags before they can check in/out.

PROS
- Seems like a very safe area. I didn't feel unsafe walking to and from the subway station or gas station (for snacks) at any point...regardless of the time.
- Subway train VERY, very close. Q and N lines run to the La Guardia Airport shuttle (recommended) and the 7 as well as Q and N both run into Manhattan. (I personally recommend the 7 into Times Square or the N to Lexington)

The room was very clean, housekeeping was very prompt and polite when requesting extra towels and other amenities.

The ONLY downfall of this property was the staff. I expected a lot more, but then again..you get what you pay for and this is most certainly not a 5* accommodation.

If you are unable to get an affordable rate somewhere in Manhattan, then I throughly recommend this hotel. Purchase a $27.00 MTA metropass (valid for one week) and you're all set. I just advise that if you intend to arrive to the hotel and leave your bags, ensure that you have nothing valuable left in them because with the lack of care and hospitality the staff extends, your valuables may disappear before check in.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Country Inn & Suites NYC in Queens? Share your experiences!