“Good alternative for expensive Manhattan hotels” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book a Business Package
Ranked #17 of 25 Hotels in Long Island City
Baarn, The Netherlands
“Good alternative for expensive Manhattan hotels”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2009

I stayed at this hotel and I was impressed. Rooms are new and large. I had a room with a city view. However on my first day the view was obstructed by fog, but you cannot blame the hotel for that. The fridge was small, not suitable for large bottles. I liked the big plasma tv. And of course the free wifi internet which might be slow sometimes. Free breakfast is also great but the small breakfast-room fills up quickly so consider taking food to your room. Rooms have coffeemaking facilities. A gas station next door sells food and drinks and they are open for 24 hours. Staff is friendly and helpful. The area around the hotel is not very inviting but I never felt unsafe at dark. The Queensboro Plaza subwaystop is nearby with lines 7, N and W stopping. Don't however confuse it with Queens Plaza which is on E.

Stayed November 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Newfoundland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2009

We stayed here for three nights in mid-November while on a short vacation to NYC. I was initially hesitant about the inconvenience of not staying in Manhattan, but with several subway stations within a few blocks of the hotel that run to the major attractions (Grand Central, Times Square, Central Park), that was a non-issue. It was probably quicker to get to Times Square from here than if we stayed in Chelsea or the Village.

The hotel is new, and as such is quite clean. Our room (king sized bed, quite comfy) was big enough for two large suitcases and various belongings, with room to move about. Bathroom was about standard for a normal hotel, but large compared to NYC hotels I've stayed in. Service was good (not that we required that much).

Economically, our stay here made a lot of sense. The cost per night was much cheaper than staying in a similar hotel in Manhattan. Cab fare from LGA was less than $20. Included breakfast saved us some $$ on eating (though the breakfast area crowds quickly, there are coffee, fruit and yogurt to take with you if you don't want to wait). And free wireless was greatly appreciated! We paid a bit extra for a "city-view" room which was nice... but maybe not worth it. Not sure if that eliminated street noise though (not having been on the other side).

The area in which the hotel is situated doesn't hold much else, but still had enough people about to feel safe coming back from the subway stop around midnight. A 24-hour gas station right next to the hotel helps with that. I was a bit worried about "luggage storage" when we checked out - it's an area next to the check-in desk and behind the free-to-use computer. But there are usually 2 or 3 people behind the desk keeping an eye on things.

Overall I was quite pleased with this stay and would consider staying here again in future.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Queens Country Inn a few weeks ago. We had planned to be there for five nights but

had to cut our trip short when the cleaning staff stole items from my room and the hotel refused to compensate me.

We had been at Central Park for much of the day and when we returned to the hotel, I noticed my toiletry bag

(containing an electric shaver worth $200) was no longer in the bathroom. Aware the cleaning staff had been in the room

earlier in the day, I immediately went down to the front desk and told them what had happened. I was told the morning

cleaners had gone home for the day but the man at the front desk assured me he would check with them the following

morning. Content the issue was being adequately dealt with, I went back up to my room for the night.

I returned to the front desk the following morning and was told the cleaning woman had thrown my toiletry bag out,

evidently thinking it was garbage (if she hadn't actually pocketed it). The woman at the front desk apologized for the

mistake and admitted the hotel was at fault.

But then things quickly took a turn for the worse. I asked the hotel how they planned to compensate me for my loss and

was told that even though Queens Country Inn was at fault, I wouldn't be compensated.

In fact, the front desk clerk went so far as to blame me for leaving the bag on the floor where it could be construed

as garbage! Never mind the fact that in addition to the electric razor there was shaving gel and my allergy medication

inside the bag. Or the fact that the bag looked like nothing like garbage. I was told I was to blame.

(As this conversation was taking place, a young couple standing behind me was watching the whole scene. We spoke

afterwards and they decided to check out of the hotel because of the unprofessional conduct of the front desk.)

During the midst of the conversation, the front desk clerk told me the hotel was prepared to offer 20% off my next

stay. When I told them I wouldn't again stay at a hotel where the staff took items from my room and refused to

compensate me for them, I was told to take it or leave it.

I then asked to speak with the manager and was told he wasn't in the hotel. At this point, another man who identified

himself as a hotel clerk jumped into the conversation. He was incredibly rude and confrontational. I, again, asked to

speak to the manager and was told by everyone at the front desk that he wasn't available.

I learned the following day after a call to the head office that the extremely rude man I dealt with at the front desk

was actually the manager! As if the entire experience wasn't unprofessional enough, he lied about his title and had me

chasing a phantom manager for 24 hours.

At this point, my girlfriend and I decided we had to check out. We had booked our stay through a third-party website

and when the third-party tried to switch us to another hotel, they were told by the Queens Country Inn that we wouldn't

be allowed to leave without paying the early checkout fee!

At this point, not knowing what else to do, I called the police and told them what happened. When the third-party

website learned what we were going through, they agreed to pay the early checkout fee themselves, coming to our aid

because it was an "extraordinary situation."

I contacted the Country Inn head office a couple more times in the days that followed and while I dealt with

sympathetic and professional people there, they wouldn't compensate me either, saying it was the individual hotel's

responsibility. The head office employee I spoke to seemed genuinely disappointed in how the hotel had acted. She was

actually part of a conference call in which I learned the rude man was actually the manager and she seemed just as

dismayed by how he presented himself as I was.

I am now pursuing the matter through the civil courts. Will I win? I don't know. But the Queens Country Inn simply

shouldn't be able to get away with acting in such a manner.

Do yourself a favour. Book another hotel.

Travelers are raving about these Long Island City hotels

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2009

We took advantage of the 5-night special, which included a fridge and microwave for $100 per night. Excellent value!

The shuttle bus from JFK airport cost $19 each. Beware those people offering rides, and give the impression they're associated with the authorized shuttle companies, but are in fact just private drivers.

Room was great, comfortable and very quiet, and bathroom clean. Internet worked fine.

Breakfast was good with cereals, yoghurt, breads, pastries, waffles, and beverages. The mini sausages were acceptable in small doses, and the reconstituted scrambled eggs definitely lost something in the transformation process.

The staff was also quite helpful with our queries.

There was a continually annoying problem with the room key cards, as they would literally fail every day and needed to be reauthorized.

Having mastered the NY subways, our departure back to JFK involved us taking the subway from Queens Plaza (a block past the Queensborough plaza) and then onto the JFK air train. There’s a lift on the plaza street corner to help with luggage. This was a very cheap way of getting back, even though it took roughly an hour and a half (with some time wasting along the way). An option might also be to take a very short taxi ride to the plaza street corner, however the afternoon traffic was very slow.

If we’re ever back in NY again, Country Inn & Suites is at the top of our list.

Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2009

Joined my husband on one of his business trips as I've never visited NYC. In years past he has stayed in Manhattan but with this employer he's very mindful of his expense account. Because he needed a rental car to call on his accounts outside of the city, he chose the Country Inn not only for the reasonable room rate but also to avoid hefty garage fees. I will admit I was initially disappointed when I learned he'd booked something outside of Manhattan. I was also a bit concerned about safety as I had plans to explore the city alone while he was with clients.

My fears were put to rest VERY quickly upon arrival of the hotel. It is new, clean, and quiet. We had a room on the 8th floor which overlooked the Manhattan skyline - GORGEOUS. The bed was very comfy, microwave and small fridge, granite countertop in bath. We arrived late one evening but had dinner delivered from nearby Pete's Diner (great food, huge portions, expedient delivery, reasonably priced).

There are only 6-7 parking spaces out front so parking is prime. However, there is a 24 hour secured parking lot 1/2 block down the street (only $15 per night as opposed to the $45+ per night at hotels in Manhattan).

Our mode of transportation into the city was via the "N" train which is only 2 blocks from the hotel. It made very convenient stops and was easy to learn. From the sub's station, there's not as much foot traffic back to the hotel at night which made us a little cautious but overall we felt safe. I walked to the station by myself with no hesitation in the mornings.

The desk staff is very helpful. The only little gliche we had during our stay was our need to repeat a request for clean towels. Not a big deal, just a little curious as to what happened after our initial request.

I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel. It is good for a girls' trip, business traveler , couples' getaway, or entire family.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Twin Cities, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2009

We had searched for low cost hotels in Manhattan to compliment the bargain basement airfares we got throught Sun Country airlines. NO LUCK. Everything was over $200 per night. I happened across this hotel through Trip Advisor. SO HAPPY to have found it. One and a half blocks from the subway stop. Quiet (and our room was next to the elevator!) Spotlessly clean and modern. Easy to accomplish since it just opened in September, 2009. Big flat panel TV. Mini frig and microwave. Convenience store/gas station next door. Nice breakfast included every morning. Only complaint from me was the heavy duvet/comforter. WAY TOO hot to sleep under. Try the nice cotton blanket we found on the top shelf in the closet...

Las Vegas, NV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2009

As stated, brand new property - with all the good (and other) that goes with that. Immaculately clean, one and one-half blocks from the elevated train line. Not historically a residential neighborhood - but that seems to be changing judging by the two new highrise apartment buildings between the hotel and the el. Very few places open in the neighborhood at night - except for the 24 hour gas station next door - which has an amazing selection of snacks and beverages, mostly for use by the unending stream of taxicabs that stop there. Because of that, there probably isn't a better place around to get a cab. Room was spacious (we upgraded to an 'executive' room) and had everything we could want - plus the microwave and refrigerator, a nice touch. We faced the street and it was surprisingly quiet. Exercise room was basic but servicable. Because of jet lag, didn't get a chance to sample the included breakfast, but was told by other guests that it was quite nice. Only drawback was having assistant manager pound on the door at 6:30 in the AM - he was trying to locate a room that had a water leak that was apparently dripping into the lobby. It wasn't our room and we weren't the only ones that got the unexpected early morning wake up :-) Would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Been to Country Inn & Suites NYC in Queens? Share your experiences!