“Clean and great location in Queens” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New York City in Queens

You added Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New York City in Queens to your Saves list
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New York City in Queens
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   40-34 Crescent Street, Long Island City, NY 11101   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Try our Business Package
Ranked #19 of 26 Hotels in Long Island City
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Clean and great location in Queens”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Nothing fancy, but clean. Breakfast included. Easy access to Queensboro Plaza for easy connections to the N, Q and 7 lines. Pleasant stay. Perfect for base of operations to explore the city, since it is just off the first train stop coming back from Manhattan.

Room Tip: If you are taking public transportation, take the M60 from LGA to 31st & Hoyt, and connect easil...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality

Gurgaon, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

In a fast & furious city like New York you need a peaceful environment - close to public transport, good, clean rooms with basic amenities - Country Inn at Long Island gives all of that. The hotel is run by an all-Indian staff so it was much easier for me to be at home from the time I checked in. Rooms are decent and breakfast is also standard New York breakfast. They have a grocery store next door and several restaurants on the main road, closer to the subway stations. Manhattan is not too far & connectivity to all major attractions in NY is easier.

I seriously would recommend if you just need a place for a long stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor as rooms on the lower floors can be noisy in the night considering th...
Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Smithfield, Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

We were traveling with a 21-month old and it was 90+ degrees outside and, as you probably know, NYC is not exactly a quiet, laid back, relaxing location with easy parking. So the last thing I needed was two incredibly rude and condescending front desk staff "greeting" me on the way in, unfortunately that's what I got. After the nasty greeting I had the audacity to report back that the room keys didn't work, so Mr. Condescending "helped" me by recoding the keys and escorting me up, as if the bad key cards was MY fault. Dude, I know how to use a key card.

The room was fine, though nothing special. Thankfully the A/C worked, so that was good. We did not partake in the complimentary breakfast so I can't comment on that.

Unfortunately the worst was to come about an hour after we checked out we realized that my wife had left her diamond earrings in the room. I called the front desk who contacted housekeeping, who then said that they "could not find them". Folks, let's call a spade a spade. Housekeeping stole the earrings. Trust me that the earrings very likely did not get up and walk away on their own. So far the hotel has only apologized for "not being able to locate them". If only they'd apologize for stealing them, I'd have a tad bit more respect for them.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank TravelerRob
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New York City in Queens, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
We apologize for the disappointing service you received from the staff. We want to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive the best service. To discuss your concern further, please contact Corporate Customer Care.

Travelers are raving about these Long Island City hotels

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

We always stay at Manhattan every time we go to New York. But we thought of giving Country Inn and Suites a try this time at Queens since we are member of the Rewards program of the Hotel chain. But it is a huge mistake. Sometimes, hotels who charge cheaper give you "cheap" service too! And this is the perfect case.
I was disappointed when I called the hotel to arrange a "surprise" for my husband upon our arrival. The Guest Service agent whose name is Phrish, was very rude. He told me that they don't have a Restaurant and the hotel cannot arrange something like that. He also said, that "they have nothing!" He shut me off, even without trying. He sounded demotivated, unfriendly and very rude.
Upon check-in, the service agent was not warm and friendly. I can't imagine why they're not trained as "Guest Services Associates!" I wonder if their managers taught them Customer Service and Guest Engagement. It was horrible horrible service.
The interior of the hotel was crappy! We booked a suite but it doesnt feel like a suite.
It was only a big SIGH on my part cuz I was the one who suggested to stay in this hotel. If I had known, we should have just stayed in Manhattan even if we pay more than to be treated like crap in a crappy Queens Hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Pink B
Summerville, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We had reservations at The Country Inn and Suites for two nights June 27 and 28 in Queens NY.
The hotel sits in the middle of an industrial area off Queens Blvd On Crescent Street. A taxi yard full of cabs is opposite the hotel. There is no parking facility except for a nearby lot where we left our car for one hour and were charged $10. We parked there overnight and it cost us $15. The hotel was clean and comfortable. The A/C worked fine. Furnishings were sparse and dated. (One chair lowered upon seating) The TV worked and the towels were adequate for use. We were distant from our family on Long Island (Greenvale) and the roads to and from the hotel were replete with pot holes and cracked pavements. A full breakfast was available in the morning self-served and quite expansive. Juices, cereal, waffles self made, eggs and bacon, coffees and tea, fresh fruit etc. well worth the daily room rate. Our experience with this hotel chain in Summerville South Carolina prompted us to stay at their Queens location.

Room Tip: A Double bed is most economical. Room size is adequate. Coffee maker in the room. Hair dryer in Bath...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Arnold R
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

This seems to be a hotel guests either love or hate according the previous reviews. In my opinion your experience at this hotel is totally dependant of your expectations. This it's not a Manhattan hotel charging 350+ dollars per night, but a convenient located Queens hotel charging around 150 dollars per night at high seasons. It is with this in mind I will write my review.

LOCATION
I knew beforehand this hotel is located close to the Metro Station Queensborough Plaza. Still I was surprised how super close it actually was to this station. Yeah, I'm a fast walker, but getting from the Metro Station to the hotel only took a couple of minutes by foot. And the area feels completely safe, on the edge of being cool and upcoming. I walked here day and night and never felt insecure. Also getting from Queensborough Plaza to Central Manhattan is maximum ten minutes so I would definitely say the hotel's location is great.

CHECK IN
At the reception I was barely greeted, and not even the word "welcome" was said. Instead the check in process started immediately. A copy of my passport was taken, and I was given two key cards for my room. I tried to show my Club Carlson Silver card, but the receptionist paid no interest to it and I was not recognized as a member, nor given the room upgrade I'm entitled to as a silver member. Not a very personal check in, but very efficient. In all it took maximum five minutes and then I was on my way to my room.

ROOM
I had booked, and paid extra, for a room with Manhattan skyline view. Being allocated to a room on the sixth floor this is exactly the view I got. It was amazing overlooking Manhattan both day and night. It's a beautiful and iconic view giving the room that extra inch of luxurious feel. The room itself was relatively big. A huge king size bed stood in the middle, and it was very comfortable to sleep in. The pillows where plenty and of good quality. I stayed at the hotel for 14 nights, and each one of them where great when it comes to sleep quality. Bed linen where changed daily and always felt nice and clean. Also the bathroom was big with a massive mirror over the toilet. The shower was great with good water pressure and always warm water available. We got new towels every day.

What's nice at this hotel is that it provides both a fridge and a micro wave oven in the room. We used these features a lot, as we didn't really ate the breakfast provided at the hotel (see why further down). There was also a big desk, a closet and several drawers in the room. Space was never an issue, not even after two weeks of shopping.

What I did lack in the room was a safe. They certainly have room for that, but I guess they didn't install them because of cost reasons. We had to keep our valuables in our locked suitcases when we were not in the room. In the end nothing was stolen, removed or replaced but a safe is still what I consider basic at any hotel room.

The wi fi was free, and at most times pretty fast and reliable. Sometimes, especially during afternoons and evenings when a lot of guest used it at the same time the connection went a bit slow. But most times it was more than sufficient and logging on to it was super easy.

There are two lifts in the building. Usually we didn't have to wait for them. Be aware though that during room cleaning hours the maids basically consider the lifts as their own. When checking out we were surprised to see the maids pushing their way into the lifts even though we stood in line for them with all our luggage.

BREAKFAST
At this hotel breakfast is included. This is not the reason I chose this hotel but I decided to anyway give the breakfast a go my first morning. I never returned though. You do get the basics here, coffee, tea, bagels, cream cheese and juices. However everything is served on paper or plastic and the food has a cheep feel about it. It's hard to find anything healthy here, and there are no vegetables whatsoever. The other mornings I had breakfast in my room with own bought food kept in the fridge in my room. To me this was totally fine. However if the included breakfast is the reason for choosing the hotel, you should be cautious.

CHECK OUT
Just like check in, check out was fast and efficient. No questions asked how I liked the room or if I would consider returning, just printing the bill and having me sign it. This is however a good time to once again mention the competitive price at this hotel. My invoice for 14 nights was probably about 45 percent of any Manhattan hotel. This is the main reason I rate this a four out of five hotel. It offers good value for money!

When returning to New York in the future I would probably stay at this hotel, given the prices are still as competitive. In the end that's probably the best review any hotel can get. Don't hesitate to book this hotel unless the included breakfast is of extra importance to you.

Room Tip: I would say it's worth it to pay the premium rate for Manhattan skyline views. Also these rooms...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
7 Thank Joakim N
Tulsa, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We are loyal to stay with a hotel line and have always been pleased with the Country Inn and Suites. This property was the exception. The price (for NYC area) and location (easy subway access) were the pros. The property is very dirty. The first thing you see when you walk in the lobby is a torn/tattered couch and the side of a chair that has something crusty dried on it, and crooked light sconces with only 1 light working. I told myself "it's just needing a little cleaning after a busy day of guests coming and going." Sadly, that wasn't the case. The room we were assigned was in the basement (which was okay with us, though it seemed odd since we booked months in advance). On check-in we were told "if you aren't happy with the room, call us in the morning after 9"...we weren't sure what to make of that comment. I asked what he meant since we had not even seen the room. He said "some people just don't like the basement...but rooms are all about the same". Things went downhill from there. The carpets in the hallway were not only in need of a good sweep (and stayed that way the entire visit), but were terribly stained and worn. To the point of gross. Our room was very small but functional. The bathroom was very small and only had a tiny space to put a few toiletries around the sink area. Not what we usually find in the Country Inn and Suites, but we knew we could make do. There were smears and crusted "stuff" here and there on the walls in the room. Easy to wipe and clean, but clearly had not been done. The cooling system was loud and pipes thumped. The breakfast area was disgusting. I literally would not let me kids eat anything that could be spoiled. My husband had a boiled egg that was green tinted and lukewarm. The handles on the silver heat servers were never cleaned the entire stay. I know this because there were crusted over pieces of food on the handle and those pieces stayed there the entire visit. I went in for a hot tea one night and found that the counters in the breakfast room still had crumbs from breakfast all over them. Every knob or handle that I touched had sticky on them. Gross and so unnecessary. If you plan to park in the lot that is across the street, be aware that the price will not necessarily be what is quoted you by the hotel. On arrival, we discovered that our cost per day would be higher because we were in a mini-van, not a car. And despite the lot attendant telling you "it will be safe", don't presume it will be. We left with a 3 inch wide scrap on the front of our van. We are not complainers and can usually make the best of about anything. Unfortunately, that did not serve us well this time. We should have checked out after the first night. We were there just under a week and we were all very ready to get out of there by the end of the stay. The price may draw you, but we would have paid more to feel good about putting our luggage on the floors or to have breakfast without wondering if it was safe to eat. Enjoyed the fun things NYC had to offer, but definitely do not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
      Rooms
3 Thank Mary_H_C_M526RR
CarlsonRezidor, online customer support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New York City in Queens, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize for the dissatisfaction of your stay. We take the time to listen to your constructive comments so we can continually improve our services.